The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2022, 11:44 AM   #1
Toefl525
"TRF" Member

Yes or nah

Hi, I am new to AP and never own one. I visited AP store last couple weeks and I got offer this today. Is this a good start to build up relationship with the AD? TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 260217E0-A526-4821-89B5-AEEB1494BB30.jpeg (207.0 KB, 818 views)
Toefl525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 08:49 PM   #2
just1time
"TRF" Member

Is it a watch you want? Or a watch you want to waste money on just to start a relationship with an AD?
I was offered the same watch on my first visit to a boutique. I declined. Watch does nothing for me. I was then offered a nice 26420TI afterwards.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 09:49 PM   #3
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Only get if you love it and want it. There are also plenty of other Codes (dial colors, case materials, complications, etc.) to look at if you indeed love the Code design. They are also not very hard to find from ADs (sometimes with a slight wait and besides some very limited high complications).
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 10:28 PM   #4
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
That’s a fantastic piece, and if I had a larger wrist it would be my next watch. Sadly, the Codes are all too big for me . . .

Yes, great way to begin a journey with AP!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 11:07 PM   #5
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

If a Code is what you fancy, then for sure this is a sweet configuration. Can’t go wrong with blue.

And the big benefit is that it’ll highly likely lead to a RO in 1-2 years so long as you’re a decently likable guy (which should be the case).
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:06 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I would change the question to… do I need a relationship with AP?

Things to consider:
- Will I realistically, want to and have the ability to, purchase 3-4 APs in the next 2-3 years?
- Does the cost of purchasing a model(s) you don’t want out weight (cheaper) purchasing the goal piece from grey?
- Does the experience of purchasing at a AD/Boutique mean anything to you?
- What is your end goal? Follow-up, would you realistically want the goal piece after waiting 1-3 years?

I’m sure there are a lot more questions to consider, but I use these questions to determine if I want to start/work on a new AD relationship.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:54 AM   #7
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefl525 View Post
Is this a good start to build up relationship with the AD? TIA
I also visited a store last week and was told purchasing such watch will help build a relationship. However, they made it clear that even with a history, if I want to get a RO, they need 3 approvers and then the president decides who gets what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
I was then offered a nice 26420TI afterwards.
How long ago was that?
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:15 AM   #8
Spin27
"TRF" Member

I agree with everything said thus far. Only buy what you love and will enjoy wearing. That said, I absolutely love that reference and think it is an excellent first AP. The Code 11.59 cannot be appreciated until you have a chance to see it on the wrist. At a minimum I recommend going to the boutique to try it on. You will figure out right away if it’s the one for you. This purchase will definitely be a great way to begin the relationship if that is the direction you wish to go.
Spin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:07 AM   #9
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
What a beautiful piece of code in that color combination.

I think it is a win-win to get this piece and also start a rs with your AD.

Try it first and you know what I mean.

Code is quite underrated imo.
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:34 AM   #10
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Yes or nah

The code is a wonderful piece imo. I even own one.

But asking on a forum if a yay or nay for purchasing a $60K watch …. You should take the time and decide if this is something you really want. You could go grey for that price if all you really want is a RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 05:55 AM   #11
joa
"TRF" Member

if you intend to buy APs for many years to come, then building a relationship that allows to purchase at MSRP is the prudent thing. A collection assembled on MSR prices is probably more durable over the long run
Old 25 May 2022, 02:18 PM   #12
Toefl525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it a watch you want? Or a watch you want to waste money on just to start a relationship with an AD?
I was offered the same watch on my first visit to a boutique. I declined. Watch does nothing for me. I was then offered a nice 26420TI afterwards.
I eventually got it as I really like it when I saw it in person. Thank you for your input.
Old 25 May 2022, 02:26 PM   #13
Toefl525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[QUOTE=noobs;12179576]I also visited a store last week and was told purchasing such watch will help build a relationship. However, they made it clear that even with a history, if I want to get a RO, they need 3 approvers and then the president decides who gets what.

I eventually got the code. When I was there at AP store, there was a guy who seem to be DM of the company sat with us. He talked about that he will help he get the next watch I want.
Old 25 May 2022, 02:28 PM   #14
Toefl525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin27 View Post
I agree with everything said thus far. Only buy what you love and will enjoy wearing. That said, I absolutely love that reference and think it is an excellent first AP. The Code 11.59 cannot be appreciated until you have a chance to see it on the wrist. At a minimum I recommend going to the boutique to try it on. You will figure out right away if it’s the one for you. This purchase will definitely be a great way to begin the relationship if that is the direction you wish to go.
I totally agree with you. The code is look absolutely stunning in real.
Old 25 May 2022, 05:48 PM   #15
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

I have the same exact watch. I like it, I have it on a blue leather strap from AP. It’s a fly back chrono.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 05:02 PM   #16
Vesper Lynd
Banned

If you like it, it's suitable, if you don't, it's not.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote