The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2016, 03:45 AM   #31
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Keep the 5712. I spoke to an AD (PP boutique in Prague) at the weekend, and she told me that the two most in-demand PPs at the moment are the 5711 and the 5712 (in that order). She thinks that both are about to be deleted.
I seriously doubt any AD knows which nautilus will be discontinued. In fact I know they don't, they're just speculating as most ADs like to do.

Regarding the 5140: Your 3940 is a much more successful design to me. More discreet Patek logo, more refined font on the sub-dials, movement fits the case beautifully, and no squished 5 and 27. A true modern classic. So many people appreciate and even love the design of the 3940, though for some the size might not work. If it works for you then, which it appears it does, I'd skip the 5940, especially as it has the same movement and is essentially the same watch just a tad larger and in a different color. 5960 or keeping the 5712 would be my preference.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 03:56 AM   #32
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
I seriously doubt any AD knows which nautilus will be discontinued. In fact I know they don't, they're just speculating as most ADs like to do.
And don't forget...'price increase soon' and 'we just received this one' (other favorite AD lines to drive urgency)
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 04:05 AM   #33
martinr
"TRF" Member

I love the way rumors get spread. A salesperson at an AD in Prague says the 5711 and 5712 are popular and about to be deleted. Why, if they are the most popular, would Patek discontinue them? Also, everyone knows that salespeople at AD's wouldn't have that info. So why put it out there on a forum? And Paul, the price on the watch you're looking at is going up as soon as you walk out the door.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 04:06 AM   #34
mzmonzon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719, PP 5726A
I would do it only because I'm not a fan of the 5712 either. The 5960p on the other hand man... what a great looking watch especially in blue. I would get the blue if I were you since it seems that's what you really like. I think your itch will stay even if you got the gray and end up flipping for the blue and losing even more money. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mzmonzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 04:41 AM   #35
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

I too thought I'd love the 5960p but tried it and it didn't work for me. My 5711 (and I believe the 5712) are transitional wearers -- you can just as easily dress up or dress down and the watch looks right.

The problem I had with the 5960 was that I felt it was neither here nor there: too big/tall to be a dress watch and too polished/shiny to be casual (would need some brushed elements to achieve this I think). So I just wasn't sure how to wear it...

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful timepiece and horologically important -- just didn't match my personal style.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 06:24 AM   #36
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I love the way rumors get spread. A salesperson at an AD in Prague says the 5711 and 5712 are popular and about to be deleted. Why, if they are the most popular, would Patek discontinue them? Also, everyone knows that salespeople at AD's wouldn't have that info. So why put it out there on a forum? And Paul, the price on the watch you're looking at is going up as soon as you walk out the door.
I'm just reporting a chat with an AD. I made it pretty clear that the AD suspects the current Nauts are about to be discontinued, but that she didn't know for sure. I've heard the same from a couple of other ADs in the past two months.

I made it clear to her during our chat that I was "just looking", not buying, and that I already own the 5712. So, she wasn't trying to sell me anything.

She just volunteered the information that the 5711 and 5712 are the top two sellers. If you guys don't like, or want, or don't agree with that information, that's quite all right with me: I'll keep any further info I may have to myself.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 09:45 AM   #37
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm just reporting a chat with an AD. I made it pretty clear that the AD suspects the current Nauts are about to be discontinued, but that she didn't know for sure. I've heard the same from a couple of other ADs in the past two months.

I made it clear to her during our chat that I was "just looking", not buying, and that I already own the 5712. So, she wasn't trying to sell me anything.

She just volunteered the information that the 5711 and 5712 are the top two sellers. If you guys don't like, or want, or don't agree with that information, that's quite all right with me: I'll keep any further info I may have to myself.
No AD knows anything about it. Neither do any of the mega-collectors. Doesn't matter how much they chatter.
Regarding the 5712, the confusion I think lies in the term you used - desirable.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 10:31 AM   #38
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
What I actually said was "the two most in-demand PPs..."

Whether the 5711 and/or 5712 are "desirable" is up to you. Personally, I think the 5711 is a bit boring and has little or nothing to offer over a Rolex Sub-Date, which I have, and so that's why I went for the 12. Others prefer the 11. Some others don't like any Nauts at all. We are all different.

Anyway, this is going nowhere, so over and out from me on this topic.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 10:35 AM   #39
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm....

Quote:
People who don't like the 5712 are "outliers", as it is the second-most desirable PP at the moment, among the great unwashed watch-buying populace.
Old 31 August 2016, 11:47 AM   #40
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I could imagine the 5711 getting a little facelift for the 40th or at Basel, like different blue, frame on the date, basically that's it, don't imagine the 5712 being erased at all, it's the Nautilus which has the most different variations, 5 if you count the 2 with diamonds, ok they don't have the exact same ref but it's the same watches with diamonds, so yes they are good sellers but unless Patek replaces them with with watches very very close, can't imagine why they would want to shut them down, would be stupid...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 01:25 PM   #41
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
The thing is Patek Philippe always do things that we least expect, this happend to the 5960A & 5524G. I am quite excited what will they do this time. Looking forward to the launch
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 05:36 PM   #42
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

Whether the 5711 and/or 5712 are "desirable" is up to you. Personally, I think the 5711 is a bit boring and has little or nothing to offer over a Rolex Sub-Date, which I have, and so that's why I went for the 12. Others prefer the 11. Some others don't like any Nauts at all. We are all different.

Anyway, this is going nowhere, so over and out from me on this topic.

I think your statement was pretty clear and fine -at least for me- ,surely the Nautilus line is the bread and butter (obviously not in term of turnover)for PP and I really not sure if they can afford to drop these two references.We will see what brings tomorrow.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 07:07 PM   #43
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
I think your statement was pretty clear and fine -at least for me- ,surely the Nautilus line is the bread and butter (obviously not in term of turnover)for PP and I really not sure if they can afford to drop these two references.We will see what brings tomorrow.
They are the 2 Nautilus references that sell often for over retail at gray dealers, to stop the 5711 would be like AP shutting down the 15202, crazy, always possible but they would be really stupid to do so, though a few minor changes are possible on these references, a total erasing is not going to happen IMO
Old 1 September 2016, 04:05 AM   #44
Watchoholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5980 + 5270P
5960 blue platinum

Hi All, I have several nautilus models but must say, I have been falling in love with 5960 plat since early this year but have not found the blue preowned at a reasonable price. I saw a pic you posted with the blue on your wrist, is that pre-owned or new? And if you don't mind me asking how much where they asking for it? Tnx
Watchoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 04:21 AM   #45
Watchoholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5980 + 5270P
On the topic of discontinued Pateks, I ventured into a single sealed plat gondolo 5098 (too small to wear and not my style) thinking it will appreciate since it was discontinued back in 2013. However seems still a lot of stock at AD. Despite high retail, I got a super deal! I should have guessed why I got such a good deal on a discontinued Patek.
Watchoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 04:23 AM   #46
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Keep the 5712. It's the best Nautilus out there, in my opinion. It's an iconic watch.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 10:04 AM   #47
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Dear all, just to update, I finally flipped my 5712 for a 5164R. Will receive it in 2 weeks. I used to have the 5164A but let it go after having it for 5 months. The rose gold really makes a big difference in look and feel.

(Sorry this is running on 2 posts as I initially created it in a general post and realized it was more appropriate in the Patek section but couldn't delete the original post).

I wanted a sporty watch (hence the 5960 a few weeks ago) and a coloured gold piece as I only have white metals. 5164R seems to combine both characteristics without having to buy 2 watches.

Photos from lesrhabilleurs.com and esquire.co.uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 10:32 AM   #48
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Good decision! My vote is for the 5712, so glad you kept it.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 11:18 AM   #49
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeyers View Post
Exactly, and the 5164R is a great piece when you see it in real...
Old 14 September 2016, 12:39 PM   #50
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

brmeyers, you meant I made a mistake

Old 14 September 2016, 01:18 PM   #51
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Congrats

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:20 PM   #52
Patek Philippe
"TRF" Member

Hugh congrats. The 5164r looks gorgeous and the rose gold is irresistible. Don't regret flipping the 5712.

If I had the fund, I would kept the 5712 and add the new 5164r
Patek Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:29 PM   #53
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

I already have way too many watches for one wrist, so I tell myself, if I want to get a new one, I need to give up one too

Old 14 September 2016, 03:32 PM   #54
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Should I flip my 5712 for a 5960P?

So I have to make choices, and it really makes one think over, and if the new one is really that attractive, which one am I willing to let go to let the new one in. If I don't find compelling to let any one of my current ones go, it means the new one is not good enough for me to replace.

Buying is easy if you have the funds, but one may end up on a dangerous buying spree

Old 14 September 2016, 04:35 PM   #55
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Exactly, and the 5164R is a great piece when you see it in real...
Guys, just re-read what Pingparme said :

"Dear all, just to update, I finally flipped my 5712 for a 5164R."

Congratulations to the OP on his new incoming.
Old 14 September 2016, 10:15 PM   #56
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
Dear all, just to update, I finally flipped my 5712 for a 5164R. Will receive it in 2 weeks. I used to have the 5164A but let it go after having it for 5 months. The rose gold really makes a big difference in look and feel.

(Sorry this is running on 2 posts as I initially created it in a general post and realized it was more appropriate in the Patek section but couldn't delete the original post).

I wanted a sporty watch (hence the 5960 a few weeks ago) and a coloured gold piece as I only have white metals. 5164R seems to combine both characteristics without having to buy 2 watches.

Photos from lesrhabilleurs.com and esquire.co.uk

Hope you enjoy it and congrats (good move on trading 5712).

I know someone else that is getting one...but can't recall who it is again?

I think it's sitting at his AD for three weeks now

Looking forward to incoming shots like this...who is it again...anyone remember
Old 14 September 2016, 11:09 PM   #57
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Great move, fantastic watch!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 11:38 PM   #58
ap1
2024 Pledge Member