The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2021, 11:19 AM   #91
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I would guess you will hear from the AD in the next 3-6 months to come pick up your watch
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:32 AM   #92
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Maybe she will get it for you or maybe not. Do you have a choice? Not really, other than just waiting it out.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:32 PM   #93
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Unfortunately I’m afraid this comment did you in.

“l made it clear that I don’t want any other watches. I don’t want to buy loads of other models for no reason”.

It’s probably the worst thing you could say.

By doing so, You also made it clear that you are a one and done buyer and selling you a Sub is a waste of resources that could be used on clients with future spend potential.

This is a mistake new buyers seem to continue to make….I’m not sure why?

In these settings you have absolutely no leverage to make “demand” statements such as “I will Not”. “Made it clear”…etc .you just aren’t in a position to do so with this type of product in the current market. So, off into the bin your info goes….
Unfortunately this.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 03:50 PM   #94
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
That is utterly ridiculous. Standard vetting and qualifying of prospects is miles away from anything that could be construed as illegal discrimination.
No, this is utterly ridiculous.
Vetting.
What are the criteria i must supposedly meet in order to be allowed to buy a watch; Shoes correctly polished, no jeans, tie in a proper Windsor knot ?
Should I cover my tattoos ?

Check the suitability of my Smedia to make sure I'm the "right sort" and my Linkedin to see if I'm at least somewhere in upper management ?

Not sure I value a non- essential piece of mid level jewelry higher than my sense of dignity.
Old 21 September 2021, 04:11 PM   #95
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
Maybe you’re right, perhaps I’m letting my frustration get the better of me. I can’t lie, I would love a BLRO as well. I haven’t formally asked her for one yet. I’m too scared in case she thinks I’m some flipper that is only enquiring about the hard to get models. I genuinely like these models of watches. If she successfully gets me a sub, I will ask her if I can get on a list for the BLRO. I’m pleased there are some nice success stories like this. Did you have previous purchase history with your AD?
Zero purchase history.
Old 21 September 2021, 04:12 PM   #96
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sadly you’re just like the millions of other people with no spend history, wanting a steel sports Rolex.

You did (almost) everything right, and sounds like she will get you your sub, but you have to be patient.

However as mentioned, you spelled out that you want one watch only and don’t want to spend on other items, that won’t help you one bit, as ADs prioritise spenders as you would expect.

Keep being patient, and understand that you’re in a sea of other people.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 04:20 PM   #97
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Yeah I won’t contact the SA again for a while. I will wait and see what happens. It’s so bad, I’m now rethinking what I may or may not have said that could affect my chances. This really doesn’t feel like an enjoyable buying experience. Competing for a watch like a job.
I would pay a visit every couple of months to say hi.
You're not applying for a job, it's a watch purchase and you may get it. This very say form is filled for incomings with 0 purchase history.
The wait is part of the experience, in the old days, people used to buy a watch for every achievement, nowadays, getting the watch we like is an achievement by itself
Be patient, keep contact with her.
Old 21 September 2021, 06:11 PM   #98
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
I would guess you will hear from the AD in the next 3-6 months to come pick up your watch
That’s the best I can hope for. Fingers crossed.
Mdotlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 06:22 PM   #99
Nicolamilton
"TRF" Member

That "interview" and silence afterwards may be the most weird situation I've ever heard related to buying a watch.
What will be the next bigger humiliation?
Nicolamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 06:40 PM   #100
Jim
"TRF" Member

It's easier to buy a house than a Rolex, why bother.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 06:40 PM   #101
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolamilton View Post
That "interview" and silence afterwards may be the most weird situation I've ever heard related to buying a watch.
What will be the next bigger humiliation?
Going to pick up the watch and then being told they changed their mind on the day because a bigger VIP needs one urgently? (Hasn’t happened yet as far as I’m aware but who knows?)
Old 21 September 2021, 06:42 PM   #102
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
It's easier to buy a house than a Rolex, why bother.
True. But I don’t know many houses I could buy with £7k haha
Old 21 September 2021, 06:57 PM   #103
doogan
"TRF" Member

It feels like far too much effort and angst is required in order to get the privilege to drop £7k on a watch.

Not sure I could go through that when there are so many amazing watches out there.

Good luck to the Op however.
doogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 07:24 PM   #104
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
True. But I don’t know many houses I could buy with £7k haha
Welcome to the forum buddy.. and welcome to trying to buy new Rolex in the UK.
A new Rolex in the UK is a privilege. If you do get one at RRP you can consider yourself very lucky.

Be aware that WoS, M&W and Goldsmiths are all owned by the same umbrella co. and you can only be on a list at one. If your SA was at one of those, there is no point going to one of the others.

If you want one now, go and see your local grey dealer and begin a relationship there. I can recommend very good one if you are in Scotland. You'll get the watch you want at the market price. Then if your new watch ever does come (good luck with that) then you can sell your used one back to the grey dealer.

Best of luck.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 07:46 PM   #105
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
A new Rolex in the UK is a privilege. If you do get one at RRP you can consider yourself very lucky.

Be aware that WoS, M&W and Goldsmiths are all owned by the same umbrella co. and you can only be on a list at one. If your SA was at one of those, there is no point going to one of the others.

If you want one now, go and see your local grey dealer and begin a relationship there. I can recommend very good one if you are in Scotland. You'll get the watch you want at the market price. Then if your new watch ever does come (good luck with that) then you can sell your used one back to the grey dealer.

Best of luck.
The SS Sub market price increases almost weekly now. It really has gone crazy.
Age has no bearing on price, I just saw one with some really clean complete set Subs from 1990 onwards and they are all £11k plus. The madness continues.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 08:05 PM   #106
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post

Best of luck.
Hello mate, thank you for the welcome. It was indeed a WoS I visited and I am aware of their policy of only being able to register interest in one store. That means out of all THREE companies I can only choose one branch which makes getting the watch even harder. I understand why they do this, but it’s ridiculous at the same time. I’m wondering, if I didn’t get anywhere with this branch, could I ‘de-register’ with this branch and move to another for future interest or am I stuck at this branch for this model if it didn’t work out?

I’d be interested to know which grey dealer you’re referring to. Also, you mentioned how buying a Rolex at RRP is a privilege. Is that for all models? Even the datejusts? Usually they’re the most common ones.
Old 21 September 2021, 08:33 PM   #107
Alboy
"TRF" Member

At the moment in the UK (depending on where you live - the situation is more acute in London and the other major cities) most stainless steel models are difficult to get without some form of purchase history - that includes Datejusts. You could pick up a two-tone Datejust more easily, if that appeals.
Alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 09:45 PM   #108
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello mate, thank you for the welcome. It was indeed a WoS I visited and I am aware of their policy of only being able to register interest in one store. That means out of all THREE companies I can only choose one branch which makes getting the watch even harder. I understand why they do this, but it’s ridiculous at the same time. I’m wondering, if I didn’t get anywhere with this branch, could I ‘de-register’ with this branch and move to another for future interest or am I stuck at this branch for this model if it didn’t work out?

I’d be interested to know which grey dealer you’re referring to. Also, you mentioned how buying a Rolex at RRP is a privilege. Is that for all models? Even the datejusts? Usually they’re the most common ones.
The branch where you registered your interest first is the one that will remain priority. If for example you walk into a Goldsmiths and try and register interest they will see that you have already registered with WOS and refuse.

You can try family owned AD's though, the stock levels are lower but you might get lucky.

Some Datejust models such as the Wimbledon will be difficult to acquire without history. My brother in law is after one and i enquired on his behalf with my AD, he said if he's happy having it in my name i can get it for you in the next few weeks, but 12 months plus if he registers interest himself.
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 09:54 PM   #109
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold&black View Post
The branch where you registered your interest first is the one that will remain priority. If for example you walk into a Goldsmiths and try and register interest they will see that you have already registered with WOS and refuse.

You can try family owned AD's though, the stock levels are lower but you might get lucky.

Some Datejust models such as the Wimbledon will be difficult to acquire without history. My brother in law is after one and i enquired on his behalf with my AD, he said if he's happy having it in my name i can get it for you in the next few weeks, but 12 months plus if he registers interest himself.
Yeah I have approached a few family owned ADs as well.

One I outright refuse to do any business with. They have terrible reviews online and there’s a man who greets you at the door who is quite patronising before you even walk in. That’s what most of their negative reviews relate to. After speaking with their Rolex team, they were not helpful. The SA said outright there’s no space on the list. He also said they only get allocated steel watches based on how many other models they sell. For example, he said if I buy a datejust, I would be closer to getting a steel submariner than someone who didn’t as I have helped them shift their stock. But this still would not be guaranteed. I haven’t contacted them back since and don’t intend to either.

Another local family AD has also said outright that the list for a steel submariner is closed without exception. The SA there did offer to put me on the list for the two tone submariner with a wait time of 1-1.5 years. Perhaps I’ll pay them a visit and get my name down for one of those.
Old 21 September 2021, 10:20 PM   #110
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I am afraid you were played for a fool. Perhaps you noticed me walking in as you left. Your SA guided me back to the VIP room abs started going on about “let me tell you about the fool who just came in here”. We laughed so hard our bellies hurt. Then I collected the 4 submariners they were holding for me, gifts for my house staff. They got the house extra clean and I wanted to reward them.

Ok seriously, who knows. I obtained everything I wanted from 2018-2020 but I’m totally stalled at SS Daytona. I can’t even get my AD to say something like be patient it will happen one day.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:31 PM   #111
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Can you imagine how many email and phone inquiries an AD fields each day and how many of those are just trying to get something to flip ? I'm sure their eyes glaze over each time one comes in inquiring about some hot Rolex model.

I'll predict you get your watch within 6 months. I believe most ADs still appreciate a genuine customer who simply wants a beautiful timepiece to enjoy. They may not expect you to come back and buy loads of other goods from them but a good online review and word of mouth referrals following your experience can also be a good source of future value / revenue for them.
FWIW, I would follow up with a phone call instead of more emails.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:32 PM   #112
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Another local family AD has also said outright that the list for a steel submariner is closed without exception. The SA there did offer to put me on the list for the two tone submariner with a wait time of 1-1.5 years. Perhaps I’ll pay them a visit and get my name down for one of those.
If you like the two tone Subs, get on the list. You never know it make come in sooner than you think
Old 21 September 2021, 10:46 PM   #113
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I am afraid you were played for a fool. Perhaps you noticed me walking in as you left. Your SA guided me back to the VIP room abs started going on about “let me tell you about the fool who just came in here”. We laughed so hard our bellies hurt. Then I collected the 4 submariners they were holding for me, gifts for my house staff. They got the house extra clean and I wanted to reward them.

Ok seriously, who knows. I obtained everything I wanted from 2018-2020 but I’m totally stalled at SS Daytona. I can’t even get my AD to say something like be patient it will happen one day.
Thank you for this, I found this hilarious. Around a year ago I was speaking to an uncle who lives abroad. He is quite high up within a European investment banking firm where he works. He’s not much of a watch person so doesn’t know too much about watches and the grey market. At the time, I didn’t know much about the Daytona situation. I mentioned to this uncle that I would be interested in getting a Rolex soon. He smiled and said he gets discount from the AD in Bahrain as he has a very good relationship with them. I asked, in passing, if he could get a Daytona. He said he would ask.

I got a text a week later from him angrily asking why I didn’t mention the situation with watches and why I asked him to enquire about a watch that’s selling for 3x it’s retail price. I said I had no idea. His reply was “neither did I, I got laughed at down the phone”.
Old 21 September 2021, 11:05 PM   #114
ks58
Banned

Don’t overdue reaching out.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:12 PM   #115
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

They used to say a fool and his money were soon parted. Nowadays fools get to keep their money.
Old 21 September 2021, 11:33 PM   #116
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I’ve seen some late series 5513’s selling for prices similar to new Sub-Date MSRP. Why not buy one of those until the market for new watches cools in a few years?

Or just buy a Tudor? If I was an NHS employee I would think a Tudor would be a better under-the-radar watch than a Rolex anyway.

I would never choose to participate in such a process of acquiring a new Rolex I’d it caused me the degree of angst it is apparently causing the OP. It’s just a watch, nothing more.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #117
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I’ve seen some late series 5513’s selling for prices similar to new Sub-Date MSRP. Why not buy one of those until the market for new watches cools in a few years?

Or just buy a Tudor? If I was an NHS employee I would think a Tudor would be a better under-the-radar watch than a Rolex anyway.

I would never choose to participate in such a process of acquiring a new Rolex I’d it caused me the degree of angst it is apparently causing the OP. It’s just a watch, nothing more.
I agree. Now whenever I act upset with my AD that I’m not getting my next piece, I’m merely acting. I don’t care. If it comes I will pick it up
Old 22 September 2021, 12:54 AM   #118
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post

Great shout re Tudor, the BB 58 in blue is lovely and will build your history with your AD.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:50 AM   #119
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
All piss and hot wind.Why bother acting like a love sick puppy and ass licking the AD.The sub is not a hard watch to get and not that much more expensive from a grey dealer,just pay a few quid extra and have it tomorrow from a grey.End of.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:55 AM   #120
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
All piss and hot wind.Why bother acting like a love sick puppy and ass licking the AD.The sub is not a hard watch to get and not that much more expensive from a grey dealer,just pay a few quid extra and have it tomorrow from a grey.End of.
This is true, but since it’s not that hard to get, he has a decent chance of getting it without waiting too long. If he can get the watch in a few months and resist buying stuff he doesn’t want, why not. Then he may be able to request something else next.

Now if we were talking Daytona, I would say don’t even bother with the AD.