The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 24 May 2021, 12:24 AM   #1
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

JLC Reverso Large Duo (and Reverso Duetto Medium)

JLC Reverso Classic Large Duoface Small Second impressions (Model 3848422)

I am not a reviewer, but I since have purchased Reverso over a year ago I thought to share my impressions about this watch. I am not going to mention most of the specifications or its history as they are all easily accessible on JLC’s website and many other reviews/Instagram posts.

Before I purchased Reverso, I considered several square/rectangular shaped watches such as Cartier Tank/Santos, Tiffany Square 2-Hand (limited to 450 pieces), Bulova Tank (Joseph Bulova US only limited series), Hamilton Boulton Mechanical, and Bell and Ross. Why? Because I like having a variety of watches and I felt it would expand my collection of only round-shaped dials.

I liked Tiffany’s dial, but the watch was too small for me (27 mm), Hamilton Boulton was definitely a contender with 80 hour power reserve.

Appeal: The Reverso watch is very well finished and wears comfortably. While many consider this model a dress watch, its utility largely depends on the choice of the leather bracelet. I chose Casa Fagliano brown horween strap as it gave me a more dress down look (the other option was black alligator strap). I also ordered a blue horween strap, which allowed me to mix it up a little bit with outfits. JLC boutique carries light/dark brown, blue and burgundy straps (possibly some new colors now such as green). I wanted to order a black one too, but I will have to do so directly from Casa Fagliano as JLC boutiques do not carry that color.

Winding: The winding of the watch is smooth, but I am equally impressed and enjoy winding of my PAM561 with 8-day power reserve. I also have IWC Portugieser 510202, manual-winding movement with 8-day power reserve, but it is not as smooth and crown often backtracks as I am approaching the second half of the winding/power reserve.

Pros: 2 watches for a price of one, GMT function, Casa Fagliano straps can be removed without any tool as JLC deployment buckle, and a very accurate movement. I found that my Reverso accuracy is approximately + 2 s/6 days if not better.

Cons: 3 ATM water pressure (normal for a dress watch), no hacking second hand movement, no luminous hands/indices on white dial (black side is), may take time to get used to its shape to tell accurate time.

Power Reserve/Accuracy: Hand-winding movement with 42 hours power reserve (my power reserve was 50 hours). Accuracy can be controlled by watch position, crown up slowing the movement, crown down, speeding it up.

Utility: Duoface white dial is dedicated to home time zone while the black dial’s travel time can be used for either GMT or your travel destination time zone. Alternatively, you can adjust the black dial to your home location as well and flip between dials to match your look/mood.

Wearability: I was not looking for a dress watch when shopping for Reverso. I have IWC Portugieser which fulfills these duties. Reverso’s DNA is a sports watch, but given its shape, most of us feel it is a dress watch. I will not wear it to beach or with flip-flops, but it can easily go with blazer/dress shirt/jeans combo or even polo shirt/shorts/driving mocs. Some people wear bespoke suits yet they look like wearing sweatsuits. Hence, it depends on how one presents himself/herself.

Size: Many say it wears small, some say big, but I would caution you here. While the dial is on a smaller side, the watch is big. I have 7.25 inches wrist and this size is my limit. Look in the mirror and see the watch the way other people observe it. You will find it looks bigger than when you look at it directly on your wrist.

Non-hacking movement: I searched high and low and found 2 sites which cautioned when hacking the second hand on my Reverso’s movement. I went to JLC’s boutique and asked the experts. Reversing the hands on Reverso will not stop the second hand (like on Omega’s Moonwatch) and thus the movement, nor it will break the movement. Cautiously tested afterwards and confirmed it. So how do you set the time? Align the minute with second hand to the nearest minute. This method will ensure up to 30 seconds being off of the correct time. The second method is to have the watch deplete its power reserve, once it stops, wait for the current time and start winding the watch circa 4-6 seconds before the current time reaches your stopped second hand. I used both methods, either is fine with me.

Verdict: This watch is a keeper. Probably not 1 watch collection piece, but could be in a 2 watch collection. I essentially got 2 watches (2 dials) and ability to easily change straps from Casa Fagliano with OEM buckle.

Found an interesting article at https://wornandwound.com/norwegian-m...ultre-reverso/ (credit to www.wornandwound.com) about Norwegian heavy metal rocker “rocking” Reverso with modified strap and his logo engraved on the back of the Reverso. Another proof Reverso is a versatile watch.

Pictures include my wife’s Reverso Duetto in Medium, no GMT - both sides show the same time, tested power reserve 48 hours (found some stickers on it and told her to remove them).

As I enjoy changing straps, I purchased (from left to right) blue tropical rubber from Barton, black horween from Atelier del Sur, Casa Fagliano blue, brown (came with the watch), and the last is my wife’s JLC alligator blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLC Reverso.jpg (103.8 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg JLC Reverso 1.jpg (91.0 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg JLC Reverso Straps.jpg (68.9 KB, 307 views)
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 05:04 AM   #2
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Thanks for the fantastic review. I've been on the fence between your 3848422 or a larger Tribute 3958420 and your review nudged me over to the 3848422.

I also have about a 7 1/4" wrist and thought about trying to pull off Tribute but considering I'd wear the Reverso exclusively as my dress / business travel watch, you made me come to my senses as I think it would be better proportioned for those occasions.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 07:44 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Thank you for your review! A Reverso Duo owner.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 08:22 PM   #4
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for your kind comments. I forgot to mention that the strap on my Reverso in pictures is from delugs.com, custom watch strap option Millennium Patina Lagoon with quick release spring bars. I have also custom ordered a pilot strap for my IWC Pilot watch and I was very satisfied with both of them.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:15 PM   #5
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great review. Thanks!