The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2020, 12:01 AM   #1
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Steel Professional
For 16610LV Kermit Experts

Does anybody know if a late D serial 16610LV could have come out of the factory with a Mark 2 dial? And would it have been possible for it to come in the earlier wooden box.

https://www.watchclub.com/curated-by...ry-sub-decoded

According to the above site, the Late D's didn't come with the "D2" dial, as they call it. I don't know how accurate the site is, or if they are missing overlaps and exceptions. Or if there are indeed exceptions.

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm looking at a late D serial, but it has the dial with the more condensed "Oyster Perpetual Date", as in the "D2" dial on the above site.

Hope someone can field this question, and thanks!

Last edited by Austin in Japan; 6 September 2020 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: grammar edit
Austin in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:16 AM   #2
mdx77
"TRF" Member

What a great question. I know there were quite a few variants of the dial early on, I didn’t buy mine until 2008 M Serial. What I do know is the green wooden box was only available for the 2004 models and moved to the green wave box in 2005, just in time for the D serial. It was also the last year for the punched paper certificate, anchor, Rolex Submariner ‘cave diver’ booklet, ‘Your Rolex Oyster’ booklet, calendar card.......And finally, the thing that drove EVERYONE crazy for YEARS, the green holographic sticker on the case back.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #3
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
What a great question. I know there were quite a few variants of the dial early on, I didn’t buy mine until 2008 M Serial. What I do know is the green wooden box was only available for the 2004 models and moved to the green wave box in 2005, just in time for the D serial. It was also the last year for the punched paper certificate, anchor, Rolex Submariner ‘cave diver’ booklet, ‘Your Rolex Oyster’ booklet, calendar card.......And finally, the thing that drove EVERYONE crazy for YEARS, the green holographic sticker on the case back.
Thank you - this one I'm looking at comes with the wooden box, which is really confusing.
Old 6 September 2020, 12:55 AM   #4
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin in Japan View Post
Thank you - this one I'm looking at comes with the wooden box, which is really confusing.

Ok, $1,000,000 question. What is the warranty -> Punched Paper or Card? It’s very easy to buy an original Rolex Wooden Box online and pass it off as original (and should have a 640002 stamped on it, btw), but they never mixed the paper and cards...Paper = Wooden Box; Card = Green Wave. Unless, I’m completely off base and a Rolex AD had a one-off here and gave the customer the wrong box, which is very possible. But I’m very confident they didn’t mix these up from the factory.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:37 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The watchclub website has some very good information there but the dial dating on some of the models is not 100% correct.

First off, the early bezel inserts with the "flat four" found on the Y and early F models are more commonly referred to as the"Flat 4" Anniversary Submariner. Why or where the naming of these models as the "fat 4" came from strange and is not the name used in the collecting world to identify these early anniversary Submariners. "Fat 4s" is a term used to identify some early Submariner inserts found on 1680/5513/5512 models as well as some GMT inserts circa 1970.

There seem to be some discrepancies in identifying what dial goes with each serial number range. In the past, I've noticed that when anyone tries to date a certain dial to a particular run of serial numbers, some collectors will interpret that to be an exact science which it is not. In the case of the anniversary Submariner dials, this is also true and at best, it should be considered a guide.

As an example, I have an NOS, fully stickered D9xxxxx which I purchased from a friend here in Dallas who purchased the watch new from a Rolex AD here in Dallas. The set comes with the later wave box and no anchor. It was originally purchased during May 2006.

According to the watch club website, this D9 serial number should have a D3 or D4 dial - which it does not. The watch has a D2 dial.

Here is link to a thread I put together on the early "flat 4" Submariner models which might help someone regarding a future purchase.

https://www.gmtforum.com/viewtopic.p...282&p=695#p695

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 02:25 AM   #6
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ok, $1,000,000 question. What is the warranty -> Punched Paper or Card? It’s very easy to buy an original Rolex Wooden Box online and pass it off as original (and should have a 640002 stamped on it, btw), but they never mixed the paper and cards...Paper = Wooden Box; Card = Green Wave. Unless, I’m completely off base and a Rolex AD had a one-off here and gave the customer the wrong box, which is very possible. But I’m very confident they didn’t mix these up from the factory.
It has the paper warranty. I'll see it in person in a few days, and will check out the code on the box. Thanks for that - very useful.
Old 6 September 2020, 02:31 AM   #7
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The watchclub website has some very good information there but the dial dating on some of the models is not 100% correct.

First off, the early bezel inserts with the "flat four" found on the Y and early F models are more commonly referred to as the"Flat 4" Anniversary Submariner. Why or where the naming of these models as the "fat 4" came from strange and is not the name used in the collecting world to identify these early anniversary Submariners. "Fat 4s" is a term used to identify some early Submariner inserts found on 1680/5513/5512 models as well as some GMT inserts circa 1970.

There seem to be some discrepancies in identifying what dial goes with each serial number range. In the past, I've noticed that when anyone tries to date a certain dial to a particular run of serial numbers, some collectors will interpret that to be an exact science which it is not. In the case of the anniversary Submariner dials, this is also true and at best, it should be considered a guide.

As an example, I have an NOS, fully stickered D9xxxxx which I purchased from a friend here in Dallas who purchased the watch new from a Rolex AD here in Dallas. The set comes with the later wave box and no anchor. It was originally purchased during May 2006.

According to the watch club website, this D9 serial number should have a D3 or D4 dial - which it does not. The watch has a D2 dial.

Here is link to a thread I put together on the early "flat 4" Submariner models which might help someone regarding a future purchase.

Ah, that answers my question right there. This is a D8 serial, with the D2 dial like yours. OK, it's possible then. I had a feeling the site might have missed some exceptions. Thanks for letting me know!

In researching the Kermit, I found that very resource you linked to and read it earlier. Useful indeed!

Thanks again and take care!
Old 6 September 2020, 04:19 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin in Japan View Post
Ah, that answers my question right there. This is a D8 serial, with the D2 dial like yours. OK, it's possible then. I had a feeling the site might have missed some exceptions. Thanks for letting me know!

In researching the Kermit, I found that very resource you linked to and read it earlier. Useful indeed!

Thanks again and take care!
I believe the watchclub website posted the 16610LV Anniversary article during the infancy of this watch. As the years progressed, other items of interest regarding these watches was observed - some of which appear to contradict or are different than what was originally believed to be correct. It would be nice to see this article on the anniversary 16610LVs corrected or updated.

Also, while the wave box is the most common box for the later D serial numbers, I wouldn't call the wooden box incorrect.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 September 2020, 04:22 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How do you know the wooden box was only used for 2004 models?

Old 6 September 2020, 04:26 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have a different view on your theory regarding boxes and warranty documents.

My D9 serial number set is NOS - mentioned below in another post.

It has the wave box and the USA typed warranty paper - not the credit card version.

Old 6 September 2020, 04:29 AM   #11
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

I am in same boat as Springer -- i have a D89 serial bought directly from a collector friend of mine, came with wave box and no anchor. Also a D2 dial and USA typed papers...
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:29 AM   #12
subluvr
"TRF" Member

Ok this is an old thread but I have a simular question. I'm seeing a 16610LV full set (leatherbox) Flat 4 F serial (don't yet know if it is lower as F54, still waiting for info).

The bezel is B1 but the dial is D3 ?? They say it is very rare, and D3 was put on in combination with B1 in 2005. Is this correct? Can't find this info anywhere.
subluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Should this maybe be in the general forum? Probably get more replies.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:04 AM   #14
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Cool to see Austin here, I have watched a lot of your videos keep it up. Ultimately my opinion is that its a probability game as on chrono24 if memory serves right I have seen Cermaic GMTs with LN insert and the new type of warranty card as 2020 models. I personally have a 16610 LV and it came with a medium size wave box and punched papers dated 2005, and late F serial. Am i sure its all original set? No....but i bought it as such :D
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:04 PM   #15
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Yes, I've enjoyed watching Austin's videos on YouTube too. Always interesting to see what the inventory at watch dealers are like and their asking prices in other jurisdictions. Good to see Austin on TRF.

Also, if the Kermit checks out OK, you should go for it! IMHO, it's the best modern Rolex reference - maxi dial, classic case size, SEL and that green bezel insert. The perfect recipe for a SS sports Rolex.
Old 22 September 2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Hey Austin,

Good to hear your thinking of joining the 16610LV Club, great watch and enjoy wearing it. This is my own from 2006/7

Resize 2.jpg

Love wearing this super comfortable Sub, just about perfect in my eyes.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 08:26 PM   #17
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
One year old tread, Austin prob purchased this by now and maybe even flipped it too ha. I watch his videos also, good to see him as member on here.
Old 22 September 2021, 08:30 PM   #18
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
One year old tread, Austin prob purchased this by now and maybe even flipped it too ha. I watch his videos also, good to see him as member on here.

Your probably correct !

PS I didn't notice the original date of the post ! Doh
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 09:58 PM   #19
subluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subluvr View Post
Ok this is an old thread but I have a simular question. I'm seeing a 16610LV full set (leatherbox) Flat 4 F serial (don't yet know if it is lower as F54, still waiting for info).

The bezel is B1 but the dial is D3 ?? They say it is very rare, and D3 was put on in combination with B1 in 2005. Is this correct? Can't find this info anywhere.
Nobody in here that can help me with the question above?
does this variation exist?
Old 23 September 2021, 09:21 AM   #20
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:

Is this accurate? I'm looking at a 2005 with papers and the green wave box. Would that be original or was this "complete set" pieced together?
Old 23 September 2021, 09:30 AM   #21
spikep
"TRF" Member

Here’s what came with mine. It’s a F serial, one owner. I was fortunate to be offered it. It’s a stunner, I must admit I understand it’s a nice example and I’m not wearing it as much as I would normally given it’s condition
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5B05CDC5-0589-4CCD-91B6-8293754357F1.jpeg (115.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpeg 6D883E11-5F34-4D9D-A976-AEEADC164875.jpeg (74.1 KB, 374 views)
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
spikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 09:07 PM   #22
subluvr
"TRF" Member

Can a F78 have a B1 and D3 combo ?
Old 1 November 2021, 08:18 AM   #23
subluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subluvr View Post
Can a F78 have a B1 and D3 combo ?