The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2018, 10:21 AM   #1
aduong
"TRF" Member

Chrono24 buyer protection and w47th

Hello all,

How secure and legit is buying on chrono24 with their guaranteed buyer protection? Also I notice many sellers are in NYC w47th Street. Is it better to just go there and purchase the watch instead? Is it safe and any scams?

Thank you
aduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I've purchased stuff before and the seller doesn't get the funds until the tracking number says it was signed for by you. I'm not quite sure what else it does. It does cost about 3% of the transaction fee and if you use your credit card you get buyer protection.

You can probably get a better price by working directly with the seller.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 08:43 PM   #3
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
W47th all grey dealers but I’ve never been robbed or got a fake. There are some pretty big shops I’d feel completely comfortable wiring any amount of money to. But dozens of small booths I’d only do a deal in person. As always buy the seller.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:01 PM   #4
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
I’d rather see the watch I’m purchasing in person.
A friend of mine purchased a 5990 and 5164R through chrono24. Seller was based in Montreal. Instead of both of those watches in the box; he received a fake Gucci bag and a tv bracket lol... he was going to sue chrono, he ended up settling and getting 45K credit at Chrono. He still lost 30K+ or whatever the total was.

With large purchases I wouldn’t take a chance. Go see in person.
SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:45 PM   #5
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan91 View Post
A friend of mine purchased a 5990 and 5164R through chrono24. Seller was based in Montreal. Instead of both of those watches in the box; he received a fake Gucci bag and a tv bracket lol... he was going to sue chrono, he ended up settling and getting 45K credit at Chrono. He still lost 30K+ or whatever the total was.

Was this with or without buyer protection? Was payment via a credit card or another means? Just interested so others can avoid being scammed like that.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #6
OP15
"TRF" Member

When I bought something, they would not release funds from the escrow account until I went on and responded to an inquiry that everything was ok.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Something doesn't make sense in your "friend's" transaction. Any reputable site will refund the full difference and this can be disputed along with the credit card companies. To settle for a portion of the funds and loosing 30K+ on a transaction is unheard of... If I was your friend, I would not settle unless I got my FULL refund.
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 06:10 AM   #8
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

It's better to go to 47th st. and purchase the watch. If you are going to be in NYC and know what watch you are looking for, generally, you will be able to examine a few examples and negotiate a price with each seller. Bargain hard and don't be intimidated. Most of the dealers are very knowledgable about current production watches.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 06:37 AM   #9
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
he was going to sue chrono, he ended up settling and getting 45K credit at Chrono. He still lost 30K+ or whatever the total was.
How on earth is this possible? He lost 30k and did nothing about it?

On what planet is that called ''settling''?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 06:52 AM   #10
turborolex
"TRF" Member

I personally wouldn’t buy from 47 street under any circumstances.

I’ve gotten burned before with a “Frankenstein” Rolex that had aftermarket parts in the movement. When I took it the same day to RSC New York, they said they wouldn’t even service it, so I took it back the same day to the dealer.

It took me a while to get my money back. I was lucky because the person who introduced me to the dealer got involved to get me that refund. Otherwise, I don’t think I would have gotten my money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 October 2018, 08:09 AM   #11
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

So For everyone that’s wondering. My friend found the seller through chrono24. And they did the transaction outside chrono24. The seller told him he’d give him a discount joutside chrono territory and if He wired him the funds. (Not the smartest thing lol. If you’re already spending thousands then do it correctly )

From my understanding Chrono24 is supposed to have their sellers verified. Which is why he got a 45k credit and settled for it.
Old 9 October 2018, 11:42 AM   #12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So For everyone that’s wondering. My friend found the seller through chrono24. And they did the transaction outside chrono24. The seller told him he’d give him a discount joutside chrono territory and if He wired him the funds. (Not the smartest thing lol. If you’re already spending thousands then do it correctly )

From my understanding Chrono24 is supposed to have their sellers verified. Which is why he got a 45k credit and settled for it.
Chrono24 is doing your friend a favor...99% of the time if the purchase was made outside of the reputable websites(Ebay, Amazon, etc), they will not reimburse for loss due to the fact that the sale was done outside of their platform.
The lesson is...DO NOT BUY from sellers claiming to give buyers "discount" and transact outside of the web vendors. It never ends well...
It doesn't matter if the seller had 100% rating and etc, once they are selling outside of the site, the buyer has no recourse. Again, your friend was 'Lucky" to even get the 45k credit!
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:32 PM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
For a Patek , I am buying from an authorized dealer. I am a cautious buyer.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:36 PM   #14
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

1000% lol..
We always tease him..Trying to save $3,000; he ended up losing 30k+...
Old 9 October 2018, 01:21 PM   #15
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
1000% lol..
We always tease him..Trying to save $3,000; he ended up losing 30k+...
Harsh.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:51 AM   #16
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Harsh.
Not that I care, but reading how they joke about 30k I assume it doesn't matter that much in their circles.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote