The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2017, 12:08 AM   #1
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
AP 15202 purchase possibly

I really fallen in love with this model. I do not currently own any AP. In the past I have bought only Rolex at least recently due to depreciation and durability. I am seriously considering making this my next purchase , the 15202... all white or blue, whichever I can see locallly... can anybody please weigh in on the durability of these watches? I really read up on them and it seems like the Crown does not screw in, so does that mean this watch is not watertight? .. is this a delicate wash or is adorable enough to where at least during rainstorms for when I walk a dog? Ha ha. I have concerns over durability just because I have never owned anything from this maker .. I tend to compare everything to Rolex, which holds value, doesn’t too greatly depreciate, and is pretty durable.. at least sports models. Has anyone been disappointed in buying a 15202.. i’ve searched through a lot of reviews on here and I’ve only seen positive feedback. I am just wondering about people’s thoughts on this watch from a Rolex perspective pros and cons . Thank you. I love the 39 mm too. Seems hard to find but I will await the responses here. I’m curious to know if people have bought other models and I need to stay below US$20,000 just for commonsense purposes
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:15 AM   #2
tng11
"TRF" Member

I do not think it is a "non-durable" watch. I wear it near daily - I don't do strenuous exercise with it on, but at no point did I ever think I was going to break the watch or movement despite living a active lifestyle. After 4 months with it, there is not a single blemish on the watch yet as I exercise extreme wrist awareness with it on.

As for WR - it's still just as water resistant as the 15400 with the screw down crown. I personally do not wash it under the tap, swim or submerge it in water, but others do with no problem. I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe it down.

It is not a piece you can abuse like a Rolex, if that's your thing. My old SubC held up very well to extreme conditions, such as downhill mountain biking, hiking, diving, skydiving, etc. I would never do that with the 15202, but I have no qualms with wearing it out for a casual afternoon on the patio, heading out to the dog park, to formal dinners.

I have not been disappointed at all, and in fact, the 15202 has greatly exceeded my expectations since buying it. My only complaint is the lack of a quickset date can get annoying - and that's why I wear it very often, so I don't have to tinker with it!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:13 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I do not think it is a "non-durable" watch. I wear it near daily - I don't do strenuous exercise with it on, but at no point did I ever think I was going to break the watch or movement despite living a active lifestyle. After 4 months with it, there is not a single blemish on the watch yet as I exercise extreme wrist awareness with it on.

As for WR - it's still just as water resistant as the 15400 with the screw down crown. I personally do not wash it under the tap, swim or submerge it in water, but others do with no problem. I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe it down.

It is not a piece you can abuse like a Rolex, if that's your thing. My old SubC held up very well to extreme conditions, such as downhill mountain biking, hiking, diving, skydiving, etc. I would never do that with the 15202, but I have no qualms with wearing it out for a casual afternoon on the patio, heading out to the dog park, to formal dinners.

I have not been disappointed at all, and in fact, the 15202 has greatly exceeded my expectations since buying it. My only complaint is the lack of a quickset date can get annoying - and that's why I wear it very often, so I don't have to tinker with it!
Agree with this

As far as value retention I would think it does better than most SS rolex models. I haven't sold any Rolex models in a while so im not the authority on that, but the 15202 is desirable and very hard to find. Its not going to tank if you sell it IMO
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:40 AM   #4
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Granted I’ve never owned a RO but handled numerous models and can’t say I feel they are any less durable then Rolex, the finishing is a much higher standard so guess in that respect they will show up marks a little more but that doesn’t make them any less durable.

Originally I thought they looked awful once marked and this really put me off the range but now realise after seeing loved pieces IRL it’s clear pictures do make the scuffs seem so much more pronounced then they really are.

Due to my wrist size I do edge towards the 41mm model but again this is personal taste and didn’t rule out the model for me and would of taken the offer of one this month if it wasn’t for my target bring set on something else.

I know one member who’s US AD quoted him 2019 on one but over here in the UK i’d say around 6 months wait but it’s a boutique only piece so full retail.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:45 AM   #5
blah114
Banned

Thanks for responses. This piece might be beyond my range.. I’ve never owned AP as said. But, I like the resale factor . In looking around it seems they’re a bit higher than my budget.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:47 AM   #6
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
Thanks for responses. This piece might be beyond my range.. I’ve never owned AP as said. But, I like the resale factor . In looking around it seems they’re a bit higher than my budget.
Don’t rule out the 15450 and 15400 both great pieces in their own right.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:50 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its a double edged sword i guess. Prices on this piece are staying high. Discounts are pretty much non existent, but that means if you sell you are getting your money back. I would get on a list and continue to save. It might be awhile anyway.

Ive only handled a RG 15202 and not a SS, but I can say its far superior to any other RO that it competes with (time/date). I have a 15400 and ill admit it. Great watch, but its not a 15202.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:25 AM   #8
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a double edged sword i guess. Prices on this piece are staying high. Discounts are pretty much non existent, but that means if you sell you are getting your money back. I would get on a list and continue to save. It might be awhile anyway.

Ive only handled a RG 15202 and not a SS, but I can say its far superior to any other RO that it competes with (time/date). I have a 15400 and ill admit it. Great watch, but its not a 15202.
What was superior on the 15202 vs 15400 out of interest?

I love the Royal Oak, I purchased a 15400 as I thought the dimensions would suit me better so have never even tried a 15202! So interested about any difference between them.
justdate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:46 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
What was superior on the 15202 vs 15400 out of interest?

I love the Royal Oak, I purchased a 15400 as I thought the dimensions would suit me better so have never even tried a 15202! So interested about any difference between them.
to me its the extra thin movement, the petite tapissery dial, and i like where the AP logo is located. Plus, you can customize the rotor with your initials which is something i would 100% do if I got one. Generally I would say 39mm is too small for my taste but it is an amazing watch and RO's wear a tad large anyway.

I don't dislike the 15400 at all, I liked it enough to buy one and will never sell it. A 15202 is a notch above though, thats how nice it is. Its not that there is anything wrong with the 15400 because there isnt.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:49 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s a great watch. If your wrist is 6.5” or below consider the 15450st. If your wrist is larger than 7” consider the 15400. These will come in under budget.

My wrist at 7” I find the 15202 is ideal.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:52 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s a great watch. If your wrist is 6.5” or below consider the 15450st. If your wrist is larger than 7” consider the 15400. These will come in under budget.

Opposite ends of the AP spectrum but how do you find it compared to the 44Ti
Old 18 November 2017, 04:57 AM   #12
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Like others have suggested, Save for the 15202. It is worth the price and IMO prefer over the 15400. Happy Hunting!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:06 AM   #13
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

My wrist is 6.25 “ .. pretty small. But I wear a deep blue all the time. Lol
Old 18 November 2017, 06:07 AM   #14
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
To each their own but you may want to consider the 37mm version as it wil come well under your budget and fit much better. Dont get hung up on the number because it will wear bigger than 37mm. Just my 2cents

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 06:35 AM   #15
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
15202 will fit you fine. 15400 is likely way too big for you - ROs when too big do not look good at all. 15450 would be a great fit for you.

The 15202 to me is superior to either the '400/'450 because of the long line of heritage it descends from, and overall IMO, it is better balanced (visually and physically), and better crafted (e.g. the skeletonized rotor and petite tapisserie dial). I know some people knock it for being not a strictly "in-house" movement, but that ignores the fact that this was a movement that AP developed with JLC, and for all practical purposes, AP produces this movement in-house as they acquired the rights to it, and JLC is not the one doing the manufacturing anymore. Engineering wise, it may be more primitive without a quick-set date or seconds hand - but I am actually enjoying the lack of a seconds hand, as it leads you to focus more on the beautiful dial, and cures timing OCD.

In terms of value retention, the 15202 is likely to continue to do well. It has always been a watch made in limited amounts, and now being a boutique exclusive piece (i.e. no discounts), it will continue to hold its value well. In contrast, there is no significant supply squeeze with the 15400 - prices have undoubtedly gone up, but ADs are still getting them in, and there's plenty on the pre-owned market. With the 15202, it is rare to see them ever come up on the pre-owned market, and they typically go for almost full retail value.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:27 AM   #16
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m the same size as you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:34 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Haha it’s your watch and your choice! I think the 450st would fit you perfectly though. It’s not far off from an SS Daytona in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Opposite ends of the AP spectrum but how do you find it compared to the 44Ti

Well they both say AP on the dial but that’s about it Sam

I think you know that if I could have kept both I would have. Flippers disease requires new funds for new watches lol

I prefer the jumbo as an only AP but a proper collection could use an offshore!

Waiting to see what SIHH brings.
Old 18 November 2017, 08:26 AM   #18
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
to me its the extra thin movement, the petite tapissery dial, and i like where the AP logo is located. Plus, you can customize the rotor with your initials which is something i would 100% do if I got one. Generally I would say 39mm is too small for my taste but it is an amazing watch and RO's wear a tad large anyway.

I don't dislike the 15400 at all, I liked it enough to buy one and will never sell it. A 15202 is a notch above though, thats how nice it is. Its not that there is anything wrong with the 15400 because there isnt.
Nice, thanks. May take a look at picking up a blue 15202ST then to compliment my silver/white 15400ST as I'm a huge Royal Oak fan and looking to add another but not ready to go for a full gold model yet.
justdate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:51 AM   #19
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
To each their own but you may want to consider the 37mm version as it wil come well under your budget and fit much better. Dont get hung up on the number because it will wear bigger than 37mm. Just my 2cents
If I get anything, I’ll seriously consider this model
Old 18 November 2017, 05:40 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Nice, thanks. May take a look at picking up a blue 15202ST then to compliment my silver/white 15400ST as I'm a huge Royal Oak fan and looking to add another but not ready to go for a full gold model yet.
In the 15400 I actually prefer the silver to the blue, but the added benefit of the silver is that it isnt redundant with a 15202 purchase in the future