The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2019, 04:38 AM   #31
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
With the Apple Watch 4 and cellular service, I find myself wearing my mechanical watches less and less. The AW just does to many things great, that I miss the convenience when I don’t have it on. I hate it because I love my mechanical watches. But I can leave the house with just my watch and take calls, check email and pay for goods with just my watch, I think it’s amazing.
Agree 100%

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:13 AM   #32
timedate
-

i have a feeling i am going to buy a smart watch, i cant believe i am saying this, at this rate i will be upgrading my 20 year old landcruiser for an electric car....lol
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:16 AM   #33
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I'm the opposite. I bought a Series 3 when they came out and it saw far less wrist time than any of my "standard" watches and sold it. Even just having to worry about keeping it charged was a PITA.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 06:04 AM   #34
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Agree 100%
Unless I had your collection of course you have some amazing pieces, so there must be something to the AW

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 01:12 PM   #35
tmmii
"TRF" Member

I fall into the millennial bucket and those things are fugly.
tmmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 01:37 PM   #36
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Even just having to worry about keeping it charged was a PITA.

There it is... watch Apple collaborate with a maison horlogerie to create a hybrid. A digital watch that can be manually and automatically wound to charge a power source via mechanical movements.

Or... maybe Seiko will catch on and do it themselves.

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:00 PM   #37
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
I think there has been an affect on the luxury market, but time will tell.

I would think the major effect from non watch wearers ( younger) that are starting to make money and get into luxury items. Those people may be less likely to buy luxury watches because of the smart watch trend. I work with a lot of affluent 25-35 year olds m, there are very few nice watches. Lots and lots of apple watches. I don’t have very many friends my age into watches, not counting golf friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 01:35 AM   #38
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I would think the major effect from non watch wearers ( younger) that are starting to make money and get into luxury items. Those people may be less likely to buy luxury watches because of the smart watch trend. I work with a lot of affluent 25-35 year olds m, there are very few nice watches. Lots and lots of apple watches. I don’t have very many friends my age into watches, not counting golf friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing to keep in mind though, is that people change in their taste and view for things as they progress in life. It is a part of nature's course as people go through the normal hormonal and endocrine changes in life. What people like or dislike in their twenties or thirties is not always a good predictor of what they will as they grow older.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:19 AM   #39
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I don't like the hyper-connectivity. I'm an avid Apple product enthusiast, but I like them for the functionality and efficiency when I make the choice to pick them up and use them.

There hasn't been a single time when I need to save the 2 seconds it takes to get my phone out of my pocket to respond to a text or see a notification (mostly deactivated on the phone) and when I'm doing things like eating with friends, riding my bike, or reading on the patio, the last thing I want it the ability to turn my wrist and see what someone says on twitter or a robo-caller coming in.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 04:45 AM   #40
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Smartwatch sales soar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I don't like the hyper-connectivity. I'm an avid Apple product enthusiast, but I like them for the functionality and efficiency when I make the choice to pick them up and use them.

There hasn't been a single time when I need to save the 2 seconds it takes to get my phone out of my pocket to respond to a text or see a notification (mostly deactivated on the phone) and when I'm doing things like eating with friends, riding my bike, or reading on the patio, the last thing I want it the ability to turn my wrist and see what someone says on twitter or a robo-caller coming in.

I think you are like many people. And I thought that way until I realized the watch is a prioritization device for connectivity.

In other words, you don’t have to pull a ringing phone out of your pocket to see who is calling. It lets you avoid hyper connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #41
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think you are like many people. And I thought that way until I realized the watch is a prioritization device for connectivity.

In other words, you don’t have to pull a ringing phone out of your pocket to see who is calling. It lets you avoid hyper connectivity.

I don't pull out my phone though, Haha. If it rings in my car, I can see it on the screen, if it rings at my desk I see it on my iMac. If it vibrates when I'm with someone or doing something important it goes to VM/email.

Perhaps it's how people manage the technology in social and professional settings is where my issue stems from. A constant glowing/buzzing, looking at your wrist is much more intrusive than a phone in a pocket vibrating for only the owner to know about IMO.

I won't harp on it anymore, this is a Smart Watch thread afterall.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 08:38 AM   #42
77T

Quote:
I don't pull out my phone though, Haha. If it rings in my car, I can see it on the screen, if it rings at my desk I see it on my iMac. If it vibrates when I'm with someone or doing something important it goes to VM/email.

Perhaps it's how people manage the technology in social and professional settings is where my issue stems from. A constant glowing/buzzing, looking at your wrist is much more intrusive than a phone in a pocket vibrating for only the owner to know about IMO.

I won't harp on it anymore, this is a Smart Watch thread afterall.

I understand that. And good on ya for that self-control.

As for the sales discussion, since Apple, Samsung and FitBit can churn out millions per year, and they last only 2-3 years before a quantum leap in tech, then Rolex and PP will likely shrink to 20% annual $$$ market share in 3-5 years.

But it’s a market share that won’t put a dent in their actual sales revenue because the two (Smartwatch vs Luxury Swiss) are categorically different.

Old 13 September 2019, 08:41 AM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMO its the other stuff thats the appeal. health tracking in particular. Its only a matter of time until every health obsessed and/or hypochondriac has one and thats a HUGE market. My mother in law goes to the doctor at least weekly and by all accounts is healthy

plus it helps that an apple watch is arguably more of a status symbol than a Rolex because you have to be able to recognize a Rolex and most cant, and spending $400 to $1000 on a "watch" is unheard of for most, and everyone will recognize it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 08:51 AM   #44
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
IMO its the other stuff thats the appeal. health tracking in particular. Its only a matter of time until every health obsessed and/or hypochondriac has one and thats a HUGE market.

I agree - I was helping explain how it can be used to avoid whipping out a phone.

But I do love the AW health functions. Need a new feature: EKG defib.

When I go to my AD and see empty cases my heart goes...

One good jolt later I could be normal again...

Old 13 September 2019, 08:56 AM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree - I was helping explain how it can be used to avoid whipping out a phone.

i watched the apple event the other day and the testimonials on the health stuff was pretty convincing. Obviously its apple marketing, but its undeniable that its very useful, and could save your life.

its hard to compete with that. really hard and people only wear one watch at a time, usually

Im not on board but i would be if i had health issues or when i get older definitely.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 13 September 2019, 09:26 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Same here. I already spend too much time interacting with a screen. And while I understand the health benefits to a heart monitor it is not something I feel I want in my life. I honestly feel it would arouse anxiety for me to have a HRM on me at all times.
Old 13 September 2019, 01:04 PM   #47
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Time for some whacked out thinking. I think the shortage issues with Rolex could help them, regardless of where they are in terms of market share. Not everyone that wants certain Rolex models can get them. Secondary market prices near 200% on some pieces further drive perception of their desirability and worth.

Anybody that wants a smart watch can get one. No shortages. They pump them out as fast as people can grab them, so naturally they have a huge chunk of market share. This is just a guess, but in the changing landscape, market share is mostly irrelevant to Rolex as long as they keep selling virtually every watch they make. I think Rolex will be okay.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 01:14 PM   #48
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

Hopefully it’s also delivering you a dose of anticoagulants and your p2y12 inhibitor...

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:36 PM   #49
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

I can’t see myself ever wearing a smart watch, I would just find it too intrusive. My phone only gets switched on when I want to use it, otherwise, I prefer to be hard to contact. It might infuriate others, but it’s the way I prefer it!

As for all the health stats, I can imagine them creating a world of obsessive hypochondriacs! A healthy lifestyle, plenty exercise and an annual medical has served me well so far.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:38 PM   #50
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

wear smart watch...hoard rolex. lol
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 03:03 PM   #51
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
As smartwatches evolve and become more and more utilitarian, it will almost become a necessity to wear them. It's something I will avoid but eventually the capabilities of these things will be insane.

The positive of this is that it will get many people used to having something on their wrist. Mechanical wristwatches are and will have to continue to be marketed as luxury, status, jewelry, and overall artistry on the wrist. Rolex still tells tales of adventurous stories, which captures the imagination of many but they are also firmly a luxury watch company.

The days of the "tool watch" are coming to an end but that doesn't mean the end of the industry. It's already been decades long rebranding effort since the quartz crisis.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 04:47 AM   #52
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
rolex should sell an addition that wears on the clasp and connects via BT to the iPhone health app which monitors the HB. That way you get to enjoy both worlds without the intrusive aspect of having a phone on your hand.

Honestly I find the apple watch interesting and would love to wear one, I just can't have people calling, texting and emailing me on my wrist. It's too intrusive for me. I remember sitting and talking with someone while their hand was beeping and they kept going back to look at their watches.
Old 15 September 2019, 04:52 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
rolex should sell an addition that wears on the clasp and connects via BT to the iPhone health app which monitors the HB. That way you get to enjoy both worlds without the intrusive aspect of having a phone on your hand.
IWC tried it and it never got off the ground.... never to be heard from again.

I had a BP at the time and would have tried it for sure

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/iw...all-iwc-watche

someone does something like that successfully and im in 100%
Old 15 September 2019, 07:29 AM   #54
Star Ferry
Banned

I have a fitbit. model is inspire HR. for only $99 it's a decent physical activity tracker and heart rate monitor. also tells you the time
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote