The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which watch(s) would you choose?
Pt Datograph 58 50.43%
5726/1A + 5168G 57 49.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 January 2018, 12:08 AM   #61
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Patek 5990 is a beast and I love it. I would add it now if you can. Seems like all Nautilus models are harder to get. I have the first generation Datograph and it is a great piece only thing is I’ve been thinking about selling it for the 5170p.
going to try it on at a grey dealer tomorrow. If i like it, ill see what my AD can do. Obviously i have to use the grey sellers to see it in person first.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 12:36 AM   #62
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
going to try it on at a grey dealer tomorrow. If i like it, ill see what my AD can do. Obviously i have to use the grey sellers to see it in person first.
Ha, there's some irony. Good luck!
Old 8 January 2018, 01:21 AM   #63
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Ha, there's some irony. Good luck!
my AD will source it, but if im not sure thats the one i dont really want to refuse it if they get one for me. The premium vs retail in the UK isnt huge on this one so im guessing it would be an easier source than the 5524g or 5712.

Plus its always fun to "showroom" grey dealers and not buy anything. They have all the stock so they deserve some tire kickers too.
Old 8 January 2018, 01:35 AM   #64
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
my AD will source it, but if im not sure thats the one i dont really want to refuse it if they get one for me. The premium vs retail in the UK isnt huge on this one so im guessing it would be an easier source than the 5524g or 5712.

Plus its always fun to "showroom" grey dealers and not buy anything. They have all the stock so they deserve some tire kickers too.
Def one to try on first, I'm not a fan of the logo being at the bottom of the dial on watches, makes them a little faceless for me.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 01:39 AM   #65
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Def one to try on first, I'm not a fan of the logo being at the bottom of the dial on watches, makes them a little faceless for me.
thats my only issue with the watch, otherwise its perfect. At first i thought it was the hidden logo which you cant see unless you run the chrono, but its not that. Its the fact the "home" and "local" font looks bigger than the Patek Philippe writing. Its almost like "local home" is the brand of the watch.

Pics can be deceiving though as i have learned before and I cant be sure of a perceived flaw without seeing it in person.
Old 8 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #66
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:

Two PP AD’s advised they could supply me a 5990 this year with ease.

Funnily both said 2019 for the 5712a and 5167a
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Two PP AD’s advised they could supply me a 5990 this year with ease.

Funnily both said 2019 for the 5712a and 5167a
great to know. Thanks

Im guessing a blue dial is coming if i was betting. I still think with my two blue dial Pateks I would still go with the black dial if the 5990 ends up being the one, so no need to wait out Basel.
Old 8 January 2018, 02:22 AM   #68
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
great to know. Thanks

Im guessing a blue dial is coming if i was betting. I still think with my two blue dial Pateks I would still go with the black dial if the 5990 ends up being the one, so no need to wait out Basel.
One I have prior purchases with the other I popped in when window shopping and got talking with the manager.

Both out of London so this might have some bearing, but your supply via Wempe has been good so I’m sure they’ll look after you.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 02:25 AM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
One I have prior purchases with the other I popped in when window shopping and got talking with the manager.

Both out of London so this might have some bearing, but your supply via Wempe has been good so I’m sure they’ll look after you.
one of these days im going to ask for a 5711 just to see what the deal is, but ive wisely stayed away from that topic thus far which has been a good strategy I think. None of my watches are easy to get, but it helped with the relationship that my first ask was not a 5711.

5990 is obviously not as in demand but the production is probably way lower too so it might end up being timing more than anything.
Old 8 January 2018, 09:46 AM   #70
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
thats my only issue with the watch, otherwise its perfect. At first i thought it was the hidden logo which you cant see unless you run the chrono, but its not that. Its the fact the "home" and "local" font looks bigger than the Patek Philippe writing. Its almost like "local home" is the brand of the watch.

Pics can be deceiving though as i have learned before and I cant be sure of a perceived flaw without seeing it in person.
I’ve tried the 5990 on quite a few times, and it is phenomenal. Sits a bit nicer on the wrist than the 5980 as the case back is flatter.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:08 AM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I’ve tried the 5990 on quite a few times, and it is phenomenal. Sits a bit nicer on the wrist than the 5980 as the case back is flatter.
saw it today. wow. now i really dont know what to do as there is another viable option in the mix.
Old 9 January 2018, 10:46 AM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
saw it today. wow. now i really dont know what to do as there is another viable option in the mix.
I would wait a bit and then go see it again, and the Dato on the same day if possible. Sometimes the positive surprise can make a watch seem more impressive than it does on second sight with now raised expectations, so that is usually my test.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 07:01 PM   #73
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would wait a bit and then go see it again, and the Dato on the same day if possible. Sometimes the positive surprise can make a watch seem more impressive than it does on second sight with now raised expectations, so that is usually my test.
i tried the datograph on yesterday. too thick for my taste, also i found the dial too contrived. worse so with zeitwerk. no like but that is just me. btw, no those langes are surely no value proposition. ADs sell for 15-20% discount to good clients.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 07:05 PM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i tried the datograph on yesterday. too thick for my taste, also i found the dial too contrived. worse so with zeitwerk. no like but that is just me. btw, no those langes are surely no value proposition. ADs sell for 15-20% discount to good clients.
the zeitwerk i love, but its a watch i think that might have long term issues keeping my attention, the dato i think would be a keeper. ALS is a tough call for me because of the fact I never know if a watch is a keeper or not for sure until a few months of ownership and an ALS is harder and more painful to move.

Patek is safer in that regard as i do feel more comfortable in buying a sports model without being 100% sure as its not hard or painful to move it. But, my PP's are the only watches ive owned that I have never had a thought to flip and they are the easiest and most cost effective ones to do it with. Go figure.
Old 9 January 2018, 08:10 PM   #75
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

5990 is an awesome watch. I always thought it was harder to get than the 5524G
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 08:42 PM   #76
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
5990 is an awesome watch. I always thought it was harder to get than the 5524G
I really dont know. Im just basing that off how much above retail each one is. The 5990 is the lowest premium, but its also the most expensive of the three to start with.
Old 9 January 2018, 08:56 PM   #77
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I really dont know. Im just basing that off how much above retail each one is. The 5990 is the lowest premium, but its also the most expensive of the three to start with.
Premium is similar for the 2 watches even though 5990 has a higher MSRP. I had to wait longer for the 5990 compared to the 5524G. I prefer the 5990 over the Datograph.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 12:57 AM   #78
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I can't believe the 5167A is such a big hassle.
I walked in the PP dealer in Florence and they had one in the window.

5990 - way too big IMO.

To the OP. I'd get the ALS.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 05:29 PM   #79
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

A no brainer...I'll take the Dato!
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 07:19 PM   #80
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
somewhere in between 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. depending on how hot it is. Not huge wrists but im 6'5 so i can carry a larger watch. The AP's wear much larger than most 44's and those do wear ok, but very borderline.

5524G is the perfect size of watch for me, exactly. So all the considerations are pretty close to that. The PP's slightly smaller and the ALS a bit thicker.
If you have already tried the dato and you're OK with the thickness, judging from your frame I'd say go for it.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote