The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2021, 01:33 PM   #61
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

The guy who wears the sub doesn’t care about the size, so why should others? Some like bigger watches, others smaller, some wear tighter, some looser, some like sport watches, others prefer dressier pieces. Just because some have opinion for certain “codes”, why the others need to fit into that criteria?
liberalclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 01:47 PM   #62
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I don’t like the new green bezel nor the blue bezel WG. Both watches seem to me like Rolex didn’t know what to do next after discontinuing the previous iterations.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 02:08 PM   #63
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
I still have the 116610LV and it looks de facto great in real life, but may disappoint in the showroom. Fortunately, I wear my watches outside the showroom...

What a shot! So clean and crisp.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 03:15 PM   #64
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Yep, pretty pointless and sounds like haterade. Let people live.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 03:19 PM   #65
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
What was akward? That he didn't want to engage in a Rolex circle jerk? Let the fellow enjoy his quarter pounder in peace as you judge him from across the playscape, secretly admiring his green bezel and date function.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 04:19 PM   #66
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I don’t like the new green bezel nor the blue bezel WG. Both watches seem to me like Rolex didn’t know what to do next after discontinuing the previous iterations.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I love the Smurf, but the blue bezel w/the black dial on the new WG Sub sticks out like a sore thumb. Same thing (for me) with the green; I like (not love) the Hulk, but the green bezel on the black dial of the Kermit also sticks out like a sore thumb. Not my aesthetic, but evidently it speaks to many.

TLDR: I don't like the look either, but the people who buy them wear & enjoy them & don't (or shouldn't) care about my taste.

p.s. Awesome avatar, inadeje
Old 18 September 2021, 04:21 PM   #67
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Kind of a pointless post but I thought I'd share it here since my GF doesn't care to hear it.
Oh, and OP, I think a lot of us share here for the same reason!
Old 18 September 2021, 05:09 PM   #68
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
…he didn't want to engage in a Rolex circle jerk?
Haha, that would be a great tag line for TRF
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 05:33 PM   #69
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Haha, that would be a great tag line for TRF
It certainly feels that way a lot of times. I was actually going to use that phrase in some of the threads
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:05 PM   #70
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Had mine on in Knightsbridge today OP. Hope it’s working for you, I did put on a green Lyle and Scott T shirt to go with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watch looks GREAT on you !
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:09 PM   #71
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
This ceramic Kermit/Starbucks goes great with a simple outfit like jeans and a dark tshirt. The watch acts as your piece of “flare” if you will. If you’re someone who wears bright flashy outfits, it’s going to compete too much with the green. That’s my 2 cents.

Oh and it looks best out of direct sunlight in my opinion.

Exhibit a: cloudy day…

Exhibit b: sunny day

lookin at these pics is making me want one. lol
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:30 PM   #72
cowtipp3r
"TRF" Member

He’s just getting his macros in to beef up for the 41LV. Enjoy your McDonald’s mate
cowtipp3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:31 PM   #73
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC2 View Post
watch looks GREAT on you !

Thanks. I love it.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:22 PM   #74
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
From a whole do body perspective, many of these ‘too large’ watches turn out to be in fact, not too large.

It depends on more than wrist size, which obviously is not seen from a wrist shot.

Yes, but my personal definition of too large (my opinion only, people can do whatever they want) is not the forum favorite " no overhang".

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:46 PM   #75
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Totally agree
Matt,,,, so you had the “ look” from your other half,,,,
I get that same “ look” on a regular basis ,,
Have you had the dismissive attitude also? lol,,,
if no then don’t worry it’s in the wind,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 09:50 PM   #76
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
I don't usually spot many SS professional models where I'm located in Canada, but just a moment ago I did spot a guy in McDonalds wearing the new Kermit.

I'm not sure what it was but something about the situation felt cringe. There I was with my Sub 114060 and there he was with his Kermit both knowing very well how difficult they are to obtain and the amount of time put in to acquire them or inflated grey prices paid. It felt like Rolex played us with their marketing scheme.

The kermit looked overly large on the gentlemen's wrist and the fact that the bezel was ceramic green was just so obvious that it was a Kermit, it's almost like he chose a watch that didn't suit him just to fit in with the crowd.

It made me wonder if I look silly sometimes also wearing my Sub, it's hard to tell because I cant judge my aesthetic from a third person view, but I feel that the black Sub probably blends in a little better.

Kind of a pointless post but I thought I'd share it here since my GF doesn't care to hear it.
I know what you mean. The first time I saw a BLNR in the wild it was on the light rail and a scrawny guy with tiny wrists was wearing it and it just looked so garish and out of place on his wrist. It was like a 2 year old wearing a giant oversized blue toy watch. It was bright blue and black as the sun was hitting it directly. It was the first thing you noticed on the guy. It literally made me look down at my Explorer and start to question everything lol

But then I remembered it’s my Rolex and I love it and I’m sure BLNR guy loves his. That’s all that matters
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 10:11 PM   #77
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
But then I remembered it’s my Rolex and I love it and I’m sure BLNR guy loves his. That’s all that matters
Amen!

JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 10:53 PM   #78
key
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
The guy who wears the sub doesn’t care about the size, so why should others? Some like bigger watches, others smaller, some wear tighter, some looser, some like sport watches, others prefer dressier pieces. Just because some have opinion for certain “codes”, why the others need to fit into that criteria?
This.

What if he’s also an enthusiast, just like you, who just happens to like watches that wear bigger on him?
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 11:09 PM   #79
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
If that’s your photo I’d guess a sub suits you well. You look like a good size human, and that’s who subs fit best.
And as for 3rd person, I like to look at myself in a full body mirror, cause your right, looking at your wrist normally is a different perspective.
Ps, your gf missed out on a good conversation about watches then! Her loss! Lol
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 11:16 PM   #80
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what it was but something about the situation felt cringe. There I was with my Sub 114060 and there he was with his Kermit both knowing very well how difficult they are to obtain and the amount of time put in to acquire them or inflated grey prices paid. It felt like Rolex played us with their marketing scheme.

The kermit looked overly large on the gentlemen's wrist and the fact that the bezel was ceramic green was just so obvious that it was a Kermit, it's almost like he chose a watch that didn't suit him just to fit in with the crowd.

It made me wonder if I look silly sometimes also wearing my Sub, it's hard to tell because I cant judge my aesthetic from a third person view, but I feel that the black Sub probably blends in a little better.

Maybe it's where I live and work, I seldom see nice watches. On most occasions when I see someone sporting a Rolex, or any nice watch that I recognize I genuinely feel excited and happy for them - probably because I know very well the joy of acquiring a piece we want.

As much as I understand where you're coming from, it also cringes me a bit the way you pass judgement onto the other guy. How would you feel if the guy comes up here and posted about how he spotted you wearing a plain, bland blackSubmariner that wears too small, and that his 126610LV stands out more, is more special and such?
Old 18 September 2021, 11:53 PM   #81
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
I guess it's best to go after a watch that suits you, not just get on the list for the green bezel just because "it's harder to get". If the watch does suit you then go for it but at the end of the day if it doesn't then it can very well look out of place, no matter how difficult to obtain or high its value.
Who’s going to tell you what watch best suits you?
Old 19 September 2021, 12:09 AM   #82
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I know what you mean. The first time I saw a BLNR in the wild it was on the light rail and a scrawny guy with tiny wrists was wearing it and it just looked so garish and out of place on his wrist. It was like a 2 year old wearing a giant oversized blue toy watch. It was bright blue and black as the sun was hitting it directly. It was the first thing you noticed on the guy. It literally made me look down at my Explorer and start to question everything lol

Agree with this 100%!

IMO I would say 60-80% of wrist shots I see here are of watches that are too big for the wrist. Too many buy for “hype” and not for what looks best on them. Your last sentence says it all though.
Old 19 September 2021, 12:44 AM   #83
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol, you just summed up 75% of the posts on every watch forum on the internet.

You do bring up an interesting point about sizing and fitting the wearer though. I see SO many wrist shots posted where I immediately think "omg that watch looks comically oversized" and it actually makes me feel bad. If you are 5'5" you can get smaller pants, smaller shoes, smaller coats. But they just don't make a 34mm Submariner, so you are kind of out of luck, forever. But then I wonder, are there so many of those poorly fitting pictures floating around that this actually becomes the fitment people think looks proper? Like the guy you saw, is he looking down at his wrist thinking "yep, looks huge just like all the pics I saw on reddit - success!". I mean, people buy 47mm Panerai and 51mm Nixons, so clearly what I might call "way too big" is actually a selling point for some segment of the market.

But in any case, I wouldn't let that cast doubt on your own watch. Wear what you like, FTW ;)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:48 AM   #84
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Our own heads can be a scary place. I can't imagine the hyper awareness and cringe being elsewhere in that McDonald's. At least, not the Rolex cringe. Sometimes we have to step back and take Rolex off the pedestal to get on with our day...

Quote:
I don't usually spot many SS professional models where I'm located in Canada, but just a moment ago I did spot a guy in McDonalds wearing the new Kermit.

whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #85
IR201
"TRF" Member

OP, I normally align with your thoughts but this one is an exception.

I get seeing the new Kermit and thinking it looks big on someone.

What I don't get is you deciding you know the motivations of a guy you glanced at in McDonald's?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:59 AM   #86
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
All that matters is what the wearer thinks and how they feel. I wear my pieces for myself. And no one ever notices; or comments.

I’ve had pieces that did not feel right or sing to me; and they moved out. This one stays.

Old 19 September 2021, 03:02 AM   #87
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
He may have just wanted a Sub different than his other black Subs already owned. I don't think anyone is getting convinced by Rolex to go LV for the trendiness. It's not more trendy than a black LN. The real Hulk is a different story though. I do find it interesting that you thought the watch looked awkward on him though. I also doubt the wearer cares what you think. I also find it interesting that you thought it was an awkward interaction. I would've just said nice watch and flashed him mine in return. I'm sure he has an interest in watches considering.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:05 AM   #88
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
OP, I normally align with your thoughts but this one is an exception.

I get seeing the new Kermit and thinking it looks big on someone.

What I don't get is you deciding you know the motivations of a guy you glanced at in McDonald's?
I’m sure the guy is totally in love with it, no doubt about that. It was just the vibe I picked up front the situation it was weird.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:23 AM   #89
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Lol, you just summed up 75% of the posts on every watch forum on the internet.

You do bring up an interesting point about sizing and fitting the wearer though. I see SO many wrist shots posted where I immediately think "omg that watch looks comically oversized" and it actually makes me feel bad. If you are 5'5" you can get smaller pants, smaller shoes, smaller coats. But they just don't make a 34mm Submariner, so you are kind of out of luck, forever. But then I wonder, are there so many of those poorly fitting pictures floating around that this actually becomes the fitment people think looks proper? Like the guy you saw, is he looking down at his wrist thinking "yep, looks huge just like all the pics I saw on reddit - success!". I mean, people buy 47mm Panerai and 51mm Nixons, so clearly what I might call "way too big" is actually a selling point for some segment of the market.

But in any case, I wouldn't let that cast doubt on your own watch. Wear what you like, FTW ;)
This sums it perfectly actually, but I think one should know if the watch will fit them or not, if not then it’s just too bad and another watch model should be on their radar. Trying to force wear the Sub if it doesn’t fit apparently looks ridiculous, change up the watch model or even brand if needed.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:42 AM   #90
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Well I certainly don´t feel I look silly wearing my old 14060, and nor should you I reckon, Matt! Black dial Subs are pretty inconspicuous and do blend in most of the time, imho, and after all there are so many Sub copies/homages out there it takes a sharp-eyed expert to distinguish a genuine Rolex black dial Sub even at close distance. Now a green or blue dial Sub´s another matter, but personally I've never quite taken to them. Black dial for me!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cermit , cringe , kermit , submariner