The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2018, 02:01 AM   #61
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

ADs that ask for deposits are code for “we have cash flow problems.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:02 AM   #62
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
ADs that ask for deposits are code for “we have cash flow problems.”

Ding ding ding. What do we have for em Johnny!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
JM0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:15 AM   #63
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I disagree. Dealers asking for a deposit separates the buyers from the shoppers.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:40 AM   #64
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I disagree. Dealers asking for a deposit separates the buyers from the shoppers.
I have to disagree with your disagreement, there is no reasonable need to separate the buyers from the tire kickers on a hot watch like the Daytona. If Buyer A is a flake, the dealer surely has Buyers B-Z that would step right up. No good dealer needs a deposit on and in-demand model such as the DaytonaC...

As mentioned earlier, a dealer that requires a deposit is likely just using it as float and I'd question if one should be doing business with them.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:01 AM   #65
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I agree. I think that’s why their waiting list is very short. If no deposit was required, I’m thinking their list would have been miles long as many people call and put their names on multiple lists. With half down, It’s easier for them to manage the list. I can also get back my money anytime so have nothing to lose really.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:02 AM   #66
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I have to disagree with your disagreement, there is no reasonable need to separate the buyers from the tire kickers on a hot watch like the Daytona. If Buyer A is a flake, the dealer surely has Buyers B-Z that would step right up. No good dealer needs a deposit on and in-demand model such as the DaytonaC...

As mentioned earlier, a dealer that requires a deposit is likely just using it as float and I'd question if one should be doing business with them.
But requiring a deposit does cut out a lot of the BS buyers who put their names on 20 lists hoping to get a call from one. If a buyer puts down a deposit, it means they're serious about buying from that AD.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:59 AM   #67
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
He also has a receipt stating the deposit amount and hopefully the balance. In his position I believe he took the best option for getting the watch.
Yes, all that info is on there.
Old 18 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #68
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM0127 View Post
I'm sorry, but call me old school. It's bs taking money from some one on a chance or crap shoot. As a dealer, it costs nothing to order the watch. You get what you get or what you're able to find. Taking a half net cost up front when the deliverable item could be days or years away is ludacrious IMO. I have never or will never put money up front for anything, especially a watch. That be a job by a contractor or whomever does work for me. If you cannot front the cost of the job, the job isn't for you. I don't bid a $1M job without first having the funds liquid to pay for the job. If someone asks me for money up front that works for me, they no longer work for me. I'm not one to front your bad spending habits or poor decisions. I'd cautious about the refund. What does the receipt say? Not the associate, the receipt. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. In writing, not hopes and dreams. This may sound harsh but this really rubs me the wrong way. Sorry. Hope it works out for you. I wish you the best.

Not to repeat anything from my previous post, I agree with this 100% -- and I will go so far as to say this same thing cost one of the two ADs I have long relationships and history with a lot of my future business, after last year's Basel - when they called me and offered me the first stainless SkyDweller. I just politely passed, and the last 2 watches I've purchased came from elsewhere.

It is a principle thing to me as well.

My .02 is some smaller ADs have found [this] a way to increase on hand cash flow with these high demand - hard to get references. Period.

I also hope it works out and you get your watch asap!
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:42 AM   #69
OTX
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the support :-). I hope it gets here fast too. When I asked them yesterday right before I paid the deposit, how long it would take, they said over 1 year for the white one. They said the black one sooner. Not too bad I guess for such a high demand watch. First time I’ve ever paid full retail for a watch but I think it’s worth it!. Pics to follow in 20 years lol.
Old 18 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #70
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Good luck. Maybe I should follow suit. Put a deposit of 10% at a boutique for on immediately following announcement in 2016 for a white dial. Still waiting for mine....I periodically email the manager who can’t gice me a straight answer as to when I can expect it and apparently I started the list at like 4 or 5 and am maybe now number 2 - this is 2 years later. They do offer me a refund on my deposit but I feel if I do this then that would drop me down the so called list. Patience wearing thin hearing all these things.
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:58 AM   #71
OTX
"TRF" Member

I know many said that you pay the msrp at the time the watch arrives but according to the receipt I received, it shows the balance owed and the msrp. Isn’t it binding since it’s on paper?.

Old 18 January 2018, 09:06 AM   #72
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odat View Post
I know many said that you pay the msrp at the time the watch arrives but according to the receipt I received, it shows the balance owed and the msrp. Isn’t it binding since it’s on paper?.

Why would you think you pay full retail if you've already paid 50%? That would be a super crappy deal...
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:11 AM   #73
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Why would you think you pay full retail if you've already paid 50%? That would be a super crappy deal...
Lol. What I meant is, do I pay the remaining balance as shown or do I pay more than what’s shown if the msrp goes up by th time it gets here?.
Old 18 January 2018, 09:13 AM   #74
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. What I meant is, do I pay the remaining balance as shown or do I pay more than what’s shown if the msrp goes up by th time it gets here?.
Is that a serious question? Shirley you can't be serious? This must be your first retail experience.

Old 18 January 2018, 09:18 AM   #75
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is that a serious question? Shirley you can't be serious? This must be your first retail experience.

It is!. Never purchased a watch with a waiting list before. That’s why I asked :-)
Old 18 January 2018, 09:20 AM   #76
davidgilmore
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I received my white dial model in September after a 4 month wait. Did not make a down payment but did trade in my previous model white dial Daytona the day I put the order in. I had not purchased a watch from my AD for at least 15 years prior. They had about 10 people on list at time, but somehow mine arrived post haste. New one was at list price, but they definitely did well on re-selling mine I am sure! Guess all dealers play it differently. I felt OK with the deal.
davidgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:23 AM   #77
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is!. Never purchased a watch with a waiting list before. That’s why I asked :-)
I need a drink. Standby.

Old 18 January 2018, 09:25 AM   #78
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I need a drink. Standby.

Take this stuff somewhere else man. If you have nothing to say, move on!
Old 18 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #79
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Need advice...Daytona Ceramic waiting list

I actually edit my post and change my stance. I googled “preorder and price increase” to see how different businesses handle this situation. It looks like pretty much all businesses honor the price at the time of your preorder. So you do have a valid argument should they feel otherwise.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:37 AM   #80
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
I feel like if your watch comes in after a price increase you will have to pay the additional. I fee like they would change the “nonstock item” line to whatever the new MSRP would be. And not $12,400. There is nothing on there that specifies that the price is locked in. And there is also nothing that says it cant be increased. The AD wins because they know if you refuse to pay the additional price then they just refund you the money. And someone will pay it. Guaranteed.

Sounds logical. Thanks!
Old 18 January 2018, 09:41 AM   #81
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Take this stuff somewhere else man. If you have nothing to say, go waste your time somewhere else.
I just can't believe the stuff you're asking. Its CRAZY. You are in a contractual binding agreement at the current price. Just incase you weren't aware: A sale of a tangible asset or good, is a contract between two entities or parties agreed upon at time of sale. Seeing that you and the AD have mutually agreed to a price, be that a sales price of $12,400.00 (which happens to be MSRP) you and the ad (the said 'parties') have entered into a binding agreement at current market rates (MSRP). Seeing you have a receipt, which entails the balance set forth in the 'said agreement' you are contractually obligated to pay the said amount due in the balance section of your account to settle and conclude such business between the two previously mentioned parties. You are liable for the amount shown and no more. Hence what I said earlier, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove. I clearly can see now why they required you to put a deposit down; and for good reason. You are making this much more difficult that it needs to be all-the-while asking questions that don't need to be asked. You have an invoice for the other half. It is due upon receipt. This is not rocket science. SIMPLE..... Liable for what's listed. C'Mon MAN!!!!!

Could they, sure. Should they, no. That's what a relationship is about. Also something you should have asked in advance of paying the money.
Old 18 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #82
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds logical. Thanks!

I edited my original post. And changed my stance. Go back and check it out.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #83
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I jsut dont get it..
I thought so too but some people are saying that it doesn’t matter and you will pay according to the new msrp. That’s why I’m confused. Thanks for your answer!.
Old 18 January 2018, 10:05 AM   #84
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Odat, I suspect you might get it sooner than you think. The others on the waitlist might not have paid any deposits but you have and also at the current MSRP. Fingers crossed you might get the call soon, so good luck!
rallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:15 AM   #85
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

My understanding is most ADs will expect you to pay the current msrp at delivery date. So you owe the difference if that happens.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:07 AM   #86
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
Odat-
You are locked in for the full MSRP and tax. You paid 50% down. Shows you are serious.
Only issue I see is if there is a Rolex price increase before the watch comes in. I would say that the dealer locked in the $12,400 price and is bound by it. Dealer will say $12,400 was the price on that day but when the watch arrived, the price was higher and the dealer had to pay more for the watch. Hopefully you won't have this come up.
Good luck with the purchase. I was able to purchase one of the first white dial ceramic Daytona's that my dealer received in November, 2016, around 7 months after Basel release. I was first on list the same day it was released at Basel and had been a good customer for several watches before that time. I also have the stainless model with black dial that was discontinued when the ceramic came out (Model 116520) Both are awesome!
Keep us posted about your transaction.
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:01 PM   #87
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Have you talked to the AD to see what would be their stand if there's increase in MSRP? It could be different from AD to AD.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 03:09 AM   #88
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
To be on the list that short is great. But do make sure and make it clear in writing that the price you will pay for the watch will be whatever the retail price it is at that time NOT the market price. It happen to me long long time ago that somehow I find an authorized dealer that have the watch, wire the deposit, but when I picked up the watch they asking me to pay the market price for it. So, I get something else instead.
Carrera_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 04:27 AM   #89
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera_2 View Post
To be on the list that short is great. But do make sure and make it clear in writing that the price you will pay for the watch will be whatever the retail price it is at that time NOT the market price. It happen to me long long time ago that somehow I find an authorized dealer that have the watch, wire the deposit, but when I picked up the watch they asking me to pay the market price for it. So, I get something else instead.
I called them and the salesperson said the price is locked in. When I asked if I can have it in writing, they said you have our word :-). I’m hoping I get it sooner than later. I was reading in another thread that the supply of the hulk might be increasing so hopefully the same happens with the Daytona.

I never ever ever thought I’d pay retail plus tax for a Watch. Out of the 60 plus watches ive owned(Omegas, Breitlings and so on), I have always gotten a good chunk off msrp but the Daytona is different. I’ve never really liked any Rolex except when I saw the new Ceramic Daytona. I knew I had to have it :-)
Old 21 January 2018, 08:51 AM   #90
OTX
"TRF" Member

I read a post here on the Rolex forum where someone mentioned that he had a friend who is a manager at a Rolex AD and that the way the waiting list works is, people who pay full are first in line and then are followed by people who put deposits. Do you think I’ll get it faster if I go ahead and pay the remaining balance?.