The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2024, 06:56 PM   #1
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

had a chance to handle the TI YM

it is an amazing piece. true tool watch if you can say any rolex is a tool watch still. I really liked the weight and feel on wrist.
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 10:27 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I look forward to seeing one in person.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 10:31 PM   #3
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

I am not sure I would buy a titanium Rolex. It is a dull greyish metal and I prefer my Rolex to have the 904L shine. There are also other companies who do great titanium dive watches. If you like though, that is all that counts
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 10:46 PM   #4
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Would be nice to have a tougher daily, something more impervious to scratches. Scraped the edge off a lug on my EXPII recently, while working on a car. Now one of four lugs is chamfered.

Wouldn’t have lost nearly as much material with the already chamfered, titanium lugs.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 10:55 PM   #5
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I loved it very much. Weirdly light and has a beautiful finish to it.

Definitely not worth the asking price though. It is interesting but doesn’t feel luxurious at all.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 11:15 PM   #6
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

apart from the Deep Sea (which I do not count as an everyday tool watch). I think this TI YM is most aligned with the original Rolex vision of a do everything tool watch. more than the Sub yes. This TI YM is all stealth. matt and looks like it can be in a tool chest. but they add that slight polish to the edges. the slight polish to the raised letters on the black bezel. amazing watch. only watch I am willing to play the AD game with right now. and frankly the only Rolex I want at the moment.
Old 16 February 2024, 11:16 PM   #7
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

also if you compare it to the TI tutor. its not even a comparison. not the same league.
Old 17 February 2024, 12:34 AM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

A beautiful watch both on and off the wrist to be sure.

However, I don't know if I would pay $14k for it even if available. Especially after seeing how nice the Tudor FXD is.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:42 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I was underwhelmed.

I saw it and got to try it on over the holidays. It’s definitely not for me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:45 AM   #10
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

ExplorerII is still considered a "tool" watch IMO. Nothing in the Rolex lineup compares.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 01:04 AM   #11
OTX
"TRF" Member

I think if they made the sides polished like the GMT and Sub, it would be perfect!. Still a tool but gives it the expensive high end look. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Looks too bland imo. For the kind of money Rolex is asking for this, it’s a hard pass for me.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 01:05 AM   #12
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 126333
Looks a very enticing proposition to me. Certainly on screen it looks amazing.

Will probably have impressive durability as a daily. You can have close to the same finish by wearing your 904L steel watch daily, as that will accumulate enough scratches in a short space of time to dull the shine lol!

Other than the YMII, the Yachtmaster is a cracking range.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 01:57 AM   #13
yetione
"TRF" Member

It looks like a very cool piece to have in the collection, but as others have said.... for that price I can't see thrashing it about on a boat. I haven't handled it yet, but the Titanium Omega Diver 300M is 10x the watch the steel one is, IMO, so hopefully the Ti Yachty has the same sort of elevated feel.
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 02:03 AM   #14
VCoupe376ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Would be nice to have a tougher daily, something more impervious to scratches. Scraped the edge off a lug on my EXPII recently, while working on a car. Now one of four lugs is chamfered.

Wouldn’t have lost nearly as much material with the already chamfered, titanium lugs.
That sucks! There's very few things I take my watch off for. Working on cars is one of them. Just too many hard things under a hood to make deep scratches, dents, or shatter crystals.
VCoupe376ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 02:05 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
I think if they made the sides polished like the GMT and Sub, it would be perfect!. Still a tool but gives it the expensive high end look. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Looks too bland imo. For the kind of money Rolex is asking for this, it’s a hard pass for me.

X2.. Yup, I want a touch more “pop” in a Rolex sports watch if I am paying that kind of money.
For my ultra lightweight luxury tool-watch I’ll take a Panerai Carbotech any day. It’s more scratch resistant and significantly lighter weight than titanium. Titanium would be a better match for a diving watch like a SD43. They make the SD43 in titanium and it gets an all new identity in the line up. It seems Rolex is trying to breathe new life and attention to the YM line up with the titanium offering. In my mind it’s more of a exercise in marketing than optimal use of materials for applicational use.
Old 17 February 2024, 02:11 AM   #16
-dustin

anyone got any comments on the bracelet? is it so light and 'airy' that it feels "cheap"*?

*obviously not poorly constructed or anything, just light. like the Pelagos bracelet (which I love...)
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 02:22 AM   #17
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCoupe376ci View Post
That sucks! There's very few things I take my watch off for. Working on cars is one of them. Just too many hard things under a hood to make deep scratches, dents, or shatter crystals.
That's definitely sound advice. It was unexpected help on a -20 morning and my mind was only thinking 'get it done fast so I can get back inside'.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 02:27 AM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
anyone got any comments on the bracelet? is it so light and 'airy' that it feels "cheap"*?

*obviously not poorly constructed or anything, just light. like the Pelagos bracelet (which I love...)
It very probably is similar in weight to other titanium bracelets.

It does have ceramic sleeve bearings in the links so it probably won’t squeak as much as some Ti bracelets. Side-effect of the oxide coating Ti acquires in contact with air.

Titanium is not a great conductor of heat, unlike Oystersteel. That makes it feel a bit plasticky.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote