The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 12:23 PM   #31
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Although for me it would personally be a no.

But it’s not my collection, it is your collection and you know what you want and desire.

I think it’s pretty simple really. You have a watch that you never wear and don’t seem to have much interest in doing so. You like the new BLROs. Just move the red Sub and enjoy the new BLRO. You only live once, buy and enjoy something you will actually get out and wear.

No point in Cole ting things that are ultimately superfluous in the grand scheme.
Old 23 January 2024, 12:55 PM   #32
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
No way.

But with a caveat….
If you’re Red 1680 isn’t 100% correct or has a weak case, I’d consider it. As a vintage lover, a truly original watch is special. Overpolished, incorrect vintage is not.

And to those saying the BLRO is not special; it most certainly is, imo. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so smitten with a watch. I’ve only collected vintage prior to this and it hasn’t left my wrist since I bought it 6 months ago.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:05 PM   #33
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I kept trying to post a reply earlier but the drool over a 1680 kept me from typing on my IPad.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:19 PM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Red subs are pretty cool but unless you are into them, it's just an old watch. Which if in good shape a lot of collectors will pay handsomely for. I've tried on some of these older Rolexes and while I'm sure they were rockin' it back in the day, they feel a little fragile these days, especially with a non-locking clasp. Like anything else, if you aren't feeling it, move it along. While old and not made anymore, they aren't especially rare.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:50 PM   #35
noshame
"TRF" Member

Personally, I would keep the Red Sub. Best of luck.
Old 23 January 2024, 02:14 PM   #36
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duralex View Post
CPO 1680 from Govberg is 24,950. Whether CPO guaranteed means 100% original I don’t know. Depends on the definition of original.
Thanks for the info
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:50 PM   #37
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
wear the sub it look great on your mature wrist.........
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:53 PM   #38
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
deleted double post
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:26 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d consider the trade, especially since you don’t wear it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:29 PM   #40
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

No way. Not just for the personal bias and reasons, but its a very bad straight trade unless your sub has been dragged through gravel. You should get some cash too.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:31 PM   #41
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Do what makes you happy. I'd do it considering you don't wear it and no one in your family would appreciate it down the road. No enjoyment in just sticking it back in the safe to never be worn again.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:35 PM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
I currently have a few Vintage Rolex Sports watches as well as a few modern. One of my Vintage watches is a 1971 Red Submariner (shown recently in the Vintage Sub-Forum here). I've owned it for ~30 years and had it serviced by the NY RSC in 2005, I wore it a few months after the service, and put it in my bank's safe deposit box in late 2005 where it has remained until late week.

Last week was the first time in ~19 years it's seen the light of day. I retains its original 9315 bracelet as well as a 93150 I put on it 20+ years ago, service papers, etc... I'm now faced with the situation where I don't want to put it back at the bank, and I genuinely don't see myself wearing it at age 69 given the other modern watches I have... I'm also in downsizing/simplifying mode having sold (4) of my 60's muscle cars, my boat and some other things in order to make things easier for my family in the future..

About the only new Rolex I'd want to add to my small collection is a new Pepsi BLRO on Oyster. Obviously it's not the best time to purchase a BLRO, but I don't have a crystal ball and have no desire to attempt to predict the future...

Would you consider this a relatively even swap if I found someone with a late NIB BLRO who wanted a Red Sub?

The Vintage Subs, Sea Dwellers and GMTs were my first love in Rolex, however things and circumstances can change over time and age.

thank you

I would keep the red sub as long as you have all the paperwork, and start wearing it thats what its for, no way I would trade it for any modern day Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:56 PM   #43
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
The watch stayed in a bank safe for almost 20 yrs. I see no point in keeping it if it's not part of regular rotation.
So, yes, get rid of it and get a watch you would enjoy for the years the come. If Pepsi appeals, get one instead of the red Sub.
Old 23 January 2024, 10:18 PM   #44
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
With the sale of cars and a boat you should be able to purchase the BLRO you want from one of our Trusted Sellers for cash. I would go that route and wear it for a bit and see if it is everything you thought it would be. I would find out the value of your Submariner and if after a short while of ownership of the BLRO you still want to move it I would sell it. Many vintage dealers would love to have it and will pay cash. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:00 PM   #45
Norbert
"TRF" Member

No. You can buy a Pepsi anytime new, but you can never buy a Red Sub anymore.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:07 PM   #46
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Yes - because it's just stuff. Once you're gone those left behind certainly won't appreciate it. Do the swap and enjoy each day!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:42 PM   #47
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

I've been at a dinner before where I wore my ceramic BLRO and 2 other dads at nearby tables had the same watch. It's a special watch, but its specialness is overblown. If anything, a red 1680 such as yours is underappreciated! So please own both.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:13 AM   #48
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Past sentimental value (a big factor for me because most of my watches commemorate something special), if you're trading something you don't wear and don't particularly want for something that you will wear and do want, I say do the trade.

The 126610BLRO (and the 19) is a watch which you can wear every day and if you're anything like me you won't want to take it off. Relative scarcity or commonality don't factor in for me. It's a beautifully balanced watch, physically and aesthetically. So long as I can keep my BLRO it doesn't matter to me how many other people own one, or don't.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:15 AM   #49
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
I’d say get/wear only what you like, regardless of age value or whatever. The Sub has been in a safe untouched for 19 years and OP is thinking about parting with it. Don’t know what else is needed. Pretty obvious to me. Also, OP is at an age where he doesn’t care how rare a watch will be in the future and indicated that the vultures would sell it anyway.
This. We all talk about wear what you love, what puts a smile on your face. It appears the OP has fallen out of love with this watch. He's getting to the age where he doesn't need the investment part of this watch, and has in fact sold many of his assets due to changes in his life. It's been stored for 19 years. He has taken it out of the safe but it still is not in love with it. He has no family members that would wear it and would most likely sell it. If that's the case, why shouldn't he sell it to get what he does love?

OP - you only live once. We all have a finite time on this earth. Do what feels right to YOU, and not what others say. If this watch doesn't speak to you anymore, but another does, then go with your heart.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:53 AM   #50
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Here's a little calculator one can use to estimate time left to enjoy these watches

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

It's intended for retirement planning but has an interesting feature: Life expectancy, shown by the grey portion of the graph

Enter:
1) Retirement Age [Enter your _current_ age here instead, eg 70]
2) Retirement Years [Enter your life expectancy here, eg. +20 from today]

The finances don't matter, use the defaults if you wish. The life expectancy curve is pulled from the SS admin.

amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 01:35 AM   #51
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I wouldn’t think twice of selling a watch I haven’t touched in 20 years to get something that I would love to wear. The people telling you to keep it would like to have that watch, you’ve already pretty much shown that you have no interest.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 01:44 AM   #52
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’d consider the trade, especially since you don’t wear it
That is my take.

Unless a watch is incredibly sentimental, and that could be reason enough to keep it, I don’t believe any watch is not replaceable. We are not talking crazy money here either way. Maybe it’s because I’ve owned the old watches when they were new but I really appreciate the better built construction of the modern Rolex. YRMV.
Old 24 January 2024, 02:09 AM   #53
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Its been in the safe since 2005. You took it out and it does not seem to be special anymore. Buy what you will wear in your golden years as the life clock keeps ticking. So yes, sell or trade it!!
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 02:11 AM   #54
ian.thomas

I would love to have a '71 sub!

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:14 AM   #55
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

Hi, OP here. Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

I've decided to let the Red Submarine go. It's time (for me and my situation) and after more thought I'm good with the decision.

As mentioned in my initial post I do have 2 other Vintage watches (Double Red Sea Dweller and very early GMT) so I'm not completely abandoning Vintage yet.

I don't look forward to the hassle of the next step, but it is what it is.

Thanks all

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:28 AM   #56
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
As mentioned in my initial post I do have 2 other Vintage watches (Double Red Sea Dweller and very early GMT) so I'm not completely abandoning Vintage yet.
Blimey John, that’s quite the collection you have! Good luck with the next step.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:32 AM   #57
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would, no point in keeping a watch hidden in the safe for the next twenty years.
Get the BLRO and enjoy wearing it
Old 24 January 2024, 04:13 AM   #58
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I would do that trade if i was you. Why keep a watch you don’t look at anymore and you seem to really want a BLRO. Do it, if it makes you happy.
Rolex1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 05:48 AM   #59
Jp28
"TRF" Member

I have a ‘70 red sub and BLRO (and a few others….ahem) so I know a little of your position.
Overall keep the red sub.
For me both are in the core keeper group along with 1-2 others. The other 3-4 I have can go if and when needed.
My advice would be to say live a little (!) keep and and get wearing the red sub and go buy a BLRO. To have both really is something else as whilst you can see the design/brand/family heritage they share they are also quite seperate in age/materials etc (esp with BLRO on jubilee)
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 06:30 AM   #60
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I think you'll regret trading it - save and add - get rig of something else.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote