The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 October 2014, 11:10 AM   #1
csrss
"TRF" Member

My father's DRSD

Hi Folks,

I have a Rolex Sea Dweller from the 70's that was passed on to me by my father. This watch has sat idle for many years, but recently I've decided that I should have it fixed up to be wearable.

I know very little of the service history of the watch other than my father did use it as a dive watch, and I remember him mentioning from time to time that it did need service. I've owned the watch since approximately 1989, and it received no service since then other than having the bracelet sized for my wrist in '99. The watch will run when wound with the stem or when the automatic movement is agitated, but I suspect it does not maintain good time.

I don't trust myself to remove the bracelet or caseback, so I need to wait until having the watch serviced to get a peek at serial numbers and other identifying marks inside the watch and concealed by the bracelet.

Based on reading doubleredseadweller.com and a bunch of forum postings, the watch appears to me to be a "Double-Red Sea Dweller", with a Mk II dial. Based on the position of the HEV, would this also be a "thin case" watch? The clasp has a code "VF" stamped on it, which would suggest manufacture in 1981 (e.g. not the original bracelet for the watch).

The patina on the hands and the dial are not the same. I'd be interested to know what would likely account for this (my first guess would be having the dial re-lumed at some point when the hands weren't touched or vice versa.

I'm interested to hear opinions on what sort of work I should have done on this watch to put it into working order, but still be mindful of its value as a collectible piece. Appearance-wise, I don't mind any of the scratches and dings in the case, so I'd probably just leave things as-is. I don't like the scratches and marring on the crystal, so I'd like to either have that polished or replaced. Interested in pro/con opinions on whether to have the crystal replaced or just polished.

When having vintage watches serviced, do people normally have all the seals replaced and the watch pressure-tested? I have no desire to take the watch swimming, but some resistance to getting rained on or putting my hand in a sink filled with water would be handy.

As for where to have the watch serviced, there is a local Rolex dealer in my city that advertises on-site Rolex certified watchmakers. Another option I guess would be to send the watch to Rolex in Toronto.

Thanks very much for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (141.7 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg Caseback.jpg (106.2 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg Crown.jpg (65.0 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg HEV2.jpg (65.8 KB, 613 views)
csrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:31 PM   #2
RCAFBuster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list
PM Sent. RCAFBuster
RCAFBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:35 PM   #3
RCAFBuster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list
Don't send it to the Rolex AD unless you want it back with everything changed and looking brand new.
RCAFBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
There are a couple reputable repair folks on here that I would have service the movement. Leave the rest the heck alone. Every scuff and scrape tells a story of your father and what he and that beauty went thru. I say slide it over to Rikki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:53 PM   #5
apbb2
"TRF" Member

Rikki is well known and fantastic. But, I just sent my new to me 1680 Red Sub to Bob Ridley and I was told 3 weeks.

3 weeks to the day, it arrived at my door from its spa service and running beautifully.

How many people sent you a private message to sell it? Whatever you do, do not sell it! You have quite a valuable piece, but the sentimental value is priceless.

Wear it with pride and best of health.
apbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:51 PM   #6
omitohud
"TRF" Member

My father's DRSD

Yup mark II thin case. Very valuable. Condition is pretty good. The dial is stunning. I don't think it's been relumed. The hands might be replacement but could also be original but aged differently. The insert also look period correct. I agree don't send it to rolex. I can't tell where u live but if u r close to west coast, send it to abc watchwerks in LA. Make sure to insure it for upward of 25k. UR dad had good taste. Cheers

omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Yup mark II thin case. Very valuable. Condition is pretty good. The dial is stunning. I don't think it's been relumed. The hands might be replacement but could also be original but aged differently. The insert also look period correct. I agree don't send it to rolex. I can't tell where u live but if u r close to west coast, send it to abc watchwerks in LA. Make sure to insure it for upward of 25k. UR dad had good taste. Cheers

Btw if it's serviced by a certified rolex repairer, I would almost certain it will b pressure test. Whether it pass or not, a little rain won't hurt. Just make sure don't submerge it in water.

Old 2 October 2014, 08:55 PM   #8
mistral
"TRF" Member

PM sent re Damiani Jewellers in Woodbridge..

They're Rolex AD and have Rolex trained watchmaker on site for service.
mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 10:03 PM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Just have the movement only serviced by any of the recommended watchmakers here on TRF.
They will advice you on the chrystal. After all it has to be watertight.
Don't bring it to a Rolex service Center and don't let a Pop and Mom jeweller watchmaker touch it.
Enjoy your very nice watch for many years to come
Old 2 October 2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Stunning heirloom, congrats - as others have said; just have the movement serviced, replace the crystal and seals and have it pressure-tested, I'd agree. Or just have the dome polished out and keep it dry!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 11:12 AM   #11
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I love that dial!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
EEParker
"TRF" Member

I love that you've had the watch since 1989, got the bracelet sized in 1999, and mostly kept the watch boxed up! Such a nice piece- what made you decide to wear it now after so many years of not wanting to?
EEParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 12:43 PM   #13
csrss
"TRF" Member

When I was given the watch, I was in my 20s, and it always seemed too fancy a thing for me to wear. I never used it for diving since by then the luminous dial was no longer luminous. Later on, I had the bracelet sized and wore it a little, but never followed through and got the watch serviced to the point where it would maintain good enough time to wear regularly.

My feeling now that I am older (don't do the math :) and my Dad older still is that I really should be wearing the watch and have that connection to him versus the watch slowly deteriorating all by itself.

One bonus of course is had I worn the watch through my 20s and 30s, I very likely would have done a more functional service of the thing, and ending up with a much less "vintage" watch. My sock drawer has done nothing overbearing to the watch, so that's nice :)

Once I have the watch back from service, I'll update the thread with some "after" pics. Thanks very much to the forum members for their advice.
Old 3 October 2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Have you got the original box & papers (warranty, receipt) and booklets, too? That would add quite a bit of value to the watch (I know you won't ever sell it, but it's good to know).
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 12:50 PM   #15
csrss
"TRF" Member

I don't have box+papers and I suspect they are no longer around since my parents have moved a couple of times since Dad regularly wore the watch. But next time I see them I'll be double-checking on that.
Old 3 October 2014, 01:14 PM   #16
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Wow, I love these threads. You have something special. Listen to the advice here and do your homework. You have the watch of a lifetime!
Old 3 October 2014, 01:18 PM   #17
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Fantastic watch.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Stunning one
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 03:54 PM   #19
omitohud
"TRF" Member

If I were u I would just service the movement unless something is broken. Every parts of that watch is super valuable. The dome crystal alone if original costs hundreds. If u replace it with service it will not has that high dome look. Just my two cents.

Old 3 October 2014, 08:37 PM   #20
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
If I were u I would just service the movement unless something is broken. Every parts of that watch is super valuable. The dome crystal alone if original costs hundreds. If u replace it with service it will not has that high dome look. Just my two cents.

It certainly will if the the watch is serviced by the correct service entity

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 05:19 AM   #21
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Would not dream of selling it - maybe a service and clean up, keeping it as original as possible, then wear and enjoy it!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 08:23 AM   #22
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
I love reading threads like this. Beautiful watch. Hands match the pearl perfectly so they seem to be original. Dial doesn't look re lumed at all its perfect. Lume must of just aged differently.
I wouldn't change a thing...service the movement, replace the crystal and your good to go. ThanKS for sharing. Looking forward to the after pics.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Great story. I think your sock drawer probably helped the dial while the hands and dot just aged.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 01:34 PM   #24
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
I would send it to ABC Watchwerks. They do incredible work. Just have it serviced if it has never been polished ever before during its lifetime. If it has been previously polished before, I would consider having the case lightly detailed. ABC will even set up the shipping with insurance for you and send you a label.

It looks like your dial is turning tropical (brownish). That's great! It will add a lot more to the value. Collectors are paying upwards of 40k USD for these right now in the right condition. Your dial appears to be in exceptional condition as well: no markers or elements missing. Though, the case does look polished a bit from the crown guard shapes.

Here is my DRSD Mark II thin case with tropical dial:

Untitled by j0hnnycache, on Flickr

Old 4 October 2014, 01:57 PM   #25
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

WOW, some great watches in this thread!
Old 4 October 2014, 03:46 PM   #26
zurich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo. View Post
wow, some great watches in this thread!

+1 :)
zurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 04:23 AM   #27
mluther
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
I would send it to ABC Watchwerks. They do incredible work. Just have it serviced if it has never been polished ever before during its lifetime. If it has been previously polished before, I would consider having the case lightly detailed. ABC will even set up the shipping with insurance for you and send you a label.
I agree with QC - ABC are the people to send this watch to. I've had a similar experience and they are very good at what they do. Take care of that beauty - highly collectable and becoming increasingly difficult to find a MKII thin case - congratulations
mluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2014, 12:52 AM   #28
Daytona4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: HBO:)
That is a very cool watch
Daytona4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2014, 01:05 AM   #29
tix99us
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,1680,16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

It looks like your dial is turning tropical (brownish). That's great! It will add a lot more to the value. Collectors are paying upwards of 40k USD for these right now in the right condition. Your dial appears to be in exceptional condition as well: no markers or elements missing. Though, the case does look polished a bit from the crown guard shapes.

Here is my DRSD Mark II thin case with tropical dial:

That is a gorgeous watch...
tix99us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2014, 03:36 AM   #30
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tix99us View Post
That is a gorgeous watch...