The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 February 2022, 09:19 AM   #91
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Hard pass. Want to support an independent who creates mechanical art with personality and passion.

You should go for it with others. Am sure an AP will be popular.
Heavy sarcasm on my previous post. Having a bit of fun at the idea VC would do a steel 1921.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 09:53 AM   #92
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Heavy sarcasm on my previous post. Having a bit of fun at the idea VC would do a steel 1921.
Ahhh my bad. Been living on 4 hours of sleep total for the past two days. I'll sleep well this eve, so tomorrow I can start fresh with an all-new day of mistakes and errors.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 10:45 AM   #93
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Gronefeld no longer taking orders

Quote:
What if we contact AP and see if they would do a group buy for a 16202 with red dial?

I keep hoping they make one for hodinkee or just make it. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t seeing as they did the 1955. I’d also like a new dial on the 1955 steel.

This thread is my favorite on TRF right now but it’s wildly off topic lol
Old 1 February 2022, 10:50 AM   #94
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Helps keep the riff-raff out. They just read topic titles and move on :smoking:

Laine manual wind is a great choice... next move is?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 1 February 2022, 11:08 AM   #95
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahhh my bad. Been living on 4 hours of sleep total for the past two days. I'll sleep well this eve, so tomorrow I can start fresh with an all-new day of mistakes and errors.
Haha, I'll take it as a massive compliment to my sarcasm skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I keep hoping they make one for hodinkee or just make it. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t seeing as they did the 1955. I’d also like a new dial on the 1955 steel.

Same man, this is the first thread I check when I open this website now.

I think a steel 1921 makes a ton of sense, but then again what do I know. Personally, I'd kill for a new mercator in 37 or 38mm. The original is one of my favorite watches they've ever made.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 11:12 AM   #96
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

My Muse / wife and i just had a long look at Laine. She's sold on the idea. We want to go 'off menu' on a few items tho, so not sure if what we'd design is possible... unless it is a group buy.

Old 1 February 2022, 11:49 AM   #97
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Folks, AP's not going to do something for a TRF group buy, nor will any Richemont brand.

Trust me on this, we need to stick with independents (and not those like AP who "are independent" but operate as if they are not).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 12:09 PM   #98
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
How about a Datograph in titanium with a jade dial?
Old 1 February 2022, 01:16 PM   #99
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My Muse / wife and i just had a long look at Laine. She's sold on the idea. We want to go 'off menu' on a few items tho, so not sure if what we'd design is possible... unless it is a group buy.
A lot is possible for understandable increases in price.
You can have the Vaucher movement plated in gold. The microrotor can be gold and guillochéd, Different hands are possible, many dials are possible, etc.

The next steps are reconfirming with Laine the minimum number of orders for rose gold cases he needs to make it happen.

There's no need to keep it limited to TRF, either. Once we reach out to Laine, then everyone writes him with "The Rose Gold Case Project" in the title of the email.

This can work because it's just the case metal we're all in on and there are customization options. We don't all have to agree on someone's great idea for a sea foam green dial or an hour hand that looks like a human hand or whatever idea they're hung up on.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:55 PM   #100
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
A lot is possible for understandable increases in price.
You can have the Vaucher movement plated in gold. .
Already planned if we go that way.

Quote:
The microrotor can be gold and guillochéd, Different hands are possible, many dials are possible, etc.
We have a dial idea... think Tuxedo.

Quote:
The next steps are reconfirming with Laine the minimum number of orders for rose gold cases he needs to make it happen. There's no need to keep it limited to TRF, either. Once we reach out to Laine, then everyone writes him with "The Rose Gold Case Project" in the title of the email.
Cool

Quote:
This can work because it's just the case metal we're all in on and there are customization options. We don't all have to agree on someone's great idea for a sea foam green dial or an hour hand that looks like a human hand or whatever idea they're hung up on.
We need more royal purple dials imho, yet that's already in-process from another watchmaker. Ok, lemme do some photoshopping as who needs sleep. Certainly not me LOL.

All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy
All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy
All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Make Steven A Dull Boy

All Work
And No Play
Make Steven A Dull Boy

All Work And No Play
Make Steven A Dull Boy

All Work And No Play Make
Steven A Dull Boy

BTW: It'd be A LOT easier if I had access to their design software. Just sayin'

Old 1 February 2022, 02:24 PM   #101
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Some quick and ugly Pshop.

A = Rose Gold Case

B = Outer track black with RG dropplets

C = Black, with same PATTERN as seen on the blue or ?copper? dial timepiece

D = Center dial white as shown, and has same pattern as outer (C) yet less busy and so reduce the 'pattern overlay' scale by ~50%.

RG Breguet Moon hands
RG Breguet Arabics
Center and seconds dial 'outlines' (the two 'inner' circles) is RG (maybe, this is where I need to see mockups to see if there's too much RG taking over the dial structure / balance for visual harmony).

RG manual wind movement of course. As for the pattern, really need to see their design software, or know what file type is acceptable for their machining (and the part file). Again, it'd be far easier if i had access to their design software.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Old 1 February 2022, 02:43 PM   #102
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

PS: Or this 'outer' pattern... the same RG case and black / white 'tux' color structure, yet this outer pattern around the Arabics, and again go ~50% of scale of the same pattern that was used for the outer for the inner dials. That might actually work better and be less visually busy. Am thinking calm harmony and balance.

Slow flow like the wind... calm ripples on an almost still ocean.

----

Another option is to use the Golden ratio / Fibonacci sequence for the dial patterns. Outer is the busiest (as shown below), then Fibonacci sequence for the less busy inner, and once again a further reduction in pattern busyness Fibonacci sequence for the seconds sub-dial.

-------

Untitled-3.jpg

Old 2 February 2022, 05:04 AM   #103
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What if we contact AP and see if they would do a group buy for a 16202 with red dial?
I’m in!
AuspiciousCat is offline   Reply With Quote