"TRF" Member

2 TT DJ’s & a sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Jacksh
"TRF" Member

Background talk
I love watches...I bought my first watch when I was in the 7th grade, it was a blue strap no name chronograph that I loved and eventually fell off my wrist. Then came a few swatches & a g-shock and med school and then you don’t have time for watches (too much alcohol that is). In my 5th year I bought a hydroconquest longines that started a crazy chain reaction. I flipped it to a Longines quadruple retrograde (yes, there are such things) but something was missing. Since then I had a Breitling chronomat evolution blue dial, submariner with aluminum bezel, Breitling superocean heritage (great, well build watch, woven spectacular bracelet) and an aerospace avantage with bronze concentric dial (I held the last two & sold the others on the go). My wife was about to graduate law school, so I wanted get her something meaningful. I went to the AD and asked him about watches for my girl. He recommended a Datejust which I saw in his stock collection and it was beautiful. I told him that when I l’ll finish my residency I would like to have the most iconic classic durable versatile coffee making Rolex, Submariner (ceramic). He told me that classic iconic versatile is fine but it is the DATEJUST that answers to all of the above. I was skeptical. My younger brother told me that he likes the Datejust but he knows nothing about watches (good taste though). After some research, friend’s wrist sighting and Rolex forum threads I decided to go for the Datejust. And a month later ceramic sub (the AD made an offer I couldn’t refuse...I sold my 2 Breitling).

Watch talk
Sub 114060: it grew on me ; ). At first I was disappointed, the bracelet didn’t fit (too loose or too tight), the crown wasn’t aligned (didn’t happened with the Breits) & it ran too slow, 2 minutes a day slow & the last thing I wanted was they open a brand new Sub. Eventually I realized my wrist wasn’t symmetric and in order to get the best fit, the clasp should sit a bit on the side and not in the middle. The glidelock works as a charm and the watch itself is well build and manage to stand out in the crowd of “homages”. I like especially the “klink” sound of the bracelet which gives a very prestige feeling. For me the overhaul that Rolex made on the 14060 is a game changer for the better, the ceramic bezel is quintessential. I gave Rolex the watch, they had to adjust a certain screw and it now runs as accurate as a Swiss watch. The only problem is that I went to the AD next to the workshop and I tried the 36 DJ silver dial with batons, fluted bezel & a jubilee bracelet, absolutely jaw dropping. I realized that when talking about proportions and “not too small” is correct and photos don’t do justice to this jewelry. I wear my sub to work & enjoy it very much. Despite a rough start everything turned O.K.

Datejust 41 TT rose gold & sundust dial: crazy crazy watch. Delicate yet sturdy, classic yet sporty, simple yet sophisticated. Also had to do some wrist adjustment work, no glidelock, no hidden clasp, but what a watch....I love the RG color but didn’t find anything that goes well with it. The rhodium dial was nice but I looked for the sunburst effect and a color that fits the pinkish shade of gold but still not feminine.
The sundust fits there beautifully.
I wear the watch when i’m not at work (the staff already notice every frickin time I flip a watch & I belong to the kind of people that wish they hadn’t). The 41 mm is great and very mainstream in size (nobody will ask if its for girls and you will never stare at other man wrist wondering what if...) but despite the fact that it looks great, it lacks the magical proportions of the 36. I personally feel that this configuration fits the 41 much better. The 36 is more attractive in monochromatic silver color, but that is my opinion.

All in all those are perfect watches for watch lovers that complement each other. The problem is after promising my wife she wont hear a single watch word for the years to come (I suspect she didn’t believe me), I still long for the simple, humble, perfect monochrome 36 datejust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacksh is offline   Reply With Quote