The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Green Sub

My FICO credit score took a hit

Only because I have been so vocal about the benefit of taking advantage of no interest financing at my AD, I thought I should back track and share this.

I pulled my FICO score in April and it was 796 out of a possible 850. That's about normal for me.

Today, for no related reason to my 2 recent Rolex purchases, I pulled my FICO score again. It was 782. The reason mentioned in the report was not that I had increased my credit debt by $10,000 or so, but because I had obtained new credit recently. The new account at Jared's was cited.

It's no big deal, but I did think that I should mention this the way I have raved about no interest financing.
Green Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
You gave Jared your SSN . . . and so, interest or not, the line of credit is a matter of record.

The above is really a question, rather than a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq2675 View Post
Only because I have been so vocal about the benefit of taking advantage of no interest financing at my AD, I thought I should back track and share this.

I pulled my FICO score in April and it was 796 out of a possible 850. That's about normal for me.

Today, for no related reason to my 2 recent Rolex purchases, I pulled my FICO score again. It was 782. The reason mentioned in the report was not that I had increased my credit debt by $10,000 or so, but because I had obtained new credit recently. The new account at Jared's was cited.

It's no big deal, but I did think that I should mention this the way I have raved about no interest financing.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Green Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
You gave Jared your SSN . . . and so, interest or not, the line of credit is a matter of record.

The above is really a question, rather than a statement.
This is true, I did have to fill out a credit app with my SSN. I have never tracked my FICO in such a short interval and didn't realize my score would take a 15 point hit. I think 750 is a magic score number. Something a prospective Rolex buyer might want to think about if they float around a 760 score or so.
Old 18 July 2008, 07:35 AM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

It is a very very complicated formula. It may be down now, but after you pay it off, it'll be higher than 796. To increase your score you have to decrease it first by taking on debt. If you don't take on debt, the formula makes it hard to ever increase b/c much of your score is based on your ability to have debt over several months/years and be able to pay it off.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 08:01 AM   #5
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Many loan/finance programs are top tier for 730 and above. You're smooth sailing with that score.
Old 18 July 2008, 08:11 AM   #6
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Girls used to say that on a Fido scale..I was a 9.............what does that mean?
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
It is a very very complicated formula. It may be down now, but after you pay it off, it'll be higher than 796. To increase your score you have to decrease it first by taking on debt. If you don't take on debt, the formula makes it hard to ever increase b/c much of your score is based on your ability to have debt over several months/years and be able to pay it off.
Exactly...it doesn't matter. I just bought another home and ironically enough while running mine & wife's FICO numbers they actually did damage to it due to running multiple requests for our scores! Can you say double-edged sword?

In the end I really don't mind because both are in the high 700's and I know buying another home & making automatic payments will make the scores even higher in very short order...just like taking out this Jared's credit line & paying it off. Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
That's normal.
everytime you have a new credit card or credit line, your score drops and then good history from this account will bring the score back up.
your score did not drop much either.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 09:40 AM   #9
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Interesting.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
That's normal.
everytime you have a new credit card or credit line, your score drops and then good history from this account will bring the score back up.
your score did not drop much either.
Thats how I understand it to work.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:28 AM   #11
blackrhino12

I don't want a FICO score because I don't want to borrow money. Save and pay cash or you can't afford it.
blackrhino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

When you pay it off it will go up and you'll have a paid off Rolex.
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 11:52 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
A local car dealer ran my credit when I showed interest in a car. I had not authorized it. I am highly bothered by it.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 11:54 AM   #14
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Sometimes you need to have some sort of credit history.

ie. credit card to pay for gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrhino12 View Post
I don't want a FICO score because I don't want to borrow money. Save and pay cash or you can't afford it.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:56 AM   #15
jbomb42

Quote:
YEAH! X2
jbomb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 12:10 PM   #16
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
A local car dealer ran my credit when I showed interest in a car. I had not authorized it. I am highly bothered by it.
Why fill out a credit application if you did not want them to pull your credit?
Old 18 July 2008, 12:39 PM   #17
Green Sub

Quote:
I'm not sure the majority of Rolex owners could afford to pay cash for their home. To get the best mortgage rates, you gotta have a good FICO score in the USA.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 18 July 2008, 01:04 PM   #18
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Wow. What an interesting turn of a thread. Bravo !!! Interesting stuff on the FICO and unintended impacts from rather benign events for most of us.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
while running mine & wife's FICO numbers they actually did damage to it due to running multiple requests for our scores
This is what bothers me.

Anybody have an idea how badly a credit check impacts your FICO score? I have been told that a few (1-2?) inquiries don't matter, but if you have several (3-4?) and don't follow it by obtaining an approved loan, it makes you look un-credit-worthy and your score drops. In other words, it makes you look like someone who asked for a loan and was denied, even if it was your decision not to get the loan.
Old 18 July 2008, 06:14 PM   #20
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a great concept if you plan to just buy watches, clothes, food and maybe a new car during your lifetime...but good luck buying a house and securing a mortgage (assuming of course that you don't make over $1M/year and want to buy a house over $500K). I couldn't afford to buy my house in cash (or the 2 rental properties I have acquired over the last 5 years), but I could afford a down payment and a great mortgage due to a high FICO score. Are you saying I shouldn't have bought because I didn't have 100% cash for my home? No way boss, that's not how it works.

I think everyone should care about building their FICO score...ya never know when you'll need to secure a loan for something...those that don't work to improve it will realize too late a low score (which obviously doesn't always equate to bad credit history...it could just mean no history) means a higher rate & more money in interest going to the bank instead of in your savings.

Some of the best ways to earn any type of real, long-term wealth is through the smart, informed use of credit. Even though the credit markets are getting killed nowadays, the principles are still valid and should never be abandoned. Cheers.
Old 18 July 2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Exactly...it doesn't matter. I just bought another home and ironically enough while running mine & wife's FICO numbers they actually did damage to it due to running multiple requests for our scores! Can you say double-edged sword?

In the end I really don't mind because both are in the high 700's and I know buying another home & making automatic payments will make the scores even higher in very short order...just like taking out this Jared's credit line & paying it off. Cheers.
That should not be the case. You should be able to pull as many of your own scores as you want with no negative impact. Until recently you could use those reports to game the system and bump real inquiries from your file. Your credit file (I forget which one) can only hold a specific number of inquiries. Maybe 100 or so, for example. If you pull a new report yourself (called a soft inquiry) every day, eventually you will bump the oldest inquiries from the file.

Real (hard) inquiries by creditors tend to drop your score 5-10 points temporarily. There is no correlation between an inquiry and failure to open a new line of credit. An inquiry is an inquiry only and it stands alone. You credit report is based upon a snapshot in time.

Like I said in another thread, there is a message board for everything. There are a few for people who are fixing their credit, or want to maximize their score. It's almost like a hobby. You can get sucked in. Some folks are trying to fix their 510 score, while others want a "Vanity FICO" of 800+. Every loan officer has told me that low-700's or better is all anyone needs, so the effort in going from 780 to 810 is probably for nothing.

Every bank and credit card offers a credit monitoring service now. I use the one provided by American Express. It alerts me quickly of any changes to my files.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 10:33 PM   #22
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

Last year I was at a luxury car dealer wanting to buy the wife a car.

We test drove a $120K car and i gave the dealer my drivers license so he could copy it, SOP they said.

It took a few mins.

WHat they do,, before letting out a $120K car to a stranger is get a preliminary FICO score without going into your credit report,, it doesnt show up as a hit on your report and since you have no idea someone went in,, he doesnt need permission to do that if there is a good business reason,, eg, you are taking out his expensive property.

Its a summary of your credit without details but gives the FICO #.

NO biggie to me, I must have passed because I drove the car for 20 mins with my wife.

D
newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 11:02 PM   #23
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
I paid off 2 loans and my score WENT DOWN not up!

Bunch of BS for the credit bureaus to manipulate for their gain IMO. Personally, I'm done with going deeper in debt. I just froze the credit reports of my wife and I at all 3 agencies.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 11:37 PM   #24
cummins77c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
That should not be the case. You should be able to pull as many of your own scores as you want with no negative impact. Until recently you could use those reports to game the system and bump real inquiries from your file. Your credit file (I forget which one) can only hold a specific number of inquiries. Maybe 100 or so, for example. If you pull a new report yourself (called a soft inquiry) every day, eventually you will bump the oldest inquiries from the file.

Real (hard) inquiries by creditors tend to drop your score 5-10 points temporarily. There is no correlation between an inquiry and failure to open a new line of credit. An inquiry is an inquiry only and it stands alone. You credit report is based upon a snapshot in time.

Like I said in another thread, there is a message board for everything. There are a few for people who are fixing their credit, or want to maximize their score. It's almost like a hobby. You can get sucked in. Some folks are trying to fix their 510 score, while others want a "Vanity FICO" of 800+. Every loan officer has told me that low-700's or better is all anyone needs, so the effort in going from 780 to 810 is probably for nothing.

Every bank and credit card offers a credit monitoring service now. I use the one provided by American Express. It alerts me quickly of any changes to my files.
Being a misguided youth i really screwed up my credit in college. By the time i had a good job and wanted to start aquiring things on credit it was very difficult ( high interest rates, huge downpayments etc.). My low score was a 503 7 years ago. I have sinced worked very hard to improve my score and it was a very difficult road.

My score now will fluctuate monthly by as much as 40 points (650ish-690ish) and from my credit monitoring it is directly related to my balances on revolving accounts ( credit cards).

I pay off every credit card i have monthly now and haven't missed a payment in 5 years.

And from what I have seen high 600's has gotten me everything i have wanted so far. I just bought a house, seem to get every credit card i apply for including a 6k limit a Jareds to support this habit, and 0% financing on my truck.

Just my observations on the credit thing.
cummins77c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2008, 02:02 AM   #25
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Ed,

How can anyone get any credit info on you without your SSN?

I'm a little puzzled by this.

Thanks.

Mark

Quote:

Old 19 July 2008, 05:24 AM   #26
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All I know is what I read in the reports. We just bought another house and I used a mortgage broker that has secured me some great deals in the past. As always he ran all our info w/ the banks to secure the best possible package. When I read the report that is automatically sent to us, there were 3 comments on why my score was adjusted. One was, "Too many credit inquires within the last 12 months"...or something very similar (I don't have the exact wording in front of me now). I found that odd as we only have an airline miles cc & an Amex that we've had/used for years & always pay off the balance each month.

We've not applied or taken out any new credit lines in the last 4 years, so the only thing I could think of was all my latest new mortgage applications. As I said before, in the end I really didn't care since our scores were still plenty high to secure the best rate possible, I just thought it ironic that I take a hit just trying to secure another mortgage.
Old 20 July 2008, 04:15 AM   #27
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Ed,

How can anyone get any credit info on you without your SSN?

I'm a little puzzled by this.

Thanks.

Mark
They cannot.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 01:03 PM   #28
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Why fill out a credit application if you did not want them to pull your credit?
I didn't. They asked my name and address and that is all they had. They knew my social from my last car purchase 2 years ago.

Long story short -- they are liable to me for $1,000 and the credit bureaus for $3,500 each. Unless I sign the application.

They called me up and gave me an offer I could not refuse. They basically bought back my old car for what I paid, and I got discounts on this car. Work for me!
Old 20 July 2008, 01:17 PM   #29
NitroRacer
"TRF" Member

Watch: M SS WG DJ OYSTER
When you apply for a job, they do a background chick.... including credit check.
NitroRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 02:03 PM   #30
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeorgan View Post
When you apply for a job, they do a background chick.... including credit check.
But that's not a hard pull, it is a soft pull and does not count.