The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Tampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
16800 Submariner Issue

Hello - my first post here and I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a 1987 16800 that is stopping overnight on the third night after a full wind.

I wound it 60 times and started wearing it exactly at 9am on Saturday. The watch was my wrist all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday from approx. 5:30am to 9pm each day. Yes, I get up at the same time every day to walk my dog. And yes, I'm extremely active during the day.

This same situation has been occurring for basically all of 2021. The watch holds a little more than two days worth of power before failing over night on the third day. I haven't really fretted over it because I just wear my Speedmaster on a daily basis, but now its started to aggravate me.

The watch was serviced in early 2020 by a reputable jeweler here in Miami, but not by Rolex.

Someone just mentioned to me yesterday the possibility that it could be magnetized. I've tried the compass test, but the needle did not move. I tried the Lepsi app and it too didn't detect magnetization. I do not think it is magnetized because when running, the watch keeps perfect time.

I did read in some posts on various forums that magnetization can cause the power reserve to function erratically, but the power reserve seems consistent to me.

My ultimate question: would purchasing a demagnetizer be worth it as simply a way of crossing off one variable before ultimately bringing it to Rolex, or would that create further issues?

Thanks,
Mike
Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:43 AM   #2
SaintMickey
Banned

I have never heard of magnetizing making it stop just mess with its time keeping.

Serviced by a "reputable Jeweler in Miami".... Send it to a RSC.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:02 PM   #3
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
If I am understanding the problem as you state it... It sounds like something is wrong in the self-winding mechanism. Rotor, reverse wheels, something. The watch is functioning on a full wind to the end of it's power reserve but the mainspring is not being properly recharged through the motion of your wrist.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:18 PM   #4
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

I’d post this over in the technical section and get some of those guys to chime in. Have to agree that it definitely sounds like an issue with the automatic winding/rotor system. I’d also be getting in touch with the person that serviced it as they should guarantee their work for some time.
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
This. Sounds like mainspring. RSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I have never heard of magnetizing making it stop just mess with its time keeping.

Serviced by a "reputable Jeweler in Miami".... Send it to a RSC.
Old 9 December 2021, 10:32 PM   #6
Tampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Thanks for the feedback
Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 01:02 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Welcome to the forum

You don't give us any information as to the service history of your watch other than your trip to some reputable jeweller.
If the timekeeping is fine, there's no indication of magnetism.
If I were to take a solid stab in the dark at your problem, I would definately say it's simply well overdue for a "proper" Rolex service.
I recommend sending it to Rolex
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 01:09 PM   #8
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Welcome to the forum. Now let's see that Sub
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:38 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa View Post
Hello - my first post here and I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a 1987 16800 that is stopping overnight on the third night after a full wind.

I wound it 60 times and started wearing it exactly at 9am on Saturday. The watch was my wrist all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday from approx. 5:30am to 9pm each day. Yes, I get up at the same time every day to walk my dog. And yes, I'm extremely active during the day.

This same situation has been occurring for basically all of 2021. The watch holds a little more than two days worth of power before failing over night on the third day. I haven't really fretted over it because I just wear my Speedmaster on a daily basis, but now its started to aggravate me.

The watch was serviced in early 2020 by a reputable jeweler here in Miami, but not by Rolex.

Someone just mentioned to me yesterday the possibility that it could be magnetized. I've tried the compass test, but the needle did not move. I tried the Lepsi app and it too didn't detect magnetization. I do not think it is magnetized because when running, the watch keeps perfect time.

I did read in some posts on various forums that magnetization can cause the power reserve to function erratically, but the power reserve seems consistent to me.

My ultimate question: would purchasing a demagnetizer be worth it as simply a way of crossing off one variable before ultimately bringing it to Rolex, or would that create further issues?

Thanks,
Mike
You state your watch holds a little more than two days worth of power before failing over night on the third day.Well a watch of that age possible the mainspring and spring-barrel was not changed at service.But even it was changed after a full manual wind clockwise only, power-reserve off wrist should last 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so before stopping.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:31 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You state your watch holds a little more than two days worth of power before failing over night on the third day.Well a watch of that age possible the mainspring and spring-barrel was not changed at service.But even it was changed after a full manual wind clockwise only, power-reserve off wrist should last 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so before stopping.
Good point Peter.
However, the OP maintains an active lifestyle by their own account.
I'm not so sure it's simply running out of power reserve at the end of a normal 48 hours from the lack of movement.
Perhaps there's something else that's amiss.
Either way one looks at it, the watch service warranty will be expired by now so the OP is back to square one.
As we know, a Rolex 2 year international service warranty would still be in play
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote