The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 November 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
gpateesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Date+Day
Newly serviced 1974 Tudor stops after 8 hours off wrist- Possible Causes?

Hello All:

I just have the watch serviced (complete overhaul with a new mainspring) and have been wearing it for about a week and today it stopped after lying face up for 8 hours. (It apparently stopped 10 minutes before I was going to put it back on).

Prior to today, I've worn it for at least 18 hrs a day, putting it face up when off my wrist.

The service was done by a recommended watch repairer who is not a certified Rolex repairer but is certified for other high end brands.

Any ideas as to why the watch would stop? Could it be that the mainspring is not appropriate for the movement (ETA 2784)?

Thanks for any information.

Greg
gpateesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2010, 12:00 PM   #2
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Any ideas as to why the watch would stop? Could it be that the mainspring is not appropriate for the movement (ETA 2784)?

I'd start there. The parts are small, but very specific to each movement. The fact that it runs when wound, and does fine except when lying idle. I'd think the mainspring is the wrong one, or something concerning the drive train from the spring.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
First you need to run a couple of tests...

Fully wind it and let it sit........... it should keep running for about 35 hours.. If it meets this test, then it is likely not the mainspring..

Wearing a watch all day, or for 18 hours, should wind it.. But, it may not. This will always depend on how active you are.. If you are a truck driver, for instance, or work in an office you may simply not get enough wrist activity to keep the watch fully wound and it will eventually run down to the point where the only wind in it is what you give it each day.. That might only be 8 hours, but perhaps you were just inactive for a couple of days before you took it off.

Fully wind it and wear it for a week, paying careful attention to how active you actually are and then let it rest again to see it's power reserve.. If it still only has a few hours, then the issue is possibly with the self-winding mechanism, or auto reverser..
Old 30 November 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
skywag
Banned

Watch: S/S "P" Daytona
Did you wind it?
skywag is offline   Reply With Quote