The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2023, 06:31 PM   #31
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
I know Ben and Hodinkee are a nice target to mock, even I do it sometimes for fun, but let's get real... guy built a empire, he made watch collab with 20+ brands not something that many, if anyone, can brag about...
3 years later I still can't get over the great travel clock rip-off. That was just taking the piss, akin to the infamous Panerai Brooklyn Bridge.

But I agree with the general point, no-one should expect serious journalism when people's whole existence is build on their brand relationships.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 06:35 PM   #32
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Because i love AP and am genuinely sad seeing where the company is now.
Explain more what direction you think AP is now headed towards.

And perhaps what course correction you think AP needs.

Your lack of effort in describing your dismissal of AP’s current and future releases demonstrate either a lack of understanding on your part or a lack of understanding on our part in what your reasoning actually is

AP has always done collabs that were “questionable” for its time. Jay z, Arnold, lebron, Shaq. Now you complain about marvel?

ROO was a best seller for many years and no one even wanted a RO up until recently in the last 5 years.

As for code 11, sentiment surrounding the latest releases are quickly changing
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 06:38 PM   #33
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
True, but let's not forget that AP is a one watch company and for innovation releases spiderman limited editions...
Tiresome. Maybe the mods can sticky that for you, and you can move on, instead of regurgitating the same line as non sequitur in every other thread?
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 10:54 PM   #34
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
3 years later I still can't get over the great travel clock rip-off. That was just taking the piss, akin to the infamous Panerai Brooklyn Bridge.

But I agree with the general point, no-one should expect serious journalism when people's whole existence is build on their brand relationships.
These two and Goldberger shitshow was their biggest fails. And they covered OW just like I was thinking they will do, without mentioning Santa Laura or their beloved Perez...

And speaking of hate of one watch companies, the one I hate the most is Rolex... just the oystercase after ostercase model... even the most famous one watch company AP did more on Code line then they do on the Cellini one
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 11:01 PM   #35
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post

And speaking of hate of one watch companies, the one I hate the most is Rolex... just the oystercase after ostercase model... even the most famous one watch company AP did more on Code line then they do on the Cellini one
Exactly. Rolex literally has 2 cases and almost every watch is a permutation of that (e.g, datejust, day-date, Daytona, SkyD; submariner, gmt, and yacht master)

I like Rolex but let’s not pretend like it’s a diverse or non-redundant brand
Old 25 October 2023, 01:53 AM   #36
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Exactly. Rolex literally has 2 cases and almost every watch is a permutation of that (e.g, datejust, day-date, Daytona, SkyD; submariner, gmt, and yacht master)

But but...the bezels! They change all the time
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 02:12 AM   #37
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
That's an unusual opinion and possibly libellous to express on a Rolex watch forum
Yeah, not even close.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 02:17 AM   #38
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
But but...the bezels! They change all the time

Also in different colors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 06:43 AM   #39
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Explain more what direction you think AP is now headed towards.

And perhaps what course correction you think AP needs.

Your lack of effort in describing your dismissal of AP’s current and future releases demonstrate either a lack of understanding on your part or a lack of understanding on our part in what your reasoning actually is

AP has always done collabs that were “questionable” for its time. Jay z, Arnold, lebron, Shaq. Now you complain about marvel?

ROO was a best seller for many years and no one even wanted a RO up until recently in the last 5 years.

As for code 11, sentiment surrounding the latest releases are quickly changing

No point in debating with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Tiresome. Maybe the mods can sticky that for you, and you can move on, instead of regurgitating the same line as non sequitur in every other thread?

Totally agree!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 08:35 AM   #40
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post

Yes, no hate for Rolex at all... just wanted to point that one watch company nonsense...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 04:54 PM   #41
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

With the comparison with Rolex, apologies but two wrongs don't make it right.
We have to agree that rolex cases are "normal". No sharp angles, no super nicely brushed vs polished surfaces etc. Plus they resemble typical watches since forever (round dial etc). The royal oak is a completely different story. It's a statement design. AP knows it and are still capitalizing on it no matter what the people on this forum say. Again i own a royal oak and see absolutely zero value in purchasing any other model from the royal oak line as it's purely cosmetics changes. . Even AP acknowledges it by calling all their models royal oak or royal oak offshore. Maybe it's a marketing thing and if they changed the name to something different it would make me feel better, but they can't at this stage. I owned a diver and a bumblebee and sold them both as I got bored of them.
AP of the past released countless stunning models, whether it's in the Jules Audemars line or other lines. I would personally like to go back to these times where AP was actually innovative in their watch designs as opposed to regurgitating the same twice a year. And the code takes its cues from the royal oak so to me it's another variant of the royal oak, and a bad one at that, no matter how many complications they stick in it to justify the R&D costs and bad design.
The collabs done with artists before were actually nice and innovative- fantastic use of materials and colors. Absolutely incomparable to marvel, power rangers, teletubbies or gi-joe (which will come probably come next, mark my words) that we are seeing nowadays.
Anyway we are all entitled to our opinions and would appreciate a bit of decency in response to my comments as opposed to clinging on what i say and being offended, as if you had shares in the company.
Counter-argument what i say productively if you believe i'm wrong.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote