The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 September 2009, 03:14 PM   #1
WatchNerd

Watch: Planet Ocean 45mm
Icon20 Baume et Mercier Experiences?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum! Anyway, I've got the watch buying bug again and I'm looking to buy my first mechanical watch. I would really like an Omega PO, but there are some nitpicky details like the hands that I don't really like.

Anyway, in searching through the mountains of mechanical watches available, several times I came across Baume & Mercier. I like some of their styling cues and was wondering if anyone here had any experiences, good or bad or somewhere in between.

Any insight you all can give me would be much appreciated.
WatchNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 04:19 PM   #2
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Some basic info on Baume...

Part of the Richemont Group, with Cartier, Panerai and A. Lange and Sohne as a few of their sister companies. A very impressive group to belong to, great histories, very reliable across the board, good service network.

ETA supplies most of their movements...2890's & the 7750 are some of the calibers used. They do produce a Tourbillon for around $80,000 as well. Any gold you see will be solid 18KT gold...no plating to my knowledge.

Compares to in terms of quality: TAG Heuer, some Omegas, Breitling, Panerai and the like.

Compares to in terms of styling: Cartier, Bvlgari...thats all I got.

Depreciates like most Swiss watches...very quickly! But thats not a bad thing, if you buy what you like, you will wear and enjoy it, and thats the main thing.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 12:51 AM   #3
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
My good friend had their dressy Hampton automatic. It was very impressive watch in terms of styling and quality. And movement was surely ETA, but I cannot remember which one. I guess 2892, but it also could be 2824-2.
And I also recently tried Capeland chronograph (Valjoux 7750) and was really impressed with it`s quality. And all that for less money than, for example, similarly positioned Cartier.
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 01:55 AM   #4
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i don't see them as comparable to breitling, omega or panerai... more at the level of tag or longines. get the po, you'll get over the hands:)
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 03:36 AM   #5
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
i don't see them as comparable to breitling, omega or panerai... more at the level of tag or longines.
Concur. They make me think Chanel and Ebel -- not a pure fashion watch brand but way over to that side of the spectrum. Totally different focus from Omega, Panerai, etc in my view. They'll depreciate faster and more deeply too, but that may not matter.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 05:09 AM   #6
WatchNerd

Thanks for the great info so far, keep it coming! I'm not too worried about the depreciation really. I still have the crappy Pulsar that was my first real wristwatch, and that thing hasn't run for...years and years, haha.
Old 18 September 2009, 07:17 AM   #7
brrrdn
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt iic
i like the b&m dual time. looks like jlc.

brrrdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
my advice would be to go the Omega PO if you have the choice - there's something about having an Omega that does more for me than a B&M - and I've had/have both. Take your time with this purchase though - in the end you'll get the watch you love and will be right for you...Chances are you'll get the other one down the track..
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
newmedia
"TRF" Member

I had Hampon Spirit , too thick for me, it used ETA 2000-1? noisy rotor automatic movement, the resale on used market is not very good but the watch was nicely made.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 12:02 PM   #10
WatchNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
my advice would be to go the Omega PO if you have the choice - there's something about having an Omega that does more for me than a B&M - and I've had/have both. Take your time with this purchase though - in the end you'll get the watch you love and will be right for you...Chances are you'll get the other one down the track..
I've been stewing over the PO for over a year now, haha. It's just really a matter of funding the thing. College really sucks you dry in terms of fundage.
Old 18 September 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
lorsban
"TRF" Member

B&M has some pretty nice watches. Contrary to what other people say here, I put them on the same level as Concord in terms of target market. Both have some nice classic designs as well (such as the one in the post earlier). That said, I don't like their "sports" models so much.

Tag occupies a different market segment, in my opinion. A younger, sportier market.

As for budget requirements, if you're short on cash, I suggest you get yourself a cheap quartz watch just so you won't be late. BUT, keep saving up for that One watch you've always wanted. Stick to the established brands - easier to flip if you find your preference changing in the future.
Old 18 September 2009, 05:39 PM   #12
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I must say first of all that having seen and handled both, you really wont regret or go wrong with any that you choose...in a nutshell, I find some B&Ms better looking but Omega is more reliable and has many other good things going for it... I love the Capeland S XXL (not in production anymore) and saw some stunning capeland chronos, but I suggest for a FIRST TIME purchase, go for omega, the Bond Seamaster (in black or Blue) is good and more affordable than PO, so think about it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 05:02 AM   #13
salty_snack

B&M are decently priced for the most part. I think there are probably better values out there to be had... Sinn, Damasko, Seiko etc. and some great values on the secondary market.

With the most sincerity possible, a grand sekio or even something from the sarb line will be better than a swiss watch with 2 to 3 times the price tag. Most people won't know the difference but those that know will appreciate the GS.

The biggest problem I have with PO and Omega in general is the lack of build quality. Case in point: many omegas have visible gap between the lugs and the end links through which the spring bar is visible. A $100 fossil doesn't have that problem so why is it so common to find on Omegas costing 50x as much. Also, the cost to service the co-axial is unpleasantly high and not that many independent watchmakers service them currently.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 12:09 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The Baume & Mercier that built the chronograph in that picture is not the Baume & Mercier of today.

The quartz crisis of the 70s shuffled the Swiss deck profoundly.

The names survive, but in many cases the companies did not.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Vanquish1551
Banned

I have two Baume and Mercier limited edition rose gold watches. The two register Chronograph reminiscent of their chronographs of the 1950s. 39mm, acrylic crystal absolutely gorgeous dial. Fantastic workmanship. The other is a rose gold jumping hours. Beautiful dial and cool "complication with the jumping hour.
Vanquish1551 is offline   Reply With Quote