The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2024, 05:31 AM   #1
Afergie94
"TRF" Member

124270 explorer vs WSSA0029 santos de catier

Hi everyone,

So my as 30th bday looms, I am looking to add a new piece to my collection (currently have a BB58 navy and a Grand seiko sbgx259 white dial). I have tried both watches on, love them both but can only afford to add one to the collection right now. However I probably could afford another one in a year or so.

I have been on the waitlist for a 124270 since 17 September 2023, however I have no prior purchase history, and my local AD is located in the centre of Edinburgh (pretty upmarket city with a lot of people visiting this AD). I also wasn't given a timeframe for when I may get the watch, I was just told to "be patient" which to me sounds like "you'll probably never get the call". There was also a guy on youtube who waited THREE YEARS for an exp 39mm from the exact same AD.....

I don't dress up much, and I wear casual clothes to work so the explorer would be a better fit to my collection right now. Conversely, the santos looks a lot more special and has more of a "wow" factor, which I feel my collection may need at this point, as the tudor and GS are versatile enough to wear with casual clothes. I also am aware that buying the santos may help me get the explorer at retail since I'd have purchase history.

Do I grab the santos and await the explorer? or just grab an explorer (pretty good grey prices atm) and carry on with life, maybe adding a santos in a couple of years? I feel there the former is the obvious one, but the santos would sit in my watch roll a bit as it's probably a bit dressy for my work, whereas the explorer would be going straight on the wrist, albeit perhaps with a wandering mind of what a more special and spectacular looking watch like the santos would have been like..... Essay finished.

Thanks in advance.
Afergie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 07:17 AM   #2
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
I'm Glasgow based and know which AD you are talking about.

They are generally a decent outfit, but as you say they'll most likely have a lot of clients. A friend of mine is good friends with the owners and waited nearly 3 years for his BLRO.

If I was you, i'd buy the Santos now and expect the Explorer in a couple of years.

Personally, I prefer the Santos. I picked up a green dialed Santos (L) a few weeks ago and love it. Can be dressed up or down, and the ability to quickly swap between the bracelet and the supplied leather strap withe the quick change system gives lots of options.

Yes, the Santos is more "dressy" but you already have an easy everyday watch in the BB58 and the very versitile GS. The Santos is quite different to both.

Having said that, I find the Santos much more versitile than you might think. I'll happily wear it to a black tie event, or with my more usual jeans and t shirt and it works with both.

It definitely also has more wow factor and is a joy to wear. The Santos probably has more historically significance than the Explorer too.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 07:42 AM   #3
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, based on what you already own, the GS would fulfill the role of a 'dressier' piece in the collection so I'd go for the Explorer. Sounds like you will get more wear out of this too. A Rolex to mark a milestone birthday also a perfect way to celebrate.

Maybe cast the net a bit further if you're struggling with your AD. Otherwise, buy from a secondary dealer - market prices aren't that much higher over MSRP, and maybe in a few months by the time of your birthday, they may have reduced further.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 06:21 PM   #4
Afergie94
"TRF" Member

Cheers for the reply, ye there's currently a 2021 model for £6400 on subdial and two 2023 models for £6900 on watchfinder, all with B and P, so the prices aren't too bad at all.
Old 15 January 2024, 06:35 PM   #5
Afergie94
"TRF" Member

Yep good old Laings. They have always been really friendly when I go in tbf. Ultimately only I'll know what decision to make but it helpful hearing from people like yourself who have stories of people in similiar situations and how long they waited. Does the santos get a lot of looks/attention? It's nice getting compliments on a watch etc but I don't want it to be too "loud" if that makes sense.
Old 15 January 2024, 06:52 PM   #6
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Explorer for the win.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 06:54 PM   #7
TwoToneHappy
"TRF" Member

Santos is a fantastic classy watch - I would suggest you think about what would suit your style best and go for that. I would say that in all likelihood if your heart is set on an Explorer get that now. I suspect you might end up with both at some point down the line. Also be aware Cartier still hasn’t put its prices up in 2024 so likely to do so soon…

Oh an to add - my Santos gets a lot more compliments, from both watch and non watch people, than any of my Rolexes.
TwoToneHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 07:21 PM   #8
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Buy grey market

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 08:28 PM   #9
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Sounds like the Exp is your clear first choice. Given the prices in the secondary market, I'd just buy now and forget the waiting game.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 09:01 PM   #10
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Grey market explorer ��
Scapegoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 09:14 PM   #11
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
sounds like the exp is your clear first choice. Given the prices in the secondary market, i'd just buy now and forget the waiting game.
+1
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 09:35 PM   #12
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Santos by far, I have the large and every time I look down at my wrist it gives me a smile.

Santos is classic and sporty, go for it
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 10:05 PM   #13
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

For sure you need to put your money where it will be most appreciated by you - get the one you prefer. If that’s the Explore, then just go grey and be done with it. For me, I would pick that Santos 100 time over the explorer. It was the first purpose built men’s wrist watch after all.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 11:32 PM   #14
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
You BB58 is a great daily and your GS can likely act as casual or lean a bit more dressy.

Your choices, of the Exp or Santos are both excellent. Really cannot go wrong with either, especially if you think you may purchase the other a year + out from now.

From an AD, I would think the Exp is doable within a reasonable wait time. But, I wouldn’t put all your eggs at one AD. Ask around at a few others, you may get lucky earlier. If you don’t want to wait…go grey. This watch can likely be had without a massive markup.

With that said, the Santos is classic! It will wear as a dressier watch, but will definitely add a variety with a different feel to your existing timepieces. If that is good, grab the Santos now (it’s available) and pickup the Exp later when you find it at your (or another) AD.
pedersenkl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 12:38 PM   #15
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Both great watches.
GS and the Santos can lean dressier due to the polishing and SS finishing.
Getting a lot of wabi on either of them from daily wear could diminish the wear experience ?

If you want a daily I can Recomend the explorer and while I expect wait times to diminish going forward it’s always going to be a crap shoot.

The 124270 makes a magnificent daily and holds up extremely well to daily wear.
Mine has a lot of wabi on the polished and brushed surfaces but it dosnt diminish the wear experience to me.

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:41 PM   #16
MSL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270,15010,P39
Get both from the grey,timescale up to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlmloTdAvFc
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:53 PM   #17
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Both great watches. The Explorer is just plain cool!

My choice!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote