The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2019, 11:25 PM   #31
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Don’t mention that David Beckham is brand ambassador!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 03:49 AM   #32
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I understand his position.
I like Tudor, but is marketed and sold as a lower tier watch. A new Tudor GMT is less than half of the Rolex price. It IS by virtue of pricing lower tier. (I am not saying quality.)
Omega and Breitling in the other hand have new watches that have prices exceeding $100,000. They are not marketing as a lower tier . And I do not think Tudor is ever going to come out with a new watch in that price range. That will always be left for the Rolex line.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 03:55 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For £2K Tudor are great, for £3-4K Omega and Breitling, and for £5K plus Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 08:45 PM   #34
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockeyboy View Post
That’s the one he went for, a little bit small for my taste, but he’s happy with it.

I don’t know why I said it was too small for my taste!
Possibly thinking about the Speedy they had in stock too, and wrote that without thinking!

Old 22 February 2019, 09:58 PM   #35
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

I don't blame your friend, obviously hes not aware or informed in this instance about Tudor. Its only last year my friend recommended a Pelagos to me and I was blown away by its beauty and movement.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:16 AM   #36
Molnboman
"TRF" Member

I think Tudor as a brand have certainly upped their game recently with lots of new versions throughout their range. I agree that many non watch fans won’t be familiar with the name and many who do will incorrectly dismiss them as the poor relation to their Father brand. Moving to in house movements shows their intent and real point of difference lines like their Pelagos give them a younger fresher vibe than Rolex in my opinion, however, I just wonder how often you’d look at the watch and be happy with your purchase or regret that you didn’t buy a Rolex in the first place. I like what they are doing but other than the Pelagos lhd I’d probably press the button on an Omega before a Tudor.
Molnboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:26 AM   #37
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Agree with other posters the Omega Seamaster Diver 300m is great combo of quality, prestige and value.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #38
JSanta
"TRF" Member

The AD I purchased my Tudor BB Blue from is no longer carrying the brand. The watch buyer at the store told me that people didn't get them and would tend to go with Tag because "they have heard of the brand before", regardless of his explanations. It's unfortunate to see the only local Tudor retailer stop selling them, but business is business.
JSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:36 AM   #39
WorldTyme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Your friend is most likely ignorant to the facts of Tudor's heritage. He probably thinks of Tudor related to Rolex and Pulsar is/was related to Seiko. Cheaper, lesser know, inferior. I disagree with that assessment as I have owned several Tudor watches. They are fine watches. Give the bloke another chance. LOL!
WorldTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:57 AM   #40
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

As a newbie to this game, and probably a lot like your friend, I would have to say that for £3k or a bit less, I too would have gone for an Omega over a Tudor. Perhaps not a Breitling as most of those seem too big and too bling (though I am sure they are not all like that).

Now I am getting to know a bit more about watches I may well choose the Tudor - Black Bay and Pelagos both look good, the latter especially in the blue. I note from quick random look on a main seller's website that you can actually get a lot of watch for £2500-£3000 - Breitlings that are not as bling and big as I'd thought (Superocean II, Avenger II), Omega Seamasters galore, the above Tudors (including an amazing looking Black Bay Bronze), and a number of Tags.

Hmm, when I go for a second watch some time down the line I think I will look in this price bracket, used. That is, after I have bought a few Seikos.

Thanks for the pointer.
atn_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:51 PM   #41
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
I think Tudor as a brand have certainly upped their game recently with lots of new versions throughout their range. I agree that many non watch fans won’t be familiar with the name and many who do will incorrectly dismiss them as the poor relation to their Father brand. Moving to in house movements shows their intent and real point of difference lines like their Pelagos give them a younger fresher vibe than Rolex in my opinion, however, I just wonder how often you’d look at the watch and be happy with your purchase or regret that you didn’t buy a Rolex in the first place. I like what they are doing but other than the Pelagos lhd I’d probably press the button on an Omega before a Tudor.

I don’t think I will ever buy a Tudor, as good as they are.

Why? Because they use David Beckham as brand ambassador!
Like he needs free wristwatches with his money!