The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 June 2021, 04:43 AM   #1
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Titanium PO Deployant

So I had the titanium 9900 45.5mm chrono for years. I was flipping for quite a while. I found one cheaper than what I paid right around when the pandemic started. Made the mistake of selling mine off before buying the other from a trusted seller on here. Of course it sold before I could grab it. That watch was my beach, boating, casual beater. I swear it could handle ANYTHING and looked as good as new when I sold it after three years of aggressive wear! It's one of only a handful of seller's remorse cases I've ever had.

Been looking for a replacement ever since. Also dropped quite a bit of weight in the last 18 months or so. So I was considering the 43.5mm three hander too. Finally landed one from DavidSW last week. This titanium piece I've always preferred the grey strap over the bracelet. I'm the opposite with SS versions. Anyway I got a practically new 2020 43.5 on a bracelet. Off to find a strap. Didn't want the $20 Chinese ones on Etsy, eBay and the like. They don't look right in the pics. I'm sure the quality sucks too. Damn hard to find the grey 21mm rubber strap. It has only been sold with this one reference.

I was pleasantly surprised when I called Swatch N.J. $260 shipped for the strap directly from Omega. The 18mm titanium clasp....$380. Ouch!

I went with a $40 brushed 18mm SS clasp from eBay for now. Neither have come yet. I truly hate the idea of any piece being a knock-off. Has anyone has any experience with these cheaper aftermarket clasps? I'll follow up after I get it all and give my opinion. Just bored while waiting:)
Attached Images
File Type: png OmegaTitanium11.png (288.0 KB, 293 views)
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 06:23 AM   #2
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Will be following as I would like a rubber strap for my SS 43.5 and have seen the cheaper options. Not going to buy oem for $700+, will just keep non bracelet if this is only viable option. There are also some decent looking rubber straps with buckles out there but can’t remember brands now. Also 21 mm is a bit harder to find.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:09 AM   #3
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

SS and anything other than grey/orange + titanium won't run you that much. Off the top of my head I'd guess you'd be under $500 directly from Omega. Do not call an AD. Omega doesn't advertise anything but leather and NATO on their site.

If you give me your colors, I may be able to regurgitate the part numbers because I've done so much research!

Tim
Old 11 June 2021, 01:18 PM   #4
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Black rubber if available but would do black with orange if only option. Would consider for $500ish max but stainless steel if possible.

Edit: is stainless deployment same price as titanium?
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:51 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I like the strap, great colors
Old 12 June 2021, 12:57 AM   #6
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoone View Post
Black rubber if available but would do black with orange if only option. Would consider for $500ish max but stainless steel if possible.

Edit: is stainless deployment same price as titanium?
Titanium is much more expensive. The black/orange trim strap is O032CVZ005306 and $260 shipped (that's an assumption).

If you call 877-839-5224. OPTION #2. Give them the part number and they'll know which 18mm clasp goes with it. Brushed or polished would be your only choices. They'll quote you. FedEx 7-10 days is what I was told.
Old 14 June 2021, 10:23 AM   #7
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Some aftermarket clasp quality is questionable. They feel flimsy when handled. Are you sure you want to risk the clasp-collapsing especially when you mentioned that you used to wear the watch agressively.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 10:12 PM   #8
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Good point. The clasp arrived over the weekend. It looks and feels like SS OEM. Even though it came with spring bars, I have my own that I trust. I won't pass judgement until I get the strap and assemble. Even then, I'll wear it carefully.

I have had dozens of Planet Oceans. The fact that I even bought an aftermarket clasp that has Omega markings on it makes my stomach turn. It's one thing to do something completely unique. It's another to try and pass aftermarket off as original.

I will eventually get the correct part from Omega and make it "right". I record order numbers, supporting documentation and keep all packaging when ordering OEM parts. $380 was just a tough pill to swallow after shelling out $5K for the watch. Especially for a piece I could have had $1K cheaper 18 months ago.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I have the bracelet version. The strap/clasp combo is much easier to acquire than the full titanium bracelet after the fact.
Old 15 June 2021, 10:15 AM   #9
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

So, you have a $9k watch that you added the OEM $260 strap to but don't want to put out the $380 for the OEM titanium deployant? Sometimes I just gotta shake my head. Do yourself a favor, get the Omega deployant, you'll be happier in the long run.
Btw, congrats on the watch, it's on my short list as well.
toolr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:16 AM   #10
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
So, you have a $9k watch that you added the OEM $260 strap to but don't want to put out the $380 for the OEM titanium deployant? Sometimes I just gotta shake my head. Do yourself a favor, get the Omega deployant, you'll be happier in the long run.
Btw, congrats on the watch, it's on my short list as well.
I know, I know. I'm not just being cheap. I want to try it on a SS deployant. If the weight is good, I can get OEM for almost half the cost of titanium. I'm just toying around. I picked up the black and orange strap too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210607_161015.jpg (185.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 17 June 2021, 09:11 AM   #11
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I think the black and orange strap looks better.
toolr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 12:27 AM   #12
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

OK. I have the grey and orange mounted with the $40 clasp. Yanked, twisted and abused it. Seems as good as OEM so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210623_092428.jpg (219.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20210623_092444.jpg (235.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20210623_092457.jpg (244.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 24 June 2021, 12:43 AM   #13
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

The lighting makes the grey and orange brighter. I have fluorescent lights in my office.