The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 31 October 2023, 02:25 PM   #1
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Chrono24 vs eBay with Authentication

I have seen a specific watch that is being offered on both platforms at the same price.

Is there a benefit to buying it on one platform over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 02:29 PM   #2
Smth Opr
"TRF" Member

I dont trust either fully if im being honest. Any watch that is commonly faked i figure in a service price at a trusted source to verify. Small price to pay for such expensive items imho
Smth Opr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:59 PM   #3
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Ebay authenticates it for you through a very large watchmaker company and gives you your money back if it doesn’t checks out. Chrono24 relies on you to find some local watchmaker and hope he knows what he’s doing. Here’s a video in this exact comparison

https://youtu.be/au_sU3wU36o?si=adHbuCNSPn3El_-F
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:43 PM   #4
Chris B
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth,
I recently bought a 116713 & eBay's Authentication Team discovered that although the watch, paperwork, & RSC service info was ok, sadly the box was a counterfeit.

They then helped to negotiate a partial refund from the (I believe totally unaware) seller.

I’d already done the necessary due diligence regarding the watch’s initial purchase & RSC history etc, but not sure if I’d have picked up the validity of the box during the natural delight of receiving the new watch, so well done to them for that
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 07:36 PM   #5
Xky
"TRF" Member

Chrono24 vs eBay with Authentication

They have quite an extensive discussion about this subject in this video, if I remember correctly they mention that eBay doesn’t open the case back I may have that mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/live/bdmRmJr...igleyWT7xeXZuK

Xky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:19 AM   #6
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

So it may have been answered, but…

What happens under EBAY authentication policy, if after receiving from authentication party (deemed authentic) I discover subsequently that the watch (or parts of the watch) is INAUTHENTIC?

I’ve read the EBAY policy, I’ve also read stories where individuals have discovered problems with a watch and been offered partial refunds. I’ve also read stories where you need to be Johnny-on-the-spot with regard to the EBAY terms of service because if you exceed recovery period by even one day, you’re not going to get any money back. That being said, there’s no way that I’m NOT going to do my own authentication after receiving from EBAY authentication service. If things aren’t 100% authentic I’m probably going to want a FULL refund. Does anyone have any experience with this service?
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:36 AM   #7
JSL121
"TRF" Member

I just bought a watch using eBay's authentication service. After the watch arrived, just to be sure, I brought it to my AD (who I have a good relationship with) and paid to have the watch appraised and authenticated. It turned out to be authentic and for what it's worth, the watchmaker at my AD said all of the watches he has seen from eBay's authentication service have been legit. He seemed to be a big fan of eBay's authentication service.

Now, as a Seller, eBay is more expensive on their seller fees as compared to Chrono24.

eBay Seller Fees:
*15% on total amount of the sale up to $1,000 calculated per item
*6.5% on the portion of the sale over $1,000 up to $7,500 calculated per item
*3% on the portion of the sale over $7,500

Chrono24 Seller Fees:
*6.5% on total amount of the sale

So, in theory, a watch should be cheaper on Chrono24 (rarely/sometimes the case).

The best place to buy/sell IMO is here on TRF, with no fees paid by the Seller and no taxes paid by the Buyer. Plus it feels good to me to buy/sell amongst fellow TRF members.

**With that being said, always buy the Seller. In other words, due your due diligence, look at tips on here for avoiding being scammed, and if something feels "off", then don't buy. It's not worth getting scammed out of 1000's of dollars. I've seen some nightmare stories on here.
JSL121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:41 AM   #8
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xky View Post
They have quite an extensive discussion about this subject in this video, if I remember correctly they mention that eBay doesn’t open the case back I may have that mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/live/bdmRmJr...igleyWT7xeXZuK

eBay used a reputable company for the service. They open the case back.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 02:59 AM   #9
zi464
"TRF" Member

Bought several watches none Rolex from Ebay and Chrono 24 , experience was okay but if I'm looking for Rolex or others like VC , AP I will still buying from those trust sellers on the forum or whoever has tons of feedback
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 04:33 AM   #10
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d never buy on either platform. If things go sour for whatever reason good luck fighting it.
Prefer doing business with a trusted seller even if it means to pay more.
Peace of mind is worth it
Old 1 November 2023, 06:42 AM   #11
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I’d never buy on either platform. If things go sour for whatever reason good luck fighting it.
Prefer doing business with a trusted seller even if it means to pay more.
Peace of mind is worth it
I agree. Spending a little more to get a better risk profile has always been worth it to me.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 08:37 AM   #12
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I bought my Rolex from eBay last year. Very reputable seller and has thousands of feedback, all 100% positive and all sales are Rolex watches. He also has a brick and mortar store in CA, so he gave me a 1 year warranty, which I've had to use twice so far (the date wasn't circulating). He fixed it, no problem and even paid for shipping both ways. They were honest and always kept me in the loop to what was happening. I lucked out with this seller, and I've been very pleased. It's a pre-owned watch, and that's primarily what he sells.
Old 10 November 2023, 05:49 PM   #13
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I think the benefit of both platforms is you get to see the available stock and its location very quickly for thousands of sellers. Personally, I’ve bought a watch I found on eBay but, after finding it, I visited the brick and mortar store to do the transaction in person rather than purchasing on the platform.

On the plus side, a nice discount off the advertised price as the seller saved the fees. On the downside, you need to limit your search to an area you’re willing to visit that has a physical store so takes a bit longer. But hey - looking for the right watch is part of the fun.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 02:51 AM   #14
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

If you decide to buy a pre owned watch online from an individual or a dealer, ebay is probably one of the best these days as long as the watch goes through authentication.

You could buy from a trusted seller and end up with a watch where the dial was swapped in the past, and maybe the seller doesn't even know this. The argument goes all the way up to "buy only from the AD" if you want to be absolutely certain. There are pre owned Rolexes sold by at least one AD I know of where they are Certified Pre Owned.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 05:37 AM   #15
sfwatchfellow
"TRF" Member

Anyone tried BEZEL?

There's now a third player in the seller-->authentication-->buyer category. It's called Bezel.

https://shop.getbezel.com/?utm_sourc...SAAEgI1lfD_BwE

Like the other two, any seller can list a watch and from what I can tell the sellers are mainly, if not entirely, private. You select a watch and buy it. Then the seller sends it to BEZEL for in-house (the others us a third party) authentication. If inauthentic, Bezel doesn't return your money but credits you toward purchase of another listed watch.
sfwatchfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 07:34 PM   #16
acouey252
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL121 View Post
I just bought a watch using eBay's authentication service. After the watch arrived, just to be sure, I brought it to my AD (who I have a good relationship with) and paid to have the watch appraised and authenticated. It turned out to be authentic and for what it's worth, the watchmaker at my AD said all of the watches he has seen from eBay's authentication service have been legit. He seemed to be a big fan of eBay's authentication service.

Now, as a Seller, eBay is more expensive on their seller fees as compared to Chrono24.

eBay Seller Fees:

*15% on total amount of the sale up to $1,000 calculated per item

*6.5% on the portion of the sale over $1,000 up to $7,500 calculated per item

*3% on the portion of the sale over $7,500

Chrono24 Seller Fees:

*6.5% on total amount of the sale

So, in theory, a watch should be cheaper on Chrono24 (rarely/sometimes the case).

The best place to buy/sell IMO is here on TRF, with no fees paid by the Seller and no taxes paid by the Buyer. Plus it feels good to me to buy/sell amongst fellow TRF members.

**With that being said, always buy the Seller. In other words, due your due diligence, look at tips on here for avoiding being scammed, and if something feels "off", then don't buy. It's not worth getting scammed out of 1000's of dollars. I've seen some nightmare stories on here.
Love this take on it! Always buy the seller, no matter the platform. And if there is less taxes for an already taxed item, and less fees to connect people... Even better!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
acouey252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 07:46 PM   #17
Phwtch1
"TRF" Member

I trust the verification process of eBay and will rather make a purchase through eBay.

Sent from my A5_Pro using Tapatalk
Phwtch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 08:28 AM   #18
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
In the past two years, I have bought the following watches on ebay with their authentication service:

VC FiftySix blue dial / bracelet
AP Millenary 4101
MB&F MAD 1 Red
Cartier Santos Large
Zenith Chronomaster Sport
Hermes Acreau

All passed ebay's authentication and all are legit and what they are reported as being.

But, all of them were also bought from very reputable sellers with large online presences outside of ebay.

People here often say, "buy the seller," which is great advice. Much better advice than, "buy the platform."

If you're buying from a large, reputable seller who has presence across multiple platforms, you have the ability to see if that seller has listed the same watch across several platforms (you know that their account on one hasn't been hacked). And, if you're buying through ebay, you have ebay's authentication, you have your PP backing, and your credit card backing. To me, it's a great option.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:36 AM   #19
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

OP here.

So far I have purchased two watches (Panerai 233/JLC Reverso Duo) on eBay using their Authentication Services and am generally happy.

However for my most recent purchase, while tracking the shipment of my watch from the seller to the Authenticator, then from the Authenticator, it appears the watch was at the Authenticator for less than an hour.

Is that enough time to unpack, authenticate, then repack an expensive watch?
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 17 November 2023, 12:35 PM   #20
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
OP here.

So far I have purchased two watches (Panerai 233/JLC Reverso Duo) on eBay using their Authentication Services and am generally happy.

However for my most recent purchase, while tracking the shipment of my watch from the seller to the Authenticator, then from the Authenticator, it appears the watch was at the Authenticator for less than an hour.

Is that enough time to unpack, authenticate, then repack an expensive watch?
What kind of watch? In general, I'd say, yes, a watch can be authenticated in an hour - I've had my watchmaker open a watch, close it, and pressure test it in a very short time.

But, beyond that, there are some watches that you really don't have to open (a watch with a display case back for example) to verify that they're legit and there are some watches that just haven't been knocked off with any quality yet.

If it's a Rolex, it could be a yellow flag. But, there are a lot of watches where it wouldn't bother me at all.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 12:32 AM   #21
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
What kind of watch? In general, I'd say, yes, a watch can be authenticated in an hour - I've had my watchmaker open a watch, close it, and pressure test it in a very short time.

But, beyond that, there are some watches that you really don't have to open (a watch with a display case back for example) to verify that they're legit and there are some watches that just haven't been knocked off with any quality yet.

If it's a Rolex, it could be a yellow flag. But, there are a lot of watches where it wouldn't bother me at all.
It was a JLC. It looks fine but runs a little fast. Comfortable that it is authentic, but would have preferred the watch spent at least a day at the authenticator, Hard to believe they spent the appropriate amount of time with my watch with only an hour between receipt and shipment unless it was the only watch received that day.