The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2021, 11:51 PM   #31
watchmakers4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
If the difference of a few thousand dollars puts this watch out of your ability to afford it then frankly you probably can’t
Disagree.

If someone can save multiple thousands of dollars by shopping around a bit more or waiting a bit longer in lieu of going gray, I certainly think it makes financial sense to do so (unless you're a millionaire many times over). This of course applies for reasonably "accessible" pieces such as the black Sub being discussed here. If OP was looking to celebrate his 30th with a blue Sky Dweller, then that is a different story.
watchmakers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 11:51 PM   #32
bibbi
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how it will go on with your Sub.

But one thing is certain for me - you were misguided when choosing your job. You should be a reporter or a writer instead of working for NHS!
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 11:51 PM   #33
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Maximizing lifetime customer value is such marketing BS. How many watches does someone even need.

I'm still amazed how people are able to spend 100k to 1 million and more at a single AD. Even at Patek you would soon be done and own the whole catalogue.
Please sir, help me get this deal where my 100-1M gets me the entire patek catalog, especially if in one go!

To OP, based on your reply, maybe I would suggest a different tack and convey those points instead. Namely the planned jewelry purchases, the loyalty over years. The fact you are young and discretionary income levels rise does not need to be stated, since most managers are savvy enough to spread the pot over established VIP's and seeding future VIP's.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 11:53 PM   #34
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Maximizing lifetime customer value is such marketing BS. How many watches does someone even need.

I'm still amazed how people are able to spend 100k to 1 million and more at a single AD. Even at Patek you would soon be done and own the whole catalogue.
Plenty of people buy plenty of watches.

The Submariner is an extremely high demand watch that the AD needs to have on offer for high spend, repeat clients. ‘Wasting” one on a transient transaction could potentially cost the AD alotta money down the road.

This is just simply how it is.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 11:59 PM   #35
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
This all seems very legitimate. I would refrain though from emailing them so often. I tried to do it less than once per month, and even that often I feel like I’m being a bit of a nuisance. I think once in a while is good just to keep you in their minds, but too often you will be a nuisance.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:00 AM   #36
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
If the difference of a few thousand dollars puts this watch out of your ability to afford it then frankly you probably can’t. From the AD’s perspective that also makes you much more likely to flip that watch for a quick buck. I think the SA was very nice to spend the time she did with you, but realistically you’re probably not getting this watch from them.
I understand your point of view but it’s not really a ‘few’ thousand though is it? The retail on this watch is £7.3k I think. The grey market in U.K. is selling the new 41mm sub date at £12k. It’s not that I couldn’t but why do I want to? That difference of £5k is significant to me. If the difference on the grey market was £1-2k then it would be a different story. I could probably squeeze a datejust for 5-6k and then ask to be put on the list but I don’t want to do that.
Mdotlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:11 AM   #37
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Unfortunately I’m afraid this comment did you in.

“l made it clear that I don’t want any other watches. I don’t want to buy loads of other models for no reason”.

It’s probably the worst thing you could say.

By doing so, You also made it clear that you are a one and done buyer and selling you a Sub is a waste of resources that could be used on clients with future spend potential.

This is a mistake new buyers seem to continue to make….I’m not sure why?

In these settings you have absolutely no leverage to make “demand” statements such as “I will Not”. “Made it clear”…etc .you just aren’t in a position to do so with this type of product in the current market. So, off into the bin your info goes….
I understand where you’re coming from, but I feel I’m damned if I do damned if I don’t. If I say I’m not interested in other models, then I can see why I wouldn’t be seen as an attractive customer. Equally, if I said I love loads of different models then the SA might push me to buy those models first which I don’t want to do. Cannot win.
Old 21 September 2021, 12:20 AM   #38
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
I don’t know how it will go on with your Sub.

But one thing is certain for me - you were misguided when choosing your job. You should be a reporter or a writer instead of working for NHS!
I honestly didn’t think this post was well written at all. Thank you very much!
Old 21 September 2021, 12:34 AM   #39
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Please sir, help me get this deal where my 100-1M gets me the entire patek catalog, especially if in one go!
You know I'm talking about the watches that are actually in the shop, not the piece unique and grand complications. Most are 50-70k per watch, I think you could buy a lot with 1 million every year and Patek won't be fast enough to release new ones.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:45 AM   #40
Trek360
"TRF" Member

OP, nice post and do hope you get the sub one day. All anyone here can do is speculate as to what the AD will do for you. Even with decent spend history these days you still may not get what you want. My take is that the SA was genuine, probably receives many emails, and has nothing to offer you now and not wanting to encourage more email. All you can do is wait and see.

It’s good you have a solid idea of what you want and are willing to spend. If you have any flexibility to that, I would consider getting your watch grey. If the AD comes thru down the line, you can do what you want with it. I’m saying this primarily because you have made it clear at this point you only want one watch and you have some celebratory events now. All the best!
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:47 AM   #41
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I'd be annoyed if I was waiting on my sub and they let it be handled.

Not sure of the protocol, but mine was sealed in the coffin when the sales rep brought it out.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:53 AM   #42
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
I understand where you’re coming from, but I feel I’m damned if I do damned if I don’t. If I say I’m not interested in other models, then I can see why I wouldn’t be seen as an attractive customer. Equally, if I said I love loads of different models then the SA might push me to buy those models first which I don’t want to do. Cannot win.
It’s a tough spot to be in.

If you don’t want to buy pre owned or grey market, then you may have to pull back until the market potentially resets to a point where availability is easier. But I can’t see that happening in foreseeable future.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:54 AM   #43
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek360 View Post
OP, nice post and do hope you get the sub one day. All anyone here can do is speculate as to what the AD will do for you. Even with decent spend history these days you still may not get what you want. My take is that the SA was genuine, probably receives many emails, and has nothing to offer you now and not wanting to encourage more email. All you can do is wait and see.

It’s good you have a solid idea of what you want and are willing to spend. If you have any flexibility to that, I would consider getting your watch grey. If the AD comes thru down the line, you can do what you want with it. I’m saying this primarily because you have made it clear at this point you only want one watch and you have some celebratory events now. All the best!
Yeah I have considered grey but I don’t want to. I want to build a relationship with an AD because, as I said in previous posts, this wouldn’t be my last purchase but it is probably my only purchase for the time being. My issue with grey market is the price. The extra £5k+ that’s being asked for I can’t justify. If the difference was £1-2k I think the decision would be significantly easier. I just feel, at this point in time, that extra £5k, on top of the £7k this watch would cost at retail, is better placed elsewhere for me. I just googled the 41mm sub date, found one grey seller listing it for £14k. The gap between retail and grey is just too large.

Thank you for your insight
Old 21 September 2021, 12:55 AM   #44
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
I'd be annoyed if I was waiting on my sub and they let it be handled.

Not sure of the protocol, but mine was sealed in the coffin when the sales rep brought it out.
That doesn't mean anything. I have tried on multiple "already sold" watches that were removed and put back into the shipping coffin.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 12:56 AM   #45
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
Hello everyone,

My first post here. Before everyone sighs at the sight of another submariner thread, this one may be slightly different. Just looking for some insight. It’s a bit of a long read but I hope you will all take the time to read. Thank you:

I am from U.K. and recently popped in to an AD to enquire about a black submariner date. As usual, most ADs I have contacted by email or telephone have not been helpful. They have either told me about needing purchase history, no list existing, helping them shift stock in order to obtain steel watch stock, 5-10 year waiting lists. The usual rubbish

However, one AD contacted me back and said they could put me on a list. They mentioned about how the wait list could be long but they would be happy to add me on and perform a formal registration. This AD operates by appointment only at the moment, possibly due to demand for Rolex and also because of COVID. I was emailing the SA trying to organise a meeting. Initially, her replies were slow and I then suggested a zoom meeting. She kept missing all my emails but was very apologetic each time. In the end I managed to get an appointment and I went in store. I was taken to a private room and sat down with the SA.

From the start, the SA was so polite and lovely. Compared to all the other dealers I spoke to, she actually spoke to me with respect and didn’t scoff or patronise. She asked for my details, put them on the computer and we engaged in general chit chat. My parents were with me at the time, we moved the conversation away from watches and began talking about other things. Few laughs here and there and I felt like we were building a rapport. She did mention as well that she would get me to answer some questions about why I should be considered for the watch. She said it’s all about building my profile of why they should sell to me. The answers to the questions could help give a reason of why they could allocate me a watch over everyone else on the list. Felt like an interview for a job than an enquiry for a watch.

I made it clear that I don’t want any other watches. I don’t want to buy loads of other models for no reason. I told her this is my first Rolex, a gift to myself as a result of hard work over COVID (I work for the NHS). I don’t have any purchase history with this AD or any AD for that matter. I’m not in the privileged position I can just drop 10-15k on watches to get a good reputation. £7.5k is affordable for me, 12-15k on grey market is not. I would of course looks to increase my watch collection but right now it’s not viable for me to buy loads of expensive watches or jewellery. I mentioned this to the SA and she seemed to respond positively. I also told her how she had been the nicest SA I have spoken to. I also mentioned how the other dealers used to tell me about previous purchase history, 5-10 year waiting lists and she said that was all bs. I was shocked, I’ve never heard an AD refute that before. She said that previous purchase history helps and is essential for some models due to demand but not necessary. She also said that a 5-10 year wait time on a black submariner date is ridiculous. She said it may take time to get and she can’t get me a time frame, but it shouldn’t be as long as that. I mentioned the green bezel Kermit, but she did say that previous purchase history was recommended for that particular model. Seems that she is making the right noises so far. She seemed more open and receptive than other SAs at other ADs.

Out of the blue she starts typing on her iPad and says “We have one in stock. It’s currently reserved for another client so I cannot sell it to you but I can show you so you can try it on and see for yourself”. Around 5 minutes later she brings out the watch of my dreams and allows me to hold and try it on (she disappeared for quite a while so not sure if she needed authorisation to bring the watch out). I was so happy. I’ve never seen one in real life before. She did, however, change her story. She said this isn’t for a client. She said that this branch is stocking models for people to look at and try on but they won’t be for sale. Not sure if that’s true but it’s different to what she said about it being reserved.

Anyway, I fondled the watch for a good 20 minutes. She took the watch back. Said registration was complete (she showed me her screen which showed that I was on her database). She also said she would email me over some questions to help build my profile of why I should get the watch. She said if I could send those questions back to her, then that would help. She mentioned she was busy and it may take a few days but I should receive an email from her latest on Tuesday (I visited the store on a Sunday). And this is where it fell apart.

I emailed her the following day thanking her for all her help and for letting me try on the watch. I also mentioned I look forward to receiving the questions. I received no email. Around a week later I sent another reminder email just to follow up. Still no reply. Radio silent. This SA has often missed or been slow to reply to my emails even at the initial enquiry email I sent, but she always replied. Now, nothing. Did I get played for a fool? I’ve been added to the list but was there no extra questions to answer at all? Did I get mugged off? I think maybe I should call the store and see if I can get her on the phone. But man, I’m legit chasing this SA for a watch like I’m chasing a job. If she didn’t consider me a serious candidate, why bother to grab the in-stock submariner and allow me to look at it. Why waste her time? Like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey…

She sounded like she was genuine about me possibly getting one, but not so sure now. Other ADs have outright told me no, the list has been closed etc. What can I do? I now see the frustration all other genuine buyers have. Anyone had any similar experiences? Should I call to chase the SA? Should I even bother chasing or am I fighting a losing fight? This is the only AD I have been into to sit down with.

I look forward to hearing some thoughts.

MdotLife
So basically, the AD put you on a list.........sounds like everyone else's story.......sorry if I'm cynical.........
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:02 AM   #46
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Did the AD play me for a fool? - Submariner Waiting List

Quote:
Yeah I have considered grey but I don’t want to. I want to build a relationship with an AD because, as I said in previous posts, this wouldn’t be my last purchase but it is probably my only purchase for the time being. My issue with grey market is the price. The extra £5k+ that’s being asked for I can’t justify. If the difference was £1-2k I think the decision would be significantly easier. I just feel, at this point in time, that extra £5k, on top of the £7k this watch would cost at retail, is better placed elsewhere for me. I just googled the 41mm sub date, found one grey seller listing it for £14k. The gap between retail and grey is just too large.

And so you would understand why an AD would not simply sell a sub to any first time walk in, which you know includes yourself.

That’s always the tricky part the relationship building. A good relationship is a two way street, where good faith action is required from both parties.

If you are sure it wouldn’t be your last purchase, you may want to ask her to let you know if something that might interest you comes in.

Plenty of haters are going to tell you how ‘stupid’ it is to compromise simply because they can’t see things from any perspective other than their own.

You never know it might end up being something you really enjoy and this happens a lot.

Or they might just be more inclined to deliver you your sub. Keep an open mind.

ADs really do try to accommodate customers, but it is obvious they can’t for all those who only want those few references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:03 AM   #47
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I wish I could hold your hand and take you back in time with me to what my AD experiences were like when I was looking for my 30th birthday. It was back in 2002 and I had already been casually window shopping and looking at subs since high school, being a huge James bond fan. In the '90s I wasn't in a position to do anything, so I would just stop in and look at the cases, but the SAs were still really friendly with me. They were happy to show me watches and just talk, and they were actually selling the product. I told them I wasn't ready to buy and they said no problem, they still offered to show me watches and they hoped that when I was ready, I would come back to them for the purchase. Back then it was a big deal to help someone get their first Rolex.

In 2002, I was ready to celebrate my 30th. The ADs were so friendly and they would literally open up a big felt pad and take the whole case out for you to try on with no expectation. I didn't end up buying anything and I regret it. Even up to around 2012 the prices and overall experience was still the same as it was before. "Oooh, you want to buy a Rolex? Come with me. What would you like to try on?" They were just happy that you came in and they were hoping you would buy from them.

It's hard going from that to today's experience, but I am fortunate that I am working with a great family owned AD that quietly thinks this current market is ridiculous and when I stop in and talk with my SAs we reminisce together on how things were while we talk watches and get the pre-owned pieces out to enjoy together. The last time I was in we were both looking at and talking about the 1665 double red seadweller they have and the 6536 small crown sub and sharing bits and pieces of what we know about their history while we were each trying it on and enjoying it. It was fun. The double red is listed at $146,000 and he just got it out for me like it was nothing. The 6536 is $50K and I could have worn it the whole time I was there if I wanted.

My round about point is you just need to build rapport with the right person. Once that happens, the doors open and then you get through all of this barrier. You become serious in their eyes and trustworthy. My SAs know I am building my collection to enjoy for life and pass down to my boys. They want to be a part of that with me and they know I am not a flipper. I bought my wife her first Rolex from them for Mother's Day and they know I am serious, so now it's just the waiting game for inventory. I stop in periodically when I am in the area to talk watches, look at the preowned case, and pick up issues of the Rolex Magazine.

Good luck. Stick with her and be patient. Go in person. I think this might work out for you in the end.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:06 AM   #48
stap
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
A. Breathe and try not to over analyze. It’s hard, I know.

B. Assume positive intent. Trust your instincts based on your interaction with her in person.

I have been working with two ADs in the Midwest US. One of whom I have a relationship with. Asked after a Sub Date and was told by the manager, six months no problem.

Drove 3 hours to visit other AD and was told Sub was quite a wait and had I thought about an SD43? It would be much easier to get vs a Sub. They had one in the vault I could try on and I fell in love. Got my name on the list: might happen in 2022. (Also bought a pair of earrings for my wife)

Went back to my original AD and asked about the 43, he said 3-5 year wait because they produce so few of them compared to Sub Date. These dealers are three hours away from one another and I found it really interesting to hear the different perspectives.

I sent thank you notes to the SA at the new AD and will periodically touch base with them. Current AD hooked me up with box seats to a sporting event so he will get a thank you note and a nice bottle of bourbon from me.

I look at all of this as an exercise in relationship-building. SAs and ADs are not happy with this situation either, in my opinion. Be decent to them and I think good things will happen.

OP, good luck on your quest!
stap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:07 AM   #49
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Did the AD play me for a fool? - Submariner Waiting List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I wish I could hold your hand and take you back in time with me to what my AD experiences were like when I was looking for my 30th birthday. It was back in 2002 and I had already been casually window shopping and looking at subs since high school, being a huge James bond fan. In the '90s I wasn't in a position to do anything, so I would just stop in and look at the cases, but the SAs were still really friendly with me. They were happy to show me watches and just talk, and they were actually selling the product. I told them I wasn't ready to buy and they said no problem, they still offered to show me watches and they hoped that when I was ready, I would come back to them for the purchase. Back then it was a big deal to help someone get their first Rolex.

In 2002, I was ready to celebrate my 30th. The ADs were so friendly and they would literally open up a big felt pad and take the whole case out for you to try on with no expectation. I didn't end up buying anything and I regret it. Even up to around 2012 the prices and overall experience was still the same as it was before. "Oooh, you want to buy a Rolex? Come with me. What would you like to try on?" They were just happy that you came in and they were hoping you would buy from them.

It's hard going from that to today's experience, but I am fortunate that I am working with a great family owned AD that quietly thinks this current market is ridiculous and when I stop in and talk with my SAs we reminisce together on how things were while we talk watches and get the pre-owned pieces out to enjoy together. The last time I was in we were both looking at and talking about the 1665 double red seadweller they have and the 6536 small crown sub and sharing bits and pieces of what we know about their history while we were each trying it on and enjoying it. It was fun. The double red is listed at $146,000 and he just got it out for me like it was nothing. The 6536 is $50K and I could have worn it the whole time I was there if I wanted.

My round about point is you just need to build rapport with the right person. Once that happens, the doors open and then you get through all of this barrier. You become serious in their eyes and trustworthy. My SAs know I am building my collection to enjoy for life and pass down to my boys. They want to be a part of that with me and they know I am not a flipper. I bought my wife her first Rolex from them for Mother's Day and they know I am serious, so now it's just the waiting game for inventory. I stop in periodically when I am in the area to talk watches, look at the preowned case, and pick up issues of the Rolex Magazine.

Good luck. Stick with her and be patient. Go in person. I think this might work out for you in the end.

Can’t say I disagree with your advice, because the nature of my relationship with my AD is similar to yours (and thousands more), but the simple fact is that building rapport alone is no longer sufficient in today’s Rolex environment for most people.

There simply aren’t enough ADs left that will allocate popular watches from the start (emphasis on start) solely on the basis of good rapport or a good story, the odd incoming notwithstanding.

There simply are too few watches to go around.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:11 AM   #50
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Never mind the watch.

Did you get the job?

Best of luck with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:17 AM   #51
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Can’t say I disagree with your advice, because the nature of my relationship with my AD is similar to yours (and thousands more), but the simple fact is that building rapport alone is no longer sufficient in today’s Rolex environment for most people.

There simply aren’t enough ADs left that will allocate popular watches from the start (emphasis on start) solely on the basis of good rapport or a good story, the odd incoming notwithstanding.

I totally agree. I think if I didn't already own my first, so I wasn't coming in as a current Rolex owner, and if I had not been in a position to help my wife pick out her first, it would be more difficult to break through that barrier starting fresh. My wife had purchased her first engagement ring from this AD (before me) and my mother has her Cartier serviced there, so I also used those relationships to lever up my connection with the business. Might be completely irrelevant, but I used those experiences in the first few conversations about why I trust them as a business. They got me an EZLink for my Oyster Perpetual 36 before I bought my wife hers (in fact my wife found her watch while we were looking at watches as they were installing it on my watch), so I appreciate the relationship we are building.

I wish the OP luck with his journey. Out of all of the ADs he has attempted to establish rapport with, this one sounds the most promising.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:32 AM   #52
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Sounds like a bad date.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:53 AM   #53
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post

Very nice. Sounds like a much simpler and enjoyable time. I will be patient with this SA and we shall see how things unfold. Unfortunately, the world has changed. Not just the watch world either.

Thank you for sharing
Old 21 September 2021, 01:54 AM   #54
telesquire
Banned

Quote:

2020 unworn 126610LN for £12500 at Miltons. That seems to be the going rate. Maybe they'd take less....because these things in physical reality are NOT scarce.
Buy it, forget about the price...have a look again in 10 yrs time and they'll be that price new in AD's and greys will be asking £18k lol....then you'll feel a whole lot better ;)
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 01:54 AM   #55
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Never mind the watch.

Did you get the job?

Best of luck with it.
I haven’t heard back from them yet…..
Old 21 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #56
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
That doesn't mean anything. I have tried on multiple "already sold" watches that were removed and put back into the shipping coffin.
Sure.

Doesn't mean I have to like the principal of it.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 02:02 AM   #57
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe you’re right, perhaps I’m letting my frustration get the better of me. I can’t lie, I would love a BLRO as well. I haven’t formally asked her for one yet. I’m too scared in case she thinks I’m some flipper that is only enquiring about the hard to get models. I genuinely like these models of watches. If she successfully gets me a sub, I will ask her if I can get on a list for the BLRO. I’m pleased there are some nice success stories like this. Did you have previous purchase history with your AD?
I'd be very surprised if you go from no history straight to a black sub.

All the reps have sales targets and a black sub is a no brainer for a nice bundle with jewellery or another watch.

I got mine with a gorgeous Rhodium OP 39 when they use to sit in the AD window.

Either way, good luck to you!
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 02:02 AM   #58
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
You referred to it as "just a watch".......

"All this effort for just a watch".....

Well, you just so happen to desire the MOST popular Rolex model available. If it's "just a watch", then why does everyone in the world want the same exact model?

It's funny how its "just a watch", but there's more buyers than supply. And everyone has the same taste...

Maybe change what watch you want...And don't pick the one everyone else wants also...
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 02:04 AM   #59
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post

It’s difficult. It tried to build rapport with another dealer, the AD inside harrods. My father purchased a two tone datejust with the diamond jubilee dial as a gift around 8-9 years ago for my mother. When I mentioned that to the AD, they simply did not care. Wasn’t bothered or surprised at their response as the Harrods AD handle wealthy international clients. They said “sorry, all steel professional watches are reserved for VIP clients due to high demand. We are also low stock on all other models including datejusts but you’re welcome to come and see what we have left”. I did visit them unannounced, and their display cabinets were empty (almost like they had been robbed).

The current AD I’m speaking with had empty display cases too, but she was a lot more humble in her response. It’s tricky starting from scratch.
Old 21 September 2021, 02:06 AM   #60
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I have so many co workers that come up to me wanting to know how/where/what to pay/etc etc and just like the O P's story I tell them all "I'm sorry you picked the worst time in history to want to buy a Rolex"

Just the facts. Even tough for me and I have over a decade with my A D. Many many many purchases.

O P? Good luck pal. A lot of what you stated you said I agree with and some I dont. But I understand why. Just a tough time to try to buy ANY Rolex via an A D for the customer and them.

Again good luck. Keep your fingers crossed and ease up on the emails. Give her some space.