The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #1
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Musicians Actors etc

I see a lot of musicians, actors, actresses, sports stars wearing Patek.

More noticeable some artists like John Mayer, Drake, Ed Sheeran all wearing the new green 5711 one being the Tiffany and the other two diamond variants.

Do you think they have relationships with chosen boutique or are so big that they can call in the favour and the profile of themselves help the brand somewhat.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
John Mayer and Ed Sheeran have spent crazy money on non steel sports for years, so I guess it's not just celebrity status getting them their pieces.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #3
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
John Mayer and Ed Sheeran have spent crazy money on non steel sports for years, so I guess it's not just celebrity status getting them their pieces.
Valid but I'm sure there are many people who have been buying pateks for decades but haven't got the deep pockets of some of these celebs?
Old 22 September 2021, 12:33 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I understand some of these sports stars buy from grey dealers too. Saw a few episodes in YouTube where grey dealers help them get watches. Maybe the premium is not a big factor for them, such that they can afford to get any watch without a wait?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:13 AM   #5
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Celebrity factor goes a long way, its a huge advertisement for companies.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:31 AM   #6
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I understand some of these sports stars buy from grey dealers too. Saw a few episodes in YouTube where grey dealers help them get watches. Maybe the premium is not a big factor for them, such that they can afford to get any watch without a wait?
I think a lot of celebs and pro athletes that are just getting into watches get straight from grey dealers. Just saw an episode of Watch Eric where an NBA athlete bought a ceramic AP RO Chrono/tourbillon from him as his first high end watch.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #7
scurfa
"TRF" Member

A lot of U.K. comedians buy Pateks and have been long before the current madness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 September 2021, 02:52 AM   #8
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Its all about buying power (spending) and relationships.
You don't need to be "famous" to buy them :)
Old 22 September 2021, 02:54 AM   #9
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
I had an AP salesperson in Beverly Hills tell me “I have trouble getting pieces for my celebrity clients. It’s unlikely that’ll I’ll be able to get one for you.”

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:30 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumOceanLawyer View Post
I had an AP salesperson in Beverly Hills tell me “I have trouble getting pieces for my celebrity clients. It’s unlikely that’ll I’ll be able to get one for you.”

sounds like real talk to me. I always wonder if you take all celebs including international soccer stars, cricket and a bunch of other sports not to mention musicians and actors (all with deep pockets) and then think about the production number of some of these pieces per year which is like 10-50 pieces for complicated pieces. I doubt that there will ever be a time in the near future where I will ever get the call.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:33 AM   #11
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
sounds like real talk to me. I always wonder if you take all celebs including international soccer stars, cricket and a bunch of other sports not to mention musicians and actors (all with deep pockets) and then think about the production number of some of these pieces per year which is like 10-50 pieces for complicated pieces. I doubt that there will ever be a time in the near future where I will ever get the call.

He told me “your best bet is to just leave 20 grand with me and if one comes around that I don’t have to give to one of them, I’ll let you know”

Old 22 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He told me “your best bet is to just leave 20 grand with me and if one comes around that I don’t have to give to one of them, I’ll let you know”

lol so a deposit with no delivery date or promise
Old 22 September 2021, 03:43 AM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
lol so a deposit with no delivery date or promise
I don't believe the money was intended as a deposit.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:40 AM   #14
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I don't believe the money was intended as a deposit.

That’s Westime for you.

Old 22 September 2021, 05:05 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They would be getting them from grey dealers with whom they have relationships, in fact I know London and Manchester dealers who were selling to footballers before the hype started, those guys back then still wanted a bargain and a discount off of retail. I was offered Robbie Savage's old Rolex once, I think the grey thought this was a plus point!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:33 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s Westime for you.

didn't know we are already talking str8 bribery
Old 22 September 2021, 06:53 AM   #17
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquemr View Post
its all about buying power (spending) and relationships.

+1
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 09:22 AM   #18
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Its all about buying power (spending) and relationships.
Agreed..and I would also add passion for the brand as well!
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:24 PM   #19
wcs2229
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, Tag
Celebs know people who have all the right connections.
wcs2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:11 PM   #20
Emery
"TRF" Member

Just read on Hodinkee today some musician bought a Nautilus from a reseller which turned out to be a fake, so I guess not all of them play the relationship game with the manufacture.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 08:27 PM   #21
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good point! And you left out all the newly minted IPO millionaires, in all forms including SPACs, plus Bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) millionaires all of whom have money raining down on their heads. Throw in the trillions of $s created in the latest stock market rally since Covid began, all of which went to the average person, of course, and you're painting a grim picture for watch availability.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 10:28 PM   #22
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Good point! And you left out all the newly minted IPO millionaires, in all forms including SPACs, plus Bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) millionaires all of whom have money raining down on their heads. Throw in the trillions of $s created in the latest stock market rally since Covid began, all of which went to the average person, of course, and you're painting a grim picture for watch availability.
Thats all well and good these people have money to burn but does Patek have the ethos to whoever has the deepest pockets gets the product. Does loyalty not stand for anything, it weren't too long ago Patek was giving out discount to move sports let alone the other pieces.
Never forget your roots
Old 23 September 2021, 02:00 AM   #23
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Celebrity status definitely helps, for example Jonh Mayer and Mark Wahlberg got their Tiffany stamped directly from Tiffany. Also, even if you are not a celebrity, but a long time client with years of purchase history, that also helps. I've talked to several Patek ADs who received multiple allocations of the olive green 5711, and all confirmed they went to long time, generational clients who've shopped at the store for many years, and spend multi millions with them. So either you are a VVVIP, celebrity, or close friend with the owners - that's how you get watches like 5711s.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:06 AM   #24
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Celebrity status definitely helps, for example Jonh Mayer and Mark Wahlberg got their Tiffany stamped directly from Tiffany. Also, even if you are not a celebrity, but a long time client with years of purchase history, that also helps. I've talked to several Patek ADs who received multiple allocations of the olive green 5711, and all confirmed they went to long time, generational clients who've shopped at the store for many years, and spend multi millions with them. So either you are a VVVIP, celebrity, or close friend with the owners - that's how you get watches like 5711s.

Patek specified an extensive collection before a 5711 green could of been supplied, Being a small buyer with only a few Patek’s I’m now moving on, the books and old catalog collection, trips to Geneva, shows including the 2015 grand exhibition have proven enjoyable but utterly pointless, being a Patek fan and enthusiast today unless your a billionaire is a complete waste of time.

Old 23 September 2021, 06:02 AM   #25
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Thats all well and good these people have money to burn but does Patek have the ethos to whoever has the deepest pockets gets the product. Does loyalty not stand for anything, it weren't too long ago Patek was giving out discount to move sports let alone the other pieces.
Never forget your roots

It also wasn’t too long ago that a lot of folk on here were buying from grey dealers instead of ADs because it was cheaper. Two sides to every story.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 06:34 AM   #26
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
It also wasn’t too long ago that a lot of folk on here were buying from grey dealers instead of ADs because it was cheaper. Two sides to every story.

I am talking about the loyal folk who bought from the AD and not the grey. They were here long before me but big spend seems to be priority with majority of brands these days rather than true watch lovers some of which were here before these crazy times.