The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 January 2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Patek Philippe 5146g-010 or 5146p ??

I'm finally at a point (I think), when I can (maybe?) afford a Patek. I've narrowed it down to the two I like the most, regarding complications, appearance/aesthetics, and financially; and am looking for opinions and to have some questions answered: 1. For those of you who have seen both (in person), is the face of the 5146p much darker (if at all) than the face of the 5146g-010? 2. Does the general consensus favor the three raised numbers of the 5146g, or the plain markers of the 5146p? 3. In low light, is it easy to read these watches, even though they both have illuminated hands? 4. Is there really an advantage to purchasing this through an authorized dealership, and if not, do you have an outlet you like or trust the most? I live in Michigan, and there's no dealership here to show me both, for the sake of comparison. I tried contacting Govberg, and even they don't have both; even though that would be quite a drive from here, anyway. Any suggestions? 5. How comfortable is this watch with the fold-over clasp? Sorry to be so verbose, but I'm really excited about this, and cannot make up my mind between these two watches. I'm not interested in "investment value", but rather what I'll be happy with as a daily wearer. Help? Thank you ahead of time. Signed: Patek "Newbie".
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 09:12 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome to TRF! As for the 5146P I can speak to that as that was my very first Patek. It is a lovely watch and the dial is incredible. Is it hard to read in low light? Yes like any other dark dial but the beauty in the light outweighs any concern. I also looked at the G versus P and for me the P was just a bit more special in typical Patek platinum way. Good luck with your decision.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:14 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Both the 5146G slate dial and the 5146P are great looking watches. The 5146P dial is slightly darker in color, but unless you have them side by side, most people will not notice the difference. The main difference as you noted are the hour markers and the metal case.

Most Patek "dress watches" are hard to read in dim lighting because they do not have luminescent hands and/or hour markers. Most Patek "sports watches" have luminescent hands and/or hour markers. The 5146 is an exception to the rule in that it has luminescent hands and is easier to read compared to other dress watches, including the 5396 and 5205.

The deployant clasp is a nice feature on the 5146. Other ACs like the 5205 have the tang buckle and it cost a few thousand $$$ extra to add a deployant clasp. Some of the earlier versions of the 5146 did not come with the deployant clasp. So if you are shopping pre-owned, make sure you ask what type of buckle/clasp the watch has. I find the deployant clasp quite comfortable on my wrist.

There is currently a large price gap between the retail price and the pre-owned price for both the 5146G-010 and 5146P. I wouldn't necessarily recommend someone purchasing a 5146 brand new from an AD unless you can get a good discount.

As to which one to choose between the 5146G-010 and 5146P, it is pure personal preference and what prices you can get them at. If there is less than a $5000 price difference, the 5146P would be a great buy. However if the price premium is $10K+ for the 5146P, then I would recommend getting the 5146G-010.

Happy shopping!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I have handled both, and I don't think the difference in the dial was enough for me to definitively say one was a lot darker. For me, I far prefer the uniform stick markers of the p, so that would easily be my choice.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:40 AM   #5
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Welcome to TRF!

You pay a premium for platinum, but I love platinum. That would be my choice. Buy it right, though.

Calling Jorge! He’ll be able to post some enabling P pics for you.

Good luck!
Old 3 January 2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I have handled both, and I don't think the difference in the dial was enough for me to definitively say one was a lot darker. For me, I far prefer the uniform stick markers of the p, so that would easily be my choice.
Agree with Mike 100%. The stick markers are only offered on the platinum version of this reference and IMO are a far more sophisticated look than the mixed numerals.

The added weight of the platinum is also very nice and give the watch a much more substantial feel.

Although I generally prefer a tang buckle, the deployant works very well on this reference and is very comfortable.

I think it's a great first choice!

Welcome to the forum

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Checking the prices, referring to both Patek's MSRP and/or the discount houses, the difference in price between the 5146g-010 and 5146p is about $20,000. I, too, would like to lean towards the platinum....I'm just trying to justify an extra $20,000 for the platinum case and plain digit markers. And the irony is that right now, an ounce of gold is significantly more expensive than an ounce of platinum.
Old 3 January 2018, 01:10 PM   #8
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
Checking the prices, referring to both Patek's MSRP and/or the discount houses, the difference in price between the 5146g-010 and 5146p is about $20,000. I, too, would like to lean towards the platinum....I'm just trying to justify an extra $20,000 for the platinum case and plain digit markers. And the irony is that right now, an ounce of gold is significantly more expensive than an ounce of platinum.
My AD has a pre owned example in platinum if interested
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 01:27 PM   #9
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Having owned the 5146p i can say it is a great watch. The stick hour markers, slate dial and weight
of the platinum are all special qualities of this watch. I believe it is worth the extra outlay, search around and you can find a great price especially pre-owned.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 01:35 PM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pricingwise, you should be able to find a pre-owned 5146P in the $35K-$40K USD range and the pre-owned 5146G-010 in the $25K-$30K USD range, depending on condition.

Personally I wouldn't pay a $20K premium for a 5146P as you can get a new Aquanaut with that price premium. Even at a $10K price premium, it is almost a 35% premium for the platinum piece. Part of that is the exclusivity factor with a smaller number of platinum pieces produced.
Old 3 January 2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Pricingwise, you should be able to find a pre-owned 5146P in the $35K-$40K USD range and the pre-owned 5146G-010 in the $25K-$30K USD range, depending on condition.

Personally I wouldn't pay a $20K premium for a 5146P as you can get a new Aquanaut with that price premium. Even at a $10K price premium, it is almost a 35% premium for the platinum piece. Part of that is the exclusivity factor with a smaller number of platinum pieces produced.
Normally I'd agree with this, but in this case the platinum is just.... better.

Yeah it's a big chunk of change, but it's still less expensive then buying and selling the cheaper one once you realize the platinum is what you desire. It's only painful the day you pay the bill, but the pleasure will last a lifetime.

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it...

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:01 PM   #12
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post

Yeah it's a big chunk of change, but it's still less expensive then buying and selling the cheaper one once you realize the platinum is what you desire. It's only painful the day you pay the bill, but the pleasure will last a lifetime.

I can't tell if that is great or terrible advice...but I do kind of like it
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 03:21 AM   #13
HoosAir
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711, 5167, 5146P
I recently bought the 5146p and chose it over the g version due to the stick numerals. I think it is a cleaner, more modern, and classier look. I don't love the diamond which feels superfluous and overly showy but I have gotten used to it. Despite the luminous hands it is hard to read in low light and candidly, in regular light at the wrong angle. However, I love the case/face combination and overall look. I still prefer my 5711 and wear that more, but the 5146p is very versatile and makes a great first patek. Works with a suit or with a t shirt and jeans and is very comfortable due to soft edges and low profile. Def buy used. I actually ended up with Jorges but via an AD. My AD has a used one at a fair price. PM me and I can send you details.

I forgot to answer some of your other specific questions:
-I personally love the deployant clasp. It is very comfortable and faster/safer to put on (I have dropped watches more than once threading a tang)
-I personally prefer to buy high-end used watches from an AD. For this piece I didn't find there to be much of a premium, if any, and the peace of mind was worth it to me even if it was a little more.
-I never compared p/g side by side in the slate face but I agree with the consensus above. Dial color is very similar and is not the reason to chose one vs. the other. It is the numerals. The weight/heft is a little more which some like but not a factor for me.

Last edited by HoosAir; 4 January 2018 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: added content to answer questions
HoosAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 04:51 AM   #14
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I’ve handles both, and ended up purchasing the g, it’s realky basically the same watch, I also purchased they gray strap from Patek, I like how it matches the Dial. Very comfortable watch for everyday wear, not great in low light.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 09:56 AM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post

We can all agree that platinum is better and more exclusive than gold when it comes to luxury Swiss watches. And if someone is purchasing a gold version only to purchase the platinum version later on, it would be wiser to get the platinum version from the beginning.

Ultimately OP needs to see the watches in person and decide which one he wants and find the best price for the watch.
Old 4 January 2018, 11:25 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the slate G dial is slightly lighter, but the P sticks are classier, but then have less character. Tough one. Pic of both below.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pubza...mage.87202.jpg
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 05:47 AM   #17
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Great choice.....

Buy what you like regardless....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 07:01 AM   #18
Roovain
"TRF" Member

That picture of the two of them together by AK797 is fantastic. How did you get that?
Old 5 January 2018, 08:00 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
That picture of the two of them together by AK797 is fantastic. How did you get that?
I think a google search, think it was originally on purists.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Roovain
"TRF" Member

As a "newbie" to this site, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed. They were all great answers to my dilemma. You're all very professional, and I'm sure I'll be back. Thanks again. Wish me luck in my quest. Rick
Old 5 January 2018, 03:31 PM   #21
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I agree with others above and think the stick hands on the P look more refined, however, I personally wouldn't pay the price premium for P and would prefer to get a second watch with the price differential. Not saying quantity is better than quality and not knowing what other watches OP has in his collection, it may not be relevant, but I could find something nice to fit into my collection with an addition 10-20k in the budget (e.g., Calatrava, Aquanaut, vintage Speedmaster or Submariner, etc.).

I would definitely buy pre-owned though as the 5146 is soft at the moment. You will also want to consider cost of service in the future as well when buying pre-owned.

In terms of legibility, I had considered both slate and cream in the G but ended up going with cream because it was more easy to read.

The deployant is great, very comfortable and easy on and off the wrist and much safer as well. If you do end up buying pre-owned, be sure to get the Calatrava Cross deployant rather than the Chevron buckle. I believe they had quality/safety issues with the Chevron buckle and replaced it with the Calatrava Cross version but I believe there are still those out there with the old buckle.

Either way you go, the 5146 is a great first Patek. Good luck.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:56 PM   #22
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Thanks, "sirish19". With the cream face, do you like the rose, yellow, or white gold the best? When I view images on the internet, to me, the white gold looks a bit washed out, and more difficult to read. True?
Old 6 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #23
HoosAir
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711, 5167, 5146P
FWIW, I think the lighting/angle in the side by side that was posted above makes the p face look much darker than it does in person. Roovain- I can't figure out how to attach files to a post but if helpful happy to send you some wrist pics directly.
HoosAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 03:09 PM   #24
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Quote:
Thanks, "sirish19". With the cream face, do you like the rose, yellow, or white gold the best? When I view images on the internet, to me, the white gold looks a bit washed out, and more difficult to read. True?
I ended up going with the white gold version and didn't think it was difficult to read but, to be honest, I wasn't really a fan of yellow or pink gold at the time that I was buying so really was only comparing the cream with the slate dials and went with cream. That being said, I am really thinking that I want a pink gold watch in my own collection and have looked at the 5146 in pink and think it looks fantastic. I am still not a fan of the yellow gold though. I haven't actually looked at them side-by side though. I will be visiting a couple of AD's next week so if they have a PG in stock, I'll take some side-by-sides and post.
Old 6 January 2018, 09:02 PM   #25
wm5382
"TRF" Member

Here is pics of my pink 5146

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
wm5382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 07:05 AM   #26
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

I've had both and ended up keeping the 5146. The 5196 was amazing, but I just felt like the 5146 was more satisfying to wear. It was a bit more substantive while still being discrete, and the automatic movement felt a lot nicer then the manual, especially when winding. I also liked the lume on the 5146 dial and hands, which I felt added something special. I'd buy the 5196 again if I got a very good deal, but I didn't feel like it was fully worth the price, at least in relation to what you get with the 5146.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote