The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 September 2021, 09:29 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
YouTube Watch Culture - Thoughts?

There is a recent development that has me concerned about where things are going in the industry and whether we’re all being set up for a fall. It seems that over the past few months, many watch dealers feel the need to post weekly videos on YouTube that purport to show everybody what it’s like to be a watch dealer. By watching a few of these videos, to me it all comes off as sensationalist and and just more “made for social media hype”.

I feel there are always those signs that something is going to structurally change for the worse, and I have an eerie feeling this may be one of those signs. While I respect the hard work most of these guys have exerted to get where they are and be successful, there seems to be this need to sensationalize their job and make it seem like if you’re a watch dealer you are some sort of rock star or pillar of society that everybody wants to tune into and hear from.

It’s tough to put into words, but it all rubs me the wrong way and makes me think we’re absolutely at peak hype.

One of the things I find funny is that while I would never defend the actions of the Timepiece Gentleman, they’re all basically copying what he started. Second, are people really THAT interested in what a watch dealer does in their day to day jobs? I mean, for crying out loud it’s no different than watching a Real Housewives episode in how fake, egotistical, and selfish it all seems. Scrolling through Instagram this weekend with the London Watch Show you’d think being a watch dealer is on par with being a star athlete or movie star.

Anyway, I’m just curious what other forum members think about all of this? I don’t mean to hate on it necessarily - It’s just made me take a moment to think. Or perhaps I’m just being a curmudgeon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2021, 10:16 AM   #2
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
these new "dealers" are absolute clowns. i won't go into details but in a recent dealer drama situation there was a very telling curfuffle (I don't know how to spell that and i'm not looking it up but it's a funny word) over a nearly 6 figure piece. Seller stated the piece as "BNIB", buyer received it, it clearly wasn't as it had lots of hairlines all over it. Furthermore, the package wasn't complete either. Buyer reaches out to tell seller and they had some words. Long story short, buyer went ahead and passed the watch on to an end customer even though seller offered to take it back. So it went to some poor schmuck used and incomplete. Buyer makes a post in said watch arena about negative experience with seller. Meanwhile seller never sent all the items to complete the package even though he's been paid. Seller and cronies ensue with a relentless tirade of ad hominem and curse-laden insults. Many of the people chiming in talking about genitalia, being a man, shaming buyer's income, etc etc etc were some of the "respected" youtube watch dealer types. It was bananas to see.
Old 21 September 2021, 10:57 AM   #3
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I've seen some of the videos and they all appear pretty benign. These types of "day in the life" videos are being posted by people of every walk of life nowadays, not just watch dealers. Of the watch dealer ones I've seen so far, I happen to find Watch Eric quite entertaining.

That said, I agree there's an awful lot of noise and a proliferation of bad content out there. I think we're simply getting ever closer to Andy Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" prediction. The good news is that we can choose to tune it out if we want.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:07 AM   #4
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I've seen some of the videos and they all appear pretty benign. These types of "day in the life" videos are being posted by people of every walk of life nowadays, not just watch dealers. Of the watch dealer ones I've seen so far, I happen to find Watch Eric quite entertaining.

That said, I agree there's an awful lot of noise and a proliferation of bad content out there. I think we're simply getting ever closer to Andy Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" prediction. The good news is that we can choose to tune it out if we want.

Yeah, I agree with your thoughts. Nobody is forcing me, or anybody, to watch. I’m mostly curious what other WIS’s think about it.

And I agree on Watch Eric. I have always enjoyed his reviews and other content, but he’s done a few of the “day in the life” videos and its made me want to say “Please don’t turn into these others”. Same with Roman Sharf. He used to have great content and now it seems like he’s trying to produce a show or some sort of celebrity following. To me, it’s no different than the asshats wanting to teach me how to invest in watches…

Old 21 September 2021, 05:49 PM   #5
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
I’ve thought about this recently, and perhaps it’s just me, but the more I follow these watch dealers, the less interest I have in the watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Yeah, I agree with your thoughts. Nobody is forcing me, or anybody, to watch. I’m mostly curious what other WIS’s think about it.

And I agree on Watch Eric. I have always enjoyed his reviews and other content, but he’s done a few of the “day in the life” videos and its made me want to say “Please don’t turn into these others”. Same with Roman Sharf. He used to have great content and now it seems like he’s trying to produce a show or some sort of celebrity following. To me, it’s no different than the asshats wanting to teach me how to invest in watches…

Oh my God, those watch investment guys make me want to sell all my watches and never look back.

Old 21 September 2021, 06:12 PM   #7
Brew
"TRF" Member

YouTube Watch Culture - Thoughts?

I can’t watch that stuff; can’t take it seriously. They are all so busy humping one and other’s channels, trying to build up each other’s social media credibility. The watches are completely secondary, if that.

Luxury watches (or anything for that matter) from some dude in a tee-shirt and a kid’s backpack? Hard pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 07:23 PM   #8
webble1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
[QUOTE=chiscott_29;11713940]

………..”Same with Roman Sharf. He used to have great content and now it seems like he’s trying to produce a show or some sort of celebrity following. To me, it’s no different than the asshats wanting to teach me how to invest in watches…”

Agree. Whilst I view Roman’s new content I do wish he would mix it up a bit and do more of the old stuff he used to do which was much more about the watches, the history of brands, etc
webble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 08:03 PM   #9
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I can’t watch that stuff; can’t take it seriously. They are all so busy humping one and other’s channels, trying to build up each other’s social media credibility. The watches are completely secondary, if that.

Luxury watches (or anything for that matter) from some dude in a tee-shirt and a kid’s backpack? Hard pass.

Random Rob is the worst. He just unboxes other people's stuff, says "oh my god it's beautiful" and moves on. He has no actual knowledge to add.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 08:12 PM   #10
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
It seems like a whole pile of them came out of nowhere. Almost too much at once.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:11 PM   #11
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I don’t mind these shows as background noise, but yes a good number of them are a little over the top. Glad Fed hasn’t went far down this path and that we can count on Tim to keep it academic!

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:45 PM   #12
Dr. Hips
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I've watched a few episodes of the TPG videos. I love how hard they try to get the viewers to give a #$% about the people who work there. Almost never any info on the watches other than how much or look how many i have. That and loads of click bait titles.

Tim Mosso's vids on the other hand. Entertaining and informative.
Old 21 September 2021, 11:46 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
these new "dealers" are absolute clowns. i
So I have heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
I’ve thought about this recently, and perhaps it’s just me, but the more I follow these watch dealers, the less interest I have in the watches.

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
Oh my God, those watch investment guys make me want to sell all my watches and never look back.

I am nearly there, I think about this weekly

Quote:

Well that is the point, hype a product. They don't care about the product just the clicks for ad dollars.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:56 PM   #14
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a door knob
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:45 AM   #15
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Nico went from crying humble tears from almost being out of business, too flying in private planes, and sexually harrassing Romans videographer while pretending to hump himself on a couch.

Its embarrassing for sure....

People are prasing the people sucking the life out of the industry. Im baffled, but not surprised.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:38 AM   #16
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
I switched to Tim Mosso's WatchBox studios. I feel I learn something new on any given episode.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:03 AM   #17
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asloper6001 View Post
Nico went from crying humble tears from almost being out of business, too flying in private planes, and sexually harrassing Romans videographer while pretending to hump himself on a couch.

Its embarrassing for sure....

People are prasing the people sucking the life out of the industry. Im baffled, but not surprised.

I wouldn’t buy water in a desert from Nico. That guy is the definition of a tool and he is EXACTLY why I cringe sometimes when I think about where this hobby/industry is going. What a colossal d-bag and why dealers have bad reputations.

I just don’t get why smart businessmen like Roman seem to be following this path. It is not going to end well for them, and there’s zero need to do it. All you do is tarnish your good name to be associated with that junk.

I’ve been trying to find content that is educational and actually based in the love of watches. Agree on Tim Mosso. Federico is also pretty good although sometimes his rants are a bit much. I also have enjoyed content from David Khalil.

Old 22 September 2021, 02:21 AM   #18
Atone
"TRF" Member

The interesting thing to me is the “new” high end watch clientele. Who are? Who is watching this stuff and spending $450k on a RM that honestly resembles some of my 80’s swatches? (No offense if you own a RM, only if it’s a “Swatchy” one)
Old 22 September 2021, 02:31 AM   #19
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
The interesting thing to me is the “new” high end watch clientele. Who are? Who is watching this stuff and spending $450k on a RM that honestly resembles some of my 80’s swatches? (No offense if you own a RM, only if it’s a “Swatchy” one)
Crypto players and the younger generation have definitely moved the needle. The younger generation also idolizes these non-watch YouTubers that are at the top (check out "Stevewilldoit" if you want a wtf moment even more). It makes sense these grey dealers now feel they are them with 1/1000th of their subs.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:35 AM   #20
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
I wouldn’t buy water in a desert from Nico. That guy is the definition of a tool and he is EXACTLY why I cringe sometimes when I think about where this hobby/industry is going. What a colossal d-bag and why dealers have bad reputations.

I just don’t get why smart businessmen like Roman seem to be following this path. It is not going to end well for them, and there’s zero need to do it. All you do is tarnish your good name to be associated with that junk.

I’ve been trying to find content that is educational and actually based in the love of watches. Agree on Tim Mosso. Federico is also pretty good although sometimes his rants are a bit much. I also have enjoyed content from David Khalil.

I agree. I would rather pay a higher price to purchase from Tony(Just Rolexes) or DavidSW, or Patrick (OC Rolex) then that guy. The saying is more and more valid every day: Buy the seller. My personal opinion is some of these clowns, ESPECIALLY timepiecegentledivas, is that they are auditioning and trying to get a reality show about the watch industry; I wouldn’t watch that either.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:37 AM   #21
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asloper6001 View Post
Crypto players and the younger generation have definitely moved the needle. The younger generation also idolizes these non-watch YouTubers that are at the top (check out "Stevewilldoit" if you want a wtf moment even more). It makes sense these grey dealers now feel they are them with 1/1000th of their subs.
I can’t see anything. Are my eyes bleeding? I can’t see.

(Made it through 2.5 min of Steve). Wow.
Old 22 September 2021, 03:32 AM   #22
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
IMO watches are the new luxury cars. Especially with society's eventual move to autonomous cars, people (especially the newer generations) need a way to "flash cash."

Watch brands are being touted in a lot of today's mainstream pop music in the same vein as the typical brands like Ferrari and Benz, so I'd assume these YouTubers are targeting the same demographic as those recording studios, using the same type of "reality tv" template that's been overdone with those who sell high-end cars, houses/mansions, and shoes
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:43 AM   #23
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes, but its not just them. Its the age we live in. More and more are investing more and more in virtual life and creating a "persona" that they can cultivate. Its almost as if one is not really alive now if they are not being viewed, clicked on, liked, etc. they are not alive.

Its self-fulfilling because its also feeds the fake scarcity nonsense which feeds their own pocket and romanticizes things. And one kind of has to right, most dont need watches here any more or dont use their watches as tools as we did in the 80's and 90's. That said, it does help to see the watch in more detail and in different lighting so that's something. But yes, the hype is really off putting and almost makes it embarrassing to wear my Sub these days.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:35 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I only watch music on utube.

Everything else is noise.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:38 AM   #25
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

I concur
Old 22 September 2021, 06:10 AM   #26
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Perhaps the TPG scandal is the canary in the coal mine. I’m expecting more desperate and reckless behavior due to this promise of Money AND FAME.

Federicos recent rant calling people schmucks for buying Rolex (over retail) from him was very arrogant. He subsequently apologized, but I noticed I’ve been avoiding his content.

Old 22 September 2021, 06:15 AM   #27
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I agree. I would rather pay a higher price to purchase from Tony(Just Rolexes) or DavidSW, or Patrick (OC Rolex) then that guy. The saying is more and more valid every day: Buy the seller. My personal opinion is some of these clowns, ESPECIALLY timepiecegentledivas, is that they are auditioning and trying to get a reality show about the watch industry; I wouldn’t watch that either.

Could you imagine a non-educational “Keeping up with the Kardashians” type show about watch dealing? That would be painful..

Old 22 September 2021, 07:21 AM   #28
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

Prof. Susskind’s free Stanford lectures are pretty excellent. I think.

Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:26 AM   #29
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Prof. Susskind’s free Stanford lectures are pretty excellent. I think.

Yeah I’m sure there is lots of good stuff. Ted Talks, etc. I get into the rabbit hole on music vids and stay there for days.

I just stay away from lifestyle posers and media whore types. Inane noise.
Old 23 September 2021, 11:25 PM   #30
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Aside from a brief viewing of part of some video that someone here recommended (it was trash, BTW) I just say no. I don't watch this fake reality crap, be it on TeeVee or YouTube.

I don't understand people who don't value their time more, and watch this garbage.

Now, there are people I've noticed at work, most of them millennials, who will have a video running as they work. So I guess it's background noise, or they can multitask better than I can.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote