The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 March 2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Watch: GMTII and more
Earliest Rolex Oyster perpetual ever.

I see many interesting watches but this one is probably the most interesting - technically! The Rolex model 1858 ( ser. number 525++) was made in 1933/34 and is based on the 8 3/4 "' movement. The most interesting thing is that the mainspring is not of the slipping variety but has a hook end that, if manually wound, can be fully wound as any manual wind watch! The slipping device is a dished multi-split spring above the ratchet wheel that has to be 'adjusted' to start slipping when the mainspring has five complete turns on the ratchet wheel. The automatic work cannot be remover from the base movement in the usual manner. To split the base movement from the auto work first remove complete movement from case, remove hands and dial then lift movement from automatic work. There are many instructions engraved on the movement to help the watchmaker. Even my early Rolex ref. books do not refer to this model but those of you with the excellent publication 'ROLEX - Collecting Modern and Vintage Wristwatches' by Osvaldo Patrizzi (ISBN 88-900514-3-4) Vol 1 Page 202 can see illustrations of the movement. The illustrations on p203 are not of the movement described. Tylden
Tylden Reed is offline   Reply With Quote