The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #1
Mike I
2024 Pledge Member

Warranty on Grey Purchase

Will RSC provide warranty service on grey purchase?
Mike I is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:45 AM   #2
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Warranty follows the watch
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:16 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post
Many, especially here, confuse a Grey Market watch with the secondary/used market.

Few true Grey Market watches have a valid warranty as they were never sold to a retail consumer before finding their way to a non-AD Dealer.

Almost all secondary market watches have a remaining warranty because they were originally sold to a consumer. They are used watches, even if never worn.
Old 22 September 2021, 04:44 AM   #4
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I would say to clarify what's previously written you could have two different types of transactions. First, An unworn watch that was sold by the original retail customer to a reseller. This watch has the balance of the Rolex warranty and the warranty period was initiated by the AD when the watch was first purchased at a Rolex AD. This would be the same if I sold my used watch to you whether I wore the watch or not, the factory warranty period started the day I bought the watch. This is different from a new watch sold by a retailer who we could call "Gray", who then offers their own warranty on the watch. Which means you have a warranty through the gray dealer not Rolex. Where these watches come from, I don't know. If you buy from a true gray dealer find out who has the warranty card, and who will honor the warranty, Rolex or the gray dealer, and how long is this warranty period, and will you be given the original warranty card for your set. It may be helpful to tell us who is the seller you are considering to purchase from and maybe someone here could be more specific.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:49 AM   #5
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
And away we go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown 6.33.17 PM.jpeg (6.8 KB, 428 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:11 AM   #6
aayates
"TRF" Member

I just wish watches were available via AD's.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:16 AM   #7
Mike I
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks, I was just curious. I only buy from my AD.
Old 22 September 2021, 06:55 AM   #8
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, I was just curious. I only buy from my AD.
Well aren't you special.
The rest of us are just too stupid to have thought of that.
Thanks for educating us.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:57 AM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
I just wish watches were available via AD's.
Do not understand this Rolex strategy. Omega, Cartier, Breitling, etc. make nice watches.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:58 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

If you have the warranty card and Rolex does not know that the watch has previously been opened outside of their presence, then yes it has warranty. You may have an issue in NY with a warranty card filled out abroad.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:59 AM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
You spelled too incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Well aren't you special.
The rest of us are just to stupid to have thought of that.
Thanks for educating us.
Just sayin.’
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:40 AM   #12
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
And away we go...
Lol !!
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:42 AM   #13
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Just sayin.’
Two stoopid
Old 22 September 2021, 08:34 AM   #14
Mike I
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well aren't you special.
Thanks for educating us.
Not special, just lucky. Curious about warranty on watches purchased from grey dealer. Wanted to thank those who replied to my post. Not implying anything. No wish to offend anyone. Don’t understand why what I said prompted your insult.
Old 22 September 2021, 10:53 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Well aren't you special.
Thanks for educating us.
Don't be rude. Last warning.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:33 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Rolex guarantees the proper functioning of its watches for a period of five years from the date of purchase. The Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse. The substitution of components with, or the addition of, components or accessories not manufactured by Rolex will invalidate the guarantee. The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.”

Based on this, it can be interpreted that the warranty is only valid when the watch is sold by an Official Rolex Retailer (Official AD). A grey market seller is not an AD, any used watch seller is not an AD. Any private seller on say eBay is not an AD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:31 AM   #17
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
My interpretation of this is if you buy genuinely used but present with an issue within warranty you’re fine. Provided card, registration and all sound.

If you buy BNIB from a grey best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 06:32 AM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Warranty on Grey Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
If you buy BNIB from a grey best of luck.
As others have said - secondary market dealers are not “grey market” sellers per se. When they obtain Rolexes from an AD, they have the warranty activated in someone’s name so you won’t have a problem. This helps protect their reputation as trusted sellers.

To be a true grey market watch, it wouldn’t come from a retail AD. Instead, someone in the intermediary distributor’s supply chain would be misdirecting product outside the AD channel. This could also involve exporting watches beyond the distributor’s home country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 08:18 AM   #19
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
I would say to clarify what's previously written you could have two different types of transactions. First, An unworn watch that was sold by the original retail customer to a reseller. This watch has the balance of the Rolex warranty and the warranty period was initiated by the AD when the watch was first purchased at a Rolex AD. This would be the same if I sold my used watch to you whether I wore the watch or not, the factory warranty period started the day I bought the watch. This is different from a new watch sold by a retailer who we could call "Gray", who then offers their own warranty on the watch. Which means you have a warranty through the gray dealer not Rolex. Where these watches come from, I don't know. If you buy from a true gray dealer find out who has the warranty card, and who will honor the warranty, Rolex or the gray dealer, and how long is this warranty period, and will you be given the original warranty card for your set. It may be helpful to tell us who is the seller you are considering to purchase from and maybe someone here could be more specific.
What happens is that many gray sellers have the empty Rolex card with no name. The buyer puts his name on it and there is the Rolex guarantee. At least I guess that.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 08:28 AM   #20
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex guarantees the proper functioning of its watches for a period of five years from the date of purchase. The Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse. The substitution of components with, or the addition of, components or accessories not manufactured by Rolex will invalidate the guarantee. The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.”

Based on this, it can be interpreted that the warranty is only valid when the watch is sold by an Official Rolex Retailer (Official AD). A grey market seller is not an AD, any used watch seller is not an AD. Any private seller on say eBay is not an AD.
I have read that the new Rolex warranty from 2018 Juio watches has a 5 year warranty and is transferable.
In any case, I agree with points 1 2 and 3 but a private individual who respected those points I suppose that he has the right to transfer it.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote