The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2024, 06:15 AM   #1
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Rolex are laughing at us.

I just watched the below attached video from watch advisor about the JLC novelties.
I can't help but think that Rolex are laughing at us, they must think we are fools to continue buying their watches!
What do their R&D department do all year? Come up with a new dial colour or bezel colour? Put a load of diamonds on something? Create a £50k gold dive watch?!
I wish they would put some of their billions into maybe one line of high horology to show us what they can do! Just something to excite me. /rant over.

https://youtu.be/bpeeB6AnUKg?si=4pu-T_64jhv4uMyw

https://youtu.be/bpeeB6AnUKg?si=4pu-T_64jhv4uMyw
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:20 AM   #2
Patekfinder
Banned

This watch from JLC isn’t impressive, sorry. And you’re way off the mark.

There are hundreds of boutique high end haute horlogerie companies building watches with great anglage and petit d’bull. None of the watches are reliable or accurate. None. And they all look the same and they all bore me.

Rolex puts its engineering resources into building the most reliable and durable mechanical movements on earth. If you don’t like what rolex represents, then you’re welcome to go buy a JLC. You can wear most Rolexes from the battlefields of Afghanistan to the boardrooms of New York. You can beat the piss out of them and they will continue to be accurate, reliable, and durable, with elements of remaining luxury.

And Rolexes engineers have been very busy focusing on making the most durable mechanical watches in the world even more durable. For example, last year at W&W Rolex quietly released the new Sky-Dweller movement with calibre 9002 with the new the Chronergy escapement and a new oscillating weight with an optimised ball bearing for even MORE durability and reliability while increasing power reserve to more than 70 hours and adding the blue Parachrom hairspring, and Paraflex shock absorbers, to provide greater accuracy and resistance to shocks and magnetic fields.

If you want what’s in the video, then go buy it. You’re looking at the wrong company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lol-x; 11 April 2024 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: profanity
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:46 AM   #3
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Let them laugh, I love the watches and would buy them regardless
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:49 AM   #4
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Jaeger, seriously?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:51 AM   #5
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Not sure about the Jaeger, but agree with the sentiment regarding Rolex.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:40 AM   #6
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Jaeger, seriously?
JLC are one of the finest movement manufacturers in the world. They’ve supplied Patek, VC, Cartier, and many others over the years, and they are probably known for their movements more than anything else. They are comfortably in a completely different league to Rolex when it comes to movement innovation. Yes some people will talk about Rolex’s “bulletproof reliability” compared to other brands, and while that is true to some extent (primarily because simple, well engineered 3 handers have less to go wrong), Rolex are far from infallible. After all, let’s not forget Rolex’s 32xx amplitude/slowing issues over the last few years…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Rolex fan and I generally like what they make, but I also find myself agreeing with the OP’s sentiments to a certain degree as well. Let’s be totally honest, a few different coloured dials, a bit of “mix and match” with existing cases/bezels/bracelets, or a change of metal, can easily be seen as a lazy money grab. Rolex know that anything that says “Rolex” on it will sell. They simply don’t have to innovate all that often because we let them get away with it.
Old 10 April 2024, 08:45 AM   #7
Tom Arai
Banned

Why not keep buying lots of models very nice and have not changed so why not keep buying. You don’t like new watch don’t buy that one but still many watches I like a lot.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:55 AM   #8
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

With some of the responses all over the forum today, I'm laughing too!!!!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:59 AM   #9
zjd168
"TRF" Member

why trying to “fix” a winning plan? I wouldn’t do anything differently if in charge either
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:04 AM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Those watches aren’t my style. I do appreciate the artisanal aspect of them, but I’m just not interested.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:18 AM   #11
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with OP there are many other watch brands that came out with some nice pieces today. Rolex is all about which dial color or bracelet will be on next GMT. Laughable in comparison to some horology houses. Not trying to bash Rolex either but I’m sure some ADs get a kick out of people when this day comes every year.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:02 AM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I agree with OP there are many other watch brands that came out with some nice pieces today. Rolex is all about which dial color or bracelet will be on next GMT. Laughable in comparison to some horology houses. Not trying to bash Rolex either but I’m sure some ADs get a kick out of people when this day comes every year.
To be fair, it's sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Rolexs are like an F-150 Raptor. You can beat it up. You can drive it on the beach. You can drive it in the snow and wintry weather, and you don't have to worry about monstrous-sized potholes or ground clearance.

Those JLCs are like a Ferrari 296 GTS. You can't drive it on the beach. You can't drive it in snowy weather. You can't drive it on bad roads with potholes. You can't beat it up. You can take it on a weekend trip to the beach, but there is always the possibility of it developing some sort of quirky electrical problem.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:14 AM   #13
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
To be fair, it's sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Rolexs are like an F-150 Raptor. You can beat it up. You can drive it on the beach. You can drive it in the snow and wintry weather, and you don't have to worry about monstrous-sized potholes or ground clearance.

Those JLCs are like a Ferrari 296 GTS. You can't drive it on the beach. You can't drive it in snowy weather. You can't drive it on bad roads with potholes. You can't beat it up. You can take it on a weekend trip to the beach, but there is always the possibility of it developing some sort of quirky electrical problem.
Fair point in comparison to JLC. I was talking more about the other watchmakers in general. Also as far as ruggedness, Rolex isn't the only brand out there that can achieve this. My Omega 300M can probably take just as good beating as any of my Rolex watches and you don't have to wait years for one either.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:27 AM   #14
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Yes some people will talk about Rolex’s “bulletproof reliability” compared to other brands, and while that is true to some extent (primarily because simple, well engineered 3 handers have less to go wrong), Rolex are far from infallible.
I think "bulletproof reliability" is an excellent argument to choose a tool watch, but it is not even worth considering for a jewelry watch.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:30 AM   #15
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post

Bro is currently working on his own perpetual calendar tourbillon in his workshop 😂
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:36 AM   #16
Pablito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
JLC are one of the finest movement manufacturers in the world. They’ve supplied Patek, VC, Cartier, and many others over the years, and they are probably known for their movements more than anything else. They are comfortably in a completely different league to Rolex when it comes to movement innovation. Yes some people will talk about Rolex’s “bulletproof reliability” compared to other brands, and while that is true to some extent (primarily because simple, well engineered 3 handers have less to go wrong), Rolex are far from infallible. After all, let’s not forget Rolex’s 32xx amplitude/slowing issues over the last few years…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Rolex fan and I generally like what they make, but I also find myself agreeing with the OP’s sentiments to a certain degree as well. Let’s be totally honest, a few different coloured dials, a bit of “mix and match” with existing cases/bezels/bracelets, or a change of metal, can easily be seen as a lazy money grab. Rolex know that anything that says “Rolex” on it will sell. They simply don’t have to innovate all that often because we let them get away with it.
Indeed let’s not forget 32XX, and I personally don’t forget gmt and sub had to be fixed at RSC for being over - 15 sec a day. I’m not that convinced we can talk about bullet proof at this point. Anyway excellent and compliant service at least
Today it’s finally more exciting to see what other brands can offer, since as you mention, since anything with a Rolex typo will sell.
I’ll try to find an interview of Mr Dufour around WW this year, who transparently remind us that Rolex is « selling dream », that’s what they do.
To my mind this dream is about to fade away sometimes
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 11:41 AM   #17
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Sorry to say I agree with the OP on this one, and its not just Rolex. Tudor and Panerai also kind of phoned it in as I see it. The nicest iteration that I saw so far was from IWC - the new Portuguese - glass dial, new movement kind of awesome. Rolex, Tudor and Panerai seem to be resting on aesthetics.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:06 PM   #18
sys999
"TRF" Member

Do people really get this worked up over things like this?
sys999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #19
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys999 View Post
Do people really get this worked up over things like this?
Yes
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:32 PM   #20
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
The new JLC and VC pieces are amazing works of horological significance. They hit it out of the park this year. I agree with you if the designers at Rolex imagine what we would have!
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 01:18 PM   #21
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
Bro is currently working on his own perpetual calendar tourbillon in his workshop

No, I just buy them.

Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 03:09 PM   #22
Lu..
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB Pro
I laugh on some of these threads....Rolex is not laughing....they are just conservative as always...and they sell every piece they make....Tudor is the one who has to motivate to move steel....
Old 10 April 2024, 09:52 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Jaeger, seriously?
Just go with it... he's a fanboy. Let them dream....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:01 PM   #24
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Drop any Rolex watch five feet onto a tiled floor, and find out how "bulletproof" and "rugged" it truly is.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:12 PM   #25
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
We are probably just a small, mostly insignificant part of their clientele. They may watch what’s said here, but don’t expect them to listen. When they make something I like, I buy it, as I have many times. I don’t think they care enough to laugh.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:16 PM   #26
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are hundreds of boutique high end haute horlogerie companies building watches with great anglage and petit d’bullshit. None of the watches are reliable or accurate. None. And they all look the same and they all bore me.

Rolex puts its engineering resources into building the most reliable and durable mechanical movements on earth. If you don’t like what rolex represents, then you’re welcome to go buy a JLC. You can wear most Rolexes from the battlefields of Afghanistan to the boardrooms of New York. You can beat the piss out of them and they will continue to be accurate, reliable, and durable, with elements of remaining luxury.

And Rolexes engineers have been very busy focusing on making the most durable mechanical watches in the world even more durable. For example, last year at W&W Rolex quietly released the new Sky-Dweller movement with calibre 9002 with the new the Chronergy escapement and a new oscillating weight with an optimised ball bearing for even MORE durability and reliability while increasing power reserve to more than 70 hours and adding the blue Parachrom hairspring, and Paraflex shock absorbers, to provide greater accuracy and resistance to shocks and magnetic fields.

If you want what’s in the video, then go buy it. You’re looking at the wrong company.

who hurt you?
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:16 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you think they have made a fool of you, stop buying, sell what you have and ignore them. If you think they have made a fool of anyone else you don't know what you are talking about.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:22 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
No, I just buy them.

Touché
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:23 PM   #29
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Drop any Rolex watch five feet onto a tiled floor, and find out how "bulletproof" and "rugged" it truly is.
Been there, done that. Kept on ticking keeping excellent time.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:25 PM   #30
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.. View Post
I laugh on some of these threads....Rolex is not laughing....they are just conservative as always...and they sell every piece they make....Tudor is the one who has to motivate to move steel....
Agree.
Most do not realize just how conservative the brand really is.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote