The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
How long does a new Rolex stay within the -2/+2 accuracy?

I know that the new Rolex standard is -2/+2 accuracy right out of the factory. But how long is a modern Rolex supposed to maintain this accuracy?

Is it part of the 5 year Rolex warranty?

Does anyone know?
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:59 PM   #2
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
I know that the new Rolex standard is -2/+2 accuracy right out of the factory. But how long is a modern Rolex supposed to maintain this accuracy?

Is it part of the 5 year Rolex warranty?

Does anyone know?
My Sub is 6 years within that standard.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

My guess is it depends on when you stop timing it! Honestly, this never really concerns me anymore, although I use to obsess over it as well.

In my observations, the more I wear some watches, the longer they are accurate; the more time I just wind it and keep in the safe, or on a winder, the more time one gains or loses.

I hope someone uploads the self regulating picture because how you store the watch can help with your time keeping accuracy.
Old 1 February 2018, 03:38 PM   #4
modabyboutique
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd40 yg baguette
One of mines from 2013 and has been dead on for the last 10 times I've timed it. Never serviced. Another sub I have from 2000 is + 2.8 average never serviced
modabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 08:50 PM   #5
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
My SubC is exactly 3 years old now, and has maintained +1.4 since day one. I don’t expect anything to change anytime soon...
wolffram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:59 PM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
My guess is it depends on when you stop timing it! Honestly, this never really concerns me anymore, although I use to obsess over it as well.

In my observations, the more I wear some watches, the longer they are accurate; the more time I just wind it and keep in the safe, or on a winder, the more time one gains or loses.

I hope someone uploads the self regulating picture because how you store the watch can help with your time keeping accuracy.

Hi :)

Is this the pic you are talking about?

Stole it from a thread yesterday hehe

IMG_6031.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 01:47 AM   #7
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

Attachment 924113

For modern movements, this really doesn't apply anymore. This paper is a relic from the past.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:19 AM   #8
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
For modern movements, this really doesn't apply anymore. This paper is a relic from the past.
Awe man!

Haha thanks for letting me know.
Old 2 February 2018, 02:21 AM   #9
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Attachment 924113
Holy Guacamole! Isn't that watch instructions from the time when 5 Star General Dwight D "Ike" Eisenhower was President of the United States of America?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:24 AM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Holy Guacamole! Isn't that watch instructions from the time when 5 Star General Dwight D "Ike" Eisenhower was President of the United States of America?
Idk haha

I saw it in a post yesterday, and stole it :0

Let me try to remove the post.

P.S. not a guacamole fan. I prefer pico de gallo
Old 2 February 2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Quote:

Attachment 924113

Been doing this for years!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:27 AM   #12
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Quote:

Attachment 924113

Been doing this for years!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #13
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

Attachment 924113

Okay guys and gals, I posted this because I saw it on a thread yesterday.

Some members have replied saying this no longer applies.

I tried deleting the pic or the post, but don’t know how because I posted it using Tapatalk and it doesn’t seem to give me the option to edit.

I tried going online to edit, but it doesn’t give me the option either as it does when I post online originalily.

I apologize !
Old 2 February 2018, 02:59 AM   #14
blnrrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Great stuff
blnrrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:09 AM   #15
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a 2017 DJ41 with 3235 movement. It's interesting to see this paper as I'd noticed that my watch was 3-4 seconds fast after 3 months and so instead of resting it on its side, crown down, at night I changed to crown up and it lost those extra seconds after a few weeks. So I can vouch for the "crown up loses more seconds" advice on the paper.

Today, it's spot on to the second after five and a bit months, but only thanks to this advice which I spotted elsewhere previously.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:50 AM   #16
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Okay guys and gals, I posted this because I saw it on a thread yesterday.

Some members have replied saying this no longer applies.

I tried deleting the pic or the post, but don’t know how because I posted it using Tapatalk and it doesn’t seem to give me the option to edit.

I tried going online to edit, but it doesn’t give me the option either as it does when I post online originalily.

I apologize !
Some people say it doesn't apply, but for my 116610 it applies perfectly. Then again, the 3135 movement is now 30 years old.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Gravity is still the main enemy of any mechanical movement no matter the make or calibre. When resting off wrist flat dial up or dial down the balance staff runs on the ends of it's pivots very little or no added friction. Thus the balance wheel has a very slightly higher amplitude so will make movement run very very slightly faster. When watch is off wrist vertical crown up or down the balance staff pivots runs on the sides of the balance pivot causing a tiny more added friction this slows the amplitude so will run very slightly slower. In wearing through the day these different wearing positions hopefully balance out if watch is regulated correctly, but this dont always apply no matter the brand or movement.A well regulated watch will have an amplitude of between 270 to 300 in different positions on full manual winding at peak mainspring power.And on one of these winding machines where the watch is normally in the same position 24/7 this too could vary timing when compared to a watch on the wrist.And no matter whatever calibre is in any Rolex watch it will need some sort of regulation and service in its mechanical life.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #18
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Gravity is still the main enemy of any mechanical movement no matter the make or calibre. When resting off wrist flat dial up or dial down the balance staff runs on the ends of it's pivots very little or no added friction. Thus the balance wheel has a very slightly higher amplitude so will make movement run very very slightly faster. When watch is off wrist vertical crown up or down the balance staff pivots runs on the sides of the balance pivot causing a tiny more added friction this slows the amplitude so will run very slightly slower. In wearing through the day these different wearing positions hopefully balance out if watch is regulated correctly, but this dont always apply no matter the brand or movement.A well regulated watch will have an amplitude of between 270 to 300 in different positions on full manual winding at peak mainspring power.And on one of these winding machines where the watch is normally in the same position 24/7 this too could vary timing when compared to a watch on the wrist.And no matter whatever calibre is in any Rolex watch it will need some sort of regulation and service in its mechanical life.
Thank you.

I always keep my watch "crown up", resting on the side, for these reasons. And it's running +1/day, which is perfect for me
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 10:22 AM   #19
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Here’s how it works for me so far with the 116719 GMT II. The red curve is the average daily rate. It seems like longer periods of motorcycle riding 600+ km per day are upsetting the rate. You can clearly see two rate changes when I rode into vacations.

I went to an AD and they say leave it like it is because regulating the watch running -3s would be an unnecessary intervention.

broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 10:56 AM   #20
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If you're into accuracy, these principles still apply - even for modern movements. You can do some simple testing to figure out which position works for your watch to gain or lose seconds while you're not wearing it at night.

I bought a Sub not long ago that was gaining 8-10 seconds a day so I figured out (with the help of a timegrapher) by placing it face-up overnight, the watch equalized that gain and all was good.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #21
schoolboy
Banned

Nice to know that these "tricks" still work for some of the members
Old 2 February 2018, 12:46 PM   #22
JBoone
"TRF" Member

My 3235 DJ41 gains slightly when off wrist face up as opposed to losing a bit on the wrist. Seems to be some truth in that old document in my case.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:29 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoone View Post
My 3235 DJ41 gains slightly when off wrist face up as opposed to losing a bit on the wrist. Seems to be some truth in that old document in my case.
The simple answer gravity affects all mechanical watches all brands,and no purely mechanical watch today no matter the brand will be 100% everyday perfect accurate.While on the wrist metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on all effect accuracy.But for any mechanical watch to run within in a few seconds either way, out of 86400 in a day truly is a mechanical marvel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 07:07 PM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
It's my understanding that the watch will only be in +/- 2 secs while being observed. Other times it is out joy riding, carrying on, and partying. It always gets its act together when someone decides to look at it. They're very sneaky. If you want it to stay with in +/- 2 seconds it needs to be carefully watched, so to speak.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 07:29 PM   #25
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
It doesn't bother me this +2/-2secs a day to be honest.Even if it was +60/-60secs I would just alter the hands to suit. People get paranoid about it being in tolerance.
Old 2 February 2018, 07:54 PM   #26
run23
"TRF" Member

Overnight positioning seems to effect my 17 year old Sub, although I haven’t exactly rigorously tested to some sort of scientific standard. My watch gains a little time during the day, and then loses a little time when rested on its side crown up where I can get on average pretty close to perfect time, with some variation throughout the day.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote