The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 September 2021, 01:55 AM   #1
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
For Exhibition Only

The curse of ‘For Exhibition Only’ reaches Mappin and Webb in Bluewater, Kent.

Approaching the store I could see that the display had improved dramatically from my last walk past earlier in the week.

When I looked more closely the display was impressive but alongside each one was the little ‘FEO’ sign.

Display 1 (pictured) DJ’s and YM’s

Display 2 TT DJ’s and TT GMT

Display 3 TT White dial Daytona and TT DJ’s

I didn’t go in store but there were lots of people sitting at the desks and a good few stood outside looking at the display, so maybe the improved display has brought people in.

I had a brief chat outside with a young man about his DJ and he enquired about my Submariner, he wasn’t planning on buying but was shocked to see the display so full until he saw the signs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhibition Only-1.jpg (137.6 KB, 1682 views)

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:17 AM   #2
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Not set to 10:10....wonder if these are functional models ?
Old 11 September 2021, 02:25 AM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Probably are real watches.

They have the exhibition ones safely put away in the safe.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:59 AM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Are these "real Rolex steel-cased" items? Are they real watches or imitations?
Does anyone know?
If they are real Rolex cases, it is an asinine waste when they could be making real watches with those cases instead of display items.
(Or are they display units being manufactured by some other company?)
And a potential consumer will likely never get the 'real' item anyway, what with the current craziness.
Sort of a cruel taunt, IMHO. This all makes me scratch my head.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:05 AM   #5
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

It does look a lot better, great for window shopping and thats all.... disappointing for people when they go in and say what one they would like and get told no chance.
Old 11 September 2021, 03:12 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Does anyone know?
If they are real Rolex cases, it is an asinine waste when they could be making real watches with those cases instead of display items.
And a potential consumer will likely never get the 'real' item anyway, what with the current craziness.

You think they’re using fake watches? Of course they’re real. For the 10:10 exhibition models, the movement is removed/augmented presumably to save money since the watch won’t be used.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:16 AM   #7
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Knew this would happen eventually, I've also been there recently and there were only 5 for-sale watches on display (non-professional ladies).

Once more people realise most watches are for exhibition only, I'm not sure the store will remain busy (in terms of foot traffic).
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:32 AM   #8
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
Probably are real watches.

They have the exhibition ones safely put away in the safe.
They're all showing the same time.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:33 AM   #9
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watches were running, the second hands were ticking on all the watches, sorry I should have said.

The time on the watches is the time I took the picture 12:38, doh really should have mentioned that.

Old 11 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #10
karleone
"TRF" Member

These are real watches. Dummies are without moment and set at 28 10:10:31.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 04:50 AM   #11
Mini2
"TRF" Member

My understanding these watches are not for sale however lucky clients will when they try them on be offered to purchase them. If you check back in 4/6 days the windows will change not because they are switching the stock and changing the display but because they are selling the product. WOS would not have stock on balance sheets they are not selling because shareholders would be in uproar IMO
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 05:03 AM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
My understanding these watches are not for sale however lucky clients will when they try them on be offered to purchase them. If you check back in 4/6 days the windows will change not because they are switching the stock and changing the display but because they are selling the product. WOS would not have stock on balance sheets they are not selling because shareholders would be in uproar IMO
I have a meeting with my SA next week to try on a few watches, chat over coffee etc. If the watches are still there I’ll let you know, if I can get any other info I’ll pass it on.

Old 11 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #13
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Think I'll put a sign on my checkbook/credit card the next time I go into an AD - "FOR EXHIBITION ONLY"
Old 17 September 2021, 03:09 AM   #14
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Had a chat with my SA today and managed to try on a JC DSSD and a standard Sea Dweller which are part of the ‘exhibition only’ stock the store has.

Now, none of this would have been possible if the store didn’t have the exhibition only watches. Yes, I know that for some people the watches should be readily available at all times but for now and the foreseeable future the AD’s are not going to have a stock that we can walk in to try and buy, so it is what it is.

For me these ‘exhibition only’ watches are a godsend, seeing the JC and SD today was the first time I had seen either of the watches in real life and had the opportunity to try them on.

The JC is awesome, such a stunning watch, but far too big and heavy for me, I can see why people love this watch and make it their daily driver, sadly I won’t be one of the them as the watch and I did not gel.

The standard Sea Dweller however is just brilliant, love it and have asked for one, I gather I have to wait a while, haha . I have read about the fit being difficult due to the shape of the case back but thankfully I had no issues, the watch fitted really well on my wrist and looked great. So I have, as mentioned, asked my SA to get me one s soon as they can.

Without having these ‘exhibition only’ watches I would not have been able to try these watches on and been able to decide that the Sea Dweller is worth getting and will partner my Submariner nicely.

My SA did say that the ‘exhibition only’ watches has been a mixed blessing, some people like me think it’s great, however some customers have been very angry that the watches cannot be sold and have vented their frustration accordingly.

Me, I’m a fan of ‘exhibition only’ watches.

Old 17 September 2021, 03:17 AM   #15
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Does anyone know?

A local AD explained this to me. The way this works is, the AD must maintain a certain number of items for display, real items that will be sold eventually, but before they are, they are for display. And then, after a few weeks, they get rotated with another model from the next shipment and some lucky customer gets to pay full retail for something that has been fondled by all to whom it was displayed. Not ideal but would you turn down “the call” on that basis when the alternative is buying a grey watch that has passed through even more hands?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 03:27 AM   #16
planemad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Had a chat with my SA today and managed to try on a JC DSSD and a standard Sea Dweller which are part of the ‘exhibition only’ stock the store has.

Now, none of this would have been possible if the store didn’t have the exhibition only watches. Yes, I know that for some people the watches should be readily available at all times but for now and the foreseeable future the AD’s are not going to have a stock that we can walk in to try and buy, so it is what it is.

For me these ‘exhibition only’ watches are a godsend, seeing the JC and SD today was the first time I had seen either of the watches in real life and had the opportunity to try them on.

The JC is awesome, such a stunning watch, but far too big and heavy for me, I can see why people love this watch and make it their daily driver, sadly I won’t be one of the them as the watch and I did not gel.

The standard Sea Dweller however is just brilliant, love it and have asked for one, I gather I have to wait a while, haha . I have read about the fit being difficult due to the shape of the case back but thankfully I had no issues, the watch fitted really well on my wrist and looked great. So I have, as mentioned, asked my SA to get me one s soon as they can.

Without having these ‘exhibition only’ watches I would not have been able to try these watches on and been able to decide that the Sea Dweller is worth getting and will partner my Submariner nicely.

My SA did say that the ‘exhibition only’ watches has been a mixed blessing, some people like me think it’s great, however some customers have been very angry that the watches cannot be sold and have vented their frustration accordingly.

Make sure you remove the dive extension makes the piece much more comfortable to wear. (Just a tip).
planemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 03:41 AM   #17
dharoon7860
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The same at my local AD in Chelmsford. All working and have printed codes on the side to show they are exhibition only. I enjoyed trying a few on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dharoon7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 04:25 AM   #18
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
A local AD explained this to me. The way this works is, the AD must maintain a certain number of items for display, real items that will be sold eventually, but before they are, they are for display. And then, after a few weeks, they get rotated with another model from the next shipment and some lucky customer gets to pay full retail for something that has been fondled by all to whom it was displayed. Not ideal but would you turn down “the call” on that basis when the alternative is buying a grey watch that has passed through even more hands?
Pretty much what I was told last week when I visited my local AD.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 05:01 AM   #19
GaoKS
"TRF" Member

Visited the 5th Ave Boutique in NYC a couple weeks ago and they had the same thing. The lady behind the counter did not seem pleased when I asked to try on the BLNR - assumingly due to the overwhelming amount of times she must have to say no everyday.
GaoKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 05:38 AM   #20
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
Make sure you remove the dive extension makes the piece much more comfortable to wear. (Just a tip).
Thanks, the watch was very comfortable whilst I was wearing it in the shop but that was only about 5 minutes so worth bearing in mind.

Old 17 September 2021, 06:33 AM   #21
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Thanks, the watch was very comfortable whilst I was wearing it in the shop but that was only about 5 minutes so worth bearing in mind.

It depends if you have a flat wrist. I have a flat wrist, and thus I kept my diver’s extension. Most comfortable watch I have, and I’m glad it’s on since it’s part of the watch (even if I’ll never have to use it).

I kept mine
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 07:09 AM   #22
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
It depends if you have a flat wrist. I have a flat wrist, and thus I kept my diver’s extension. Most comfortable watch I have, and I’m glad it’s on since it’s part of the watch (even if I’ll never have to use it).

I kept mine
As mentioned the watch was very comfortable but I only had it on for a short period, I’ll try with the extension first then if necessary without. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 17 September 2021, 10:19 AM   #23
eijiboy
Banned

For Exhibition Only

I almost pulled my wallet out and all of sudden the small green sign.

eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:25 PM   #24
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Heard at an AD. I’ve been to this AD in Houston a few times, and every time I go I remember why I don’t go.

The SA was bragging on the AD owner, that he had put his own personal money into these watches so he could have some that people could try on. She said I could go anywhere in the world and not see this many watches in any AD, he was the only one doing it. In the ENTIRE world. I told her I knew she was full of it, nicely, and Rolex was making them do this, she stood by her story, even in front of the Rolex made signage saying they are for display only. She passed me off to the owner who ended up admitting, with out saying so directly, that he has to have stock that’s not for sale. I don’t know what the SA thinks she has to gain by outright lying about this, and such a stupid lie. Why would any AD buy a bunch of watches and intentionally not sell them unless made to. Her response to that question is he can do it because he’s very wealthy. I’ve said this twice before, I’ll never go back there.

To answer the questions above, they are real watches. They told me they’d sell one in the case when they receive another of the exact same model. They had a good collection, blue SkyD, SD43, DSSD, a couple OP41’s, 2 BLRO, one gold one SS, a white dial Daytona, and other high demand models.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:40 PM   #25
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
They're all showing the same time.

Ah, no they are not showing the exact same time!
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:49 PM   #26
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
It should just say, “suckers!”
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 01:14 PM   #27
Dufresne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post

A local AD told me the magic number is 22. The 23rd piece can be sold.

Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:44 PM   #28
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a meeting with my SA next week to try on a few watches, chat over coffee etc. If the watches are still there I’ll let you know, if I can get any other info I’ll pass it on.

Any luck
Old 21 September 2021, 10:46 PM   #29
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I should of read the thread
Old 21 September 2021, 10:57 PM   #30
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
I should of read the thread
should have
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote