The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 August 2005, 08:39 AM   #1
----

Career troubles

So, been having a bit of a rough time at work lately. First, some background:

I've been at the same place for 19 years as of June of 2005. I have basically done the same or very similar work all that time (manufacturing/process engineering). My job is to install new equipment in the plant for various reasons - improving productivity, safety or quality, etc. I've buikt additions to the plant, put in multi-million dollar production lines - the works. I really like the projects that I get to do.

I am the senior mechanical engineer in a department of 9 engineers in total at this time (4 electrical, 4 mechanical, and one systems guy). I have worked for the same person for 17 of the 19 years I have been there, and during that time he has made certain promises to me. We have always had a manager, and a supervisor of engineering. He was the supervisor up until about 3 years ago, when the long-time manager finally retired. It was assumed by everyone, including me, that my supervisor would move up to the manager's postion, and I would be named the supervisor. It didn't happen that way - he moved up, I didn't.

At the time, I asked why, and was told that I had too much on my plate, and could be removed from project work. My manager had stated for 2.5 years that he could not fill both rolls, so I took on extra duties that would be the supervisor's if we had one, but for no additional recognition or pay. This was all with the idea that I would eventually roll into that position. Along the way, the next most senior mechanical guy quit. Then another mechanical guy quit who had been there only 5 years, so we hired 2 newbies right out of school to fill their spots. Now for sure I could not be the supervisor (I was told), as I was the only mechanical guy there with any experience at all.

But then, the guy that quit who had been there 16 years, came back (his new position at this other company did not work out). So that is where we are right now.

I recently approached my manager about my desire that "something" has to happen soon, because I will not wait forever. Just so you know, we have a system like many companies, where there is a technical ladder, and a management ladder. On the technical ladder, where I am now, I have been the equivalent of the supervisor position for 9 years now. I expressed my desire to move up the technical ladder to the next position (equivalent to a manager) or get the supervisor's position soon, or I would have to start looking somewhere else. My boss did not take that well (as I expected) and I told him that I really needed to hear from him that we were on track to something other than the present situation.

He then told me that he was not sure what structure he wants the department to take over time. I was floored. This is the first time ever that when we spoke about this move, he said HE was thinking of something different. In the past, he's always put me off by saying that he was fighting battles to get more people, or get some other person a promotion, so it was not a good time to push my position change to upper management. Or, we were in a slow period and the company was suffering, so it "wasn't the right time" to ask.

So, I'm now thinking that I've been on a wild goose chase for years, and I'm not very happy about it. I actually love the work I do, but feel that I've been used by the company, or at least by my manager. I have a feeling that the mechanical engineer that left and came back, may be someone they have plans for (he left because he felt there was no future for him there, so why did he come back?) I am not sure what to do next, but mid-year performance reviews are coming up soon. I wonder what tactic I should take in the review regarding this issue. Do I tell him that I'll dop all the "extra" things I'm doing? If I do, I'll be branded as a troublemaker for sure.

I think everyone has times when they hate their jobs, and don't want to go there. The problem for me is, those times are more frequent, and last longer as time goes by. Anyway, I needed to rant about this to get it off my chest more than anything, but I certainly welcome your opinions. Of course I could always leave, but I see that as a last resort, and I would rather get what I've been promised.......
Old 12 August 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
AJC
"TRF" Member

There is not much of a thing in job loyalty these days.

I think it might be time to move on if it gets to the point where you are feeling frustrated as this life is much too short to be unhappy.

The other approach is to let it be known to the upper management exactly what your hopes and ambitions are.Spell it out and don't wait for your destiny to come to you but seek it out yourself.

Good Luck
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2005, 01:27 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I am sorry to hear about the problems Al. Sometimes people take a person for granted when they do an excellent job and never make waves. You should not be punished for being good at your job.

I think a talk with someone even higher may be the ticket to getting something done, even if that something is you moving on so that they can see their loss.

I hope more than anything that is not the case and they can see where you are coming from and reward your loyalty and great work mate!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2005, 04:33 PM   #4
singh

Avalon : I have the following quotes for you:

- Love your job not your company
& you are going steady for almost two decades !

- Even your mother doesnt feed you if you dont cry / scream
& youve been accepting additional responsibilities silently on verbal promises!

Dont tell him this but yes, do this slowly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I wonder what tactic I should take in the review regarding this issue. Do I tell him that I'll dop all the "extra" things I'm doing? If I do, I'll be branded as a troublemaker for sure.
and lastly keep visiting sites like these www.monster.com

I wish something works out for you as per your wishes ! Very soon !

Good luck.

Last edited by singh; 12 August 2005 at 07:09 PM..
singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2005, 06:33 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Al, I can sympathise with you and I know how you feel.Worked in the steel industry for 29 years,started as a general dogs body.But gradually
worked my way up to shift Foreman then to general Foreman.Was passed
over several times,reason given was needed for production work.Only a few on site at this time could drive or operate all the heavy duty machines.But in the end got my reward to middle management,so hang in there mate you will get your just promotion.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Atomic

Al I've known this was coming based on previous conversations and it's a tough position to be in. Given your tenure there and the promises made, I would build a case for yourself to present as part of your annual review. Use old reviews to show where you've identified areas of growth that management didn't deliver on for you (and show where you've taken on added responsibility with no pay or title).

I'd present it in a non-confrontational, facts is facts kinda way as part of your review process and see what comes. If it's documented in this way, then Human Resources is pulled into the mix, which can't hurt.

Given that the guy who left (for lack of future) came back, I'd take that as a sign that perhaps they have plans for him. Who, in this day and age, leaves a company voluntarily and then is welcomed back with open arms? The only time I've seen that happen is when the pot is sweetened.

I'd also do what singh suggested... slowly remove yourself from extra responsibilities (in the event the review goes nowhere) because after 19 years, total commitment and loyalty and good work being done, you should certainly be part of the management team and you've showed patience. At this point why work harder than you have to for the same pay?

At the same time, I'd start shopping my C.V. to headhunters and talking to contacts and looking on the net. After 19 years at the same place the idea of a switch can be scarey, but if you're not happy and don't seem to be valued there... it could be time for a change.

My 'too' cents and I hope whatever tactic you use, that it works out in your favour.
Old 13 August 2005, 02:15 AM   #7
----

Thanks for all your responses - they are very much appreciated. I especially like that everyone did not just tell me to leave. In fact, that is the kind of talk the company/boss throws around whenever I express my frustration about these things. You are all correct, there is no loyalty on the part of the company, yet they still expect it from the employees. Yes, there have been times when things were very slow and I was glad to simply have my job. But the company continuing with that kind of message to me even when things are good wears thin quite quickly.

As John so correctly pointed out, leaving after 19 years would be tough. Not only from the standpoint of having to learn a new plant/process (and the people and politics) all over again from scratch (I know this plant very well, as there aren't many areas that I have not touched over the years), I am due to receive 5 weeks vacation soon, and that is particularly hard to give up. I know I could try to negotiate vacation at the next place, but I am pretty sure 5 weeks would not be on the table.

I will begin putting together a case for myself. Not only have I taken on extra duties, but have always been a top performer, and have taken all the management courses that I've been asked to take, and in fact have asked for more to prepare for this position.

I think one of the big issues is that I have taken on so much in the way of extra work over the years, and I get so much more done than many others here, that I have made myself too valuable in the position I am in. I don't mean to sound like I'm blowing my own horn, but even my manager has told me on occasion he doesn't know how I get so much done, and still keep everything on time and in budget.

John - you are spot on. The place I work is one where if you leave, you usually never come back (only two instances that I know of, including this one). The fact that this other guy has come back, has virtually everyone thinking that he is in line for something. One of the reasons he left (as he told me) was that he saw me as the person in line for the engineering supervisor's job. If he has come back, that is a signal to me that I am no longer the guy - having said that he might be in line for a job in production as well, but of course he denies anything of the sort.

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments.

Regards, Al
Old 15 August 2005, 08:18 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Best of luck pal!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2005, 02:16 PM   #9
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Rough deal you've got there, Al. It would certainly be imprudent to quit at this stage since nobody's actively forcing you out - best to jump ship only if there's another ship to jump to. All the best!
Old 16 August 2005, 04:45 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Read this entire thread, guys.

Al, all I can say is good luck in your decision. You are still young and well qualified so you could move on if you wanted to. Not too sure about the job situation where you are, but here in NZ unemployment rate is at an all time low of just 3.6% in many years.

At my age (turning 59 in October), it would be well nigh impossible for me to find another job as few employers would want a person who is just a few years off retirement (65).

Anyway, all the best to you and Jacqui.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote