The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 4 April 2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Icon7 Threads being Hijacked

Hello All,
Since I've decided to join this forum maybe 2 months ago I've been learning a lot of info about Rolex watches, having a lot of fun with all here.

Recently I just figured out that some important threads (most tech and informative ones) were hijacked and so ending up and becoming lost in the mid and/or not getting to what it was supposed to. (sometimes the author of the thread did not get to all the answers he was trying to get or deserve it)

In the majority of the times the cause for this hijacking were jokes as per my point of view funny, but maybe not on the right moment or on the right thread due to the importance of the subject...(IMHO)

What I'm trying to tell is that sometimes we are maybe missing some stuff due to that.

My suggestion (of course to be discussed by the Mods and members here) would be asking people to try keep the "off topic" comments in general for a specific category of threads (maybe "open forum ones") and maybe not on "General rolex" for example).

I certainly made some coments as well, but just start feeling that those ones were maybe "harmfull" to the thread and contribute to change o a wrong way the meaning of the thread.

(Ps. There is not an intention here to go against freedom of speech or anything like that...just a try to organize better and avoid loosing great started threads)

Thanks and all your coments would be more than appreciated.
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 01:15 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Alot of threads do get hijacked. Although, I can't recall seeing one that didn't receive good and informative answers either prior to or along with some bashing and laughs.
Old 4 April 2006, 02:57 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Renato, you gotta understand some history behind many of the regulars here. We were all at another board at one time. That place wanted to be known as a "serious" place to talk horology. Long story short and leaving out the blood, we are all here now.

I think that the questions are ALMOST always answered and in a timely manner at that. Usually the first page of a thread has some integrity and knowledge.

You will find that the MODs here don't want to be over involved, let the members moderate themselves till someone MUST step in.

But as far as the topics going astray, that is sort of a reason that we found TRF, it allowed us to talk watches, but more importantly hang out with friends, and even more importantly make fun of JJ. (Sorry, I really can't help myself)

Hope this is a little better understanding of the background of this place. We don't want to be "that" place or "the" place. We want to be ourselves, help each other out, help new members and make them feel welcome and have fun.

We came here because of watches, we stayed because of the people.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 03:45 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Renato, you gotta understand some history behind many of the regulars here. We were all at another board at one time. That place wanted to be known as a "serious" place to talk horology. Long story short and leaving out the blood, we are all here now.

I think that the questions are ALMOST always answered and in a timely manner at that. Usually the first page of a thread has some integrity and knowledge.

You will find that the MODs here don't want to be over involved, let the members moderate themselves till someone MUST step in.

But as far as the topics going astray, that is sort of a reason that we found TRF, it allowed us to talk watches, but more importantly hang out with friends, and even more importantly make fun of JJ. (Sorry, I really can't help myself)

Hope this is a little better understanding of the background of this place. We don't want to be "that" place or "the" place. We want to be ourselves, help each other out, help new members and make them feel welcome and have fun.

We came here because of watches, we stayed because of the people.

Spot on, D
Old 4 April 2006, 05:04 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Renato,

BEWARE!! You are listening to words of wisdom from the current tosser number 1 and 2...so please don't believe all that you read. I am the main target here as always, and it is these very guys who always love to hijack threads!!

However, on a serious note, you will notice if someone does ask a genuinely serious question, many of us jump in to help him out and answer his question to the best of our ability.

None of us here (with the possible exception of Padi and perhaps a couple of others) are real experts on the subject. The little knowledge I have has been attained over years of Rolex playing around, that's all!!

This is probably the BEST forum in town....you will NEVER find a more friendly, informative and great bunch of guys. And hijacking is simply the way these guys were brought up....terrible!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 4 April 2006 at 05:06 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 07:24 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Renato I must agree with you to a point,but I would say that most
questions are answered first.But thats the way we are,we can be serious sometimes,but life's to short to take things to serious,seriously.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 07:40 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Has anybody noticed the price of bananas lately?
Old 4 April 2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Yes, we have no bananas today!

Last edited by Prince; 4 April 2006 at 09:02 PM..
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Manatee
Banned

Rto,

I think the watch-related forums here generally focus on watches, whereas the general forum is purely (or should I say "pueriley" ;-)) social. You can always visit a site like Timezone, where the strictly-watch-talk rule seems to be enforced, and perhaps that will help balance your watch forum experience.

Were I to rank various watch forums in order of "members with detailed watch knowledge" this one wouldn't be among the highest. You'll find more opinions and emotion here. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That's just the way it has evolved, and the regulars are happy with it the way it is.

One thing they might do here to make the watch forums (Rolex and non-Rolex) look more like watch forums is to disable the silly gifs in those forums. When you're reading through a thread that starts out with actual watch information, and then turns into one of TRF's stereotypical "ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL THUMBS-UP THUMBS-UP" self-congratulatory gigglefests, it becomes pretty easy to discount the value of the technical information that preceded it.

Anyway, accept it for what it is, and balance it with visits to a variety of watch forums.

Peter

Last edited by Manatee; 4 April 2006 at 10:08 PM..
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2006, 03:33 AM   #10
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
You will not be the first one to make this (valid in the right context) remark and you will certainly not be the last. In fact, past comments were sometimes harsh. I’m a member of a couple of other forums (and past member of other watch forums, this going back 7 years or so) and I must say I find TRF a revelation. It’s a good thing for a one topic forum owner (some of them put in a lot of hours, effort and money) to guard the integrity of that forum. But this can amount to straight-jacket like moderation. This potentially kills all laid back and often harmless fun.

Because I’m biased now, I can only say that I think most serious questions receive a serious answer. Agreed, after that, the thread usually receives the hijack treatment. But this is TRF. One thing worth mentioning: TRF has never shown any pretense in the ‘we are a serious forum department’. But members here are true lovers of fine, mechanical watches and most of them not just blind devotees of Rolex. That’s one of the many good things about TRF. We know that despite all it’s qualities (and shortcomings) Rolex isn’t the best watch in the world. Far from it. But it’s still a hell of a watch and an icon.
Old 5 April 2006, 03:36 AM   #11
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Well said Frans :o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
The secret to a good hijack is to do it without anyone noticing. Subtlety is the secret, stay around, you may learn a few tricks.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2006, 04:01 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Don't forget many of our members own other watches that Rolex & wear them daily rather than the Rollie. These guys would be booted from other forums.
Heck, some threads on other places get edited for mentioning non watch stuff.
Plus, JJ is even further behind on the time difference now, so we can bash him before he gets a chance to defend himself.
I however, after my valiant effort to make the top 3 spot on the tosser list, will be stepping down in my efforts. Not stopping, just stepping back a bit.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2006, 04:06 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Don't forget many of our members own other watches that Rolex & wear them daily rather than the Rollie. These guys would be booted from other forums.
Heck, some threads on other places get edited for mentioning non watch stuff.
Plus, JJ is even further behind on the time difference now, so we can bash him before he gets a chance to defend himself.
I however, after my valiant effort to make the top 3 spot on the tosser list, will be stepping down in my efforts. Not stopping, just stepping back a bit.
The time difference has, in fact, decreased, tosser!!

Remember, NZ went one hour back while you guys went an hour forward!!

So, for example, if N.Y. was -18 hours NZ, it is now only -16 hours NZ.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 5 April 2006 at 04:06 AM..
Old 5 April 2006, 04:11 AM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
The secret to a good hijack is to do it without anyone noticing. Subtlety is the secret, stay around, you may learn a few tricks.
Give that man a pound of sausages.......
Old 5 April 2006, 04:18 AM   #16
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

JJ that all changed again, We switched last weekend.
Having a blonde moment here.

Member # 293
Old 5 April 2006, 04:20 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
JJ that all changed again, We switched last weekend.
Having a blonde moment here.
I'm aware of that and I've said so in my post. We went back and you guys went forward!!

Old 5 April 2006, 04:23 AM   #18
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

No problem JJ, I guess when your bald, you can't have Blonde moments?

Member # 293
Old 5 April 2006, 05:54 AM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
Rto,

I think the watch-related forums here generally focus on watches, whereas the general forum is purely (or should I say "pueriley" ;-)) social. You can always visit a site like Timezone, where the strictly-watch-talk rule seems to be enforced, and perhaps that will help balance your watch forum experience.

Were I to rank various watch forums in order of "members with detailed watch knowledge" this one wouldn't be among the highest. You'll find more opinions and emotion here. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That's just the way it has evolved, and the regulars are happy with it the way it is.

One thing they might do here to make the watch forums (Rolex and non-Rolex) look more like watch forums is to disable the silly gifs in those forums. When you're reading through a thread that starts out with actual watch information, and then turns into one of TRF's stereotypical "ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL THUMBS-UP THUMBS-UP" self-congratulatory gigglefests, it becomes pretty easy to discount the value of the technical information that preceded it.

Anyway, accept it for what it is, and balance it with visits to a variety of watch forums.

Peter

I don't see where the smileys discredit or devalue information at all, Peter. They seems to be a way of showing emotion and in most cases appreciation. I rarely saw them as self-congratulatory. I think the smileys help set the mood of this forum. I for one stayed here because of that.
Old 5 April 2006, 07:43 AM   #20
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
You will not be the first one to make this (valid in the right context) remark and you will certainly not be the last. In fact, past comments were sometimes harsh. I’m a member of a couple of other forums (and past member of other watch forums, this going back 7 years or so) and I must say I find TRF a revelation. It’s a good thing for a one topic forum owner (some of them put in a lot of hours, effort and money) to guard the integrity of that forum. But this can amount to straight-jacket like moderation. This potentially kills all laid back and often harmless fun.

Because I’m biased now, I can only say that I think most serious questions receive a serious answer. Agreed, after that, the thread usually receives the hijack treatment. But this is TRF. One thing worth mentioning: TRF has never shown any pretense in the ‘we are a serious forum department’. But members here are true lovers of fine, mechanical watches and most of them not just blind devotees of Rolex. That’s one of the many good things about TRF. We know that despite all it’s qualities (and shortcomings) Rolex isn’t the best watch in the world. Far from it. But it’s still a hell of a watch and an icon.
I never thought I'd be saying this but EXCELLENT POINTS FRANS
Old 5 April 2006, 08:26 AM   #21
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman

Just thought I would add some contratulatory gif's in this thread.........

;-) <====== that one's for you, Peter.
Old 5 April 2006, 08:55 AM   #22
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
;-) <====== that one's for you, Peter.
Thanks, Al. That's a more appropriate smiley for those of us who are cheerful, but not effusive. :-)
Old 5 April 2006, 09:08 AM   #23
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I don't see where the smileys discredit or devalue information at all, Peter. They seems to be a way of showing emotion and in most cases appreciation. I rarely saw them as self-congratulatory. I think the smileys help set the mood of this forum. I for one stayed here because of that.
Well as I said, a lot of the commentary on watches, and responses to questions about watches, is based in emotion. By self-congratulatory, I meant that it's a form of "insider" talk among the regulars. No problem with that -- we have similar things on my other watch forum. I think I notice it more here becuase the core group of posters is smaller, so there's a greater concentration of the same few people saying the same things.

When I re-read it, my comment does appear harsh. I should have retracted that. Several times a day I write something (in my typically wise-assed tone) and my finger hovers between the "post" button and the "back" button. I made the wrong choice this time. :-(
Old 5 April 2006, 11:57 AM   #24
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
The time difference has, in fact, decreased, tosser!!

Remember, NZ went one hour back while you guys went an hour forward!!

So, for example, if N.Y. was -18 hours NZ, it is now only -16 hours NZ.
He was making a point JJ, he doesn't really care.

Old 5 April 2006, 11:58 AM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Good points Frans? Where? On the tips of his ears?

Old 5 April 2006, 03:35 PM   #26
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well as I said, a lot of the commentary on watches, and responses to questions about watches, is based in emotion. By self-congratulatory, I meant that it's a form of "insider" talk among the regulars. No problem with that -- we have similar things on my other watch forum. I think I notice it more here becuase the core group of posters is smaller, so there's a greater concentration of the same few people saying the same things.

When I re-read it, my comment does appear harsh. I should have retracted that. Several times a day I write something (in my typically wise-assed tone) and my finger hovers between the "post" button and the "back" button. I made the wrong choice this time. :-(
Very well said, Peter. Thanks for understanding :-)
Old 5 April 2006, 07:18 PM   #27
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Good points Frans? Where? On the tips of his ears?
Live long and prosper
Old 5 April 2006, 07:54 PM   #28
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
ok who did it, who hi-jacked this thread that was smooth and slick as $h|t.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2006, 09:23 PM   #29
----

Quote:

It's okay Peter, those of us who know you, know you are a good guy.......and hey, most of us make a goofy post now and again. Heck that almost happened to me once! ;-)

Old 5 April 2006, 09:50 PM   #30
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
...those of us who know you, know you are a good guy...
Careful, Al! I've got a reputation to maintain. :-)