The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2018, 02:46 PM   #31
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
If you want the watch and are okay with an open ended timeline as to when you will get to the top of the list, go ahead and put the deposit down. Make sure to get something in writing that you can get your full deposit back at anytime should you want to. Also understand that VIP customers may take priority over you or the 5 other people that are in front of you on the list. I seriously doubt the AD will lock in the $12,400 price for you, even if you paid for it in full today. The AD has no idea how long it will take to get you the watch, nor do they know what MSRP will be at the time you are allocated the watch. I bet you will pay whatever MSRP is at that time. You have nothing to lose by placing the deposit with the option to get your deposit fully refunded at anytime to you should you want.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 06:33 PM   #32
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
My AD in San Diego received exactly two SS Daytona’s last year. I’m on the list but it’s going to be a long wait.

They have a two tone and a gold Daytona in stock though.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 06:45 PM   #33
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
My experience with waiting lists is that they tend to be fluid. try and negotiate a date by which if the AD can't deliver then you get your deposit back. Do it in writing that way its not so open ended at least.
Good Luck
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:29 PM   #34
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What happened to simplification

Lol. That went out the window when I saw it for the first time. Two can work.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:43 PM   #35
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Lol. That went out the window when I saw it for the first time. Two can work.

I hear that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 12:47 AM   #36
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Unless I was sure that this particular actually had a list with a numerical order of priority and that by placing my deposit on the list I’d ensure that spot. I think however most AD’s don’t follow a true list so I’d be very skeptical to ever place a deposit. Too much unknown for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2018, 12:56 AM   #37
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I’d be pretty surprised if they really only had five people on their list, especially if your AD is any where near Houston.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:05 AM   #38
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
I’d be pretty surprised if they really only had five people on their list, especially if your AD is any where near Houston.
They are about 2.5 hours from Houston so it’s believable I guess.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:11 AM   #39
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odat View Post
They are about 2.5 hours from Houston so it’s believable I guess.
I travel a good deal for work and I’d pop into ADs in some fairly small towns. Everyone had waiting lists of at least twenty. I thought for sure I’d be able to score one from one of these smaller more rural ADs, but to no avail. I’m still on a bunch of lists in various places, but it was my AD in the NYC area that came through for me in the end. Good luck with your hunt.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:27 AM   #40
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
[QUOTE=Odat;8182631]I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt

Why not just ask the AD?

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #41
OTX
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Justinmg;8184215]
Quote:
I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt

Why not just ask the AD?
I just wanted to get other people’s experiences on this subject. To make sure thngs are done the right way.
Old 14 January 2018, 02:59 AM   #42
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’d be curious to know how many folks scored a Daytona from an AD that they had previously never bought a watch from. Call me a skeptic but I just don’t see it happening much if ever.

Old 14 January 2018, 03:01 AM   #43
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
My AD has no list, buy require that you buy a PM to get one.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 03:03 AM   #44
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Umm no thanks. As I've said before, most ADS will throw the list to the curb when it comes to these type watches. Preferred watches go to preferred customers. I'm willing to bet the list is 90% first time buyers at that location. It's the case in town and the other places I've shopped before. They want your repeat business, not a one and done. I believe in old school type business. Relationships are key. I decided I wanted one 2 months ago. I have one. Another en route. It is what it is. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
JM0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 03:07 AM   #45
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’d be curious to know how many folks scored a Daytona from an AD that they had previously never bought a watch from. Call me a skeptic but I just don’t see it happening much if ever.

Kinda my point. I've talked with my AD extensively. I got the next one in the door and the following one after that. There may be 60 on the list for one here locally. Funny how I decided I wanted one 2 months ago and I wasn't on 'the list'. Probably buy 4 to 5 a year on average. I have a problem. I know. I'm working through it. Most items within reason I get in a reasonable amount of time. They want you to come back. Building relationships.....

Old 14 January 2018, 03:08 AM   #46
JM0127
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Odat;8184221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post

I just wanted to get other people’s experiences on this subject. To make sure thngs are done the right way.
Right way is buy from the AD and not a penny up front. That's good business. I don't bid a 1M job without first having 1M in cash to complete it. Much less a 50k job. It's good business.

Old 14 January 2018, 08:39 AM   #47
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Can someone speak to how many Daytona’s are allocated per dealer a year ? At a large volume retailer I spoke to the other day, they claimed to have received 5 or 6 last year. Seems pretty low for a large volume AD to me.

Old 14 January 2018, 08:49 AM   #48
pgrandster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500/116710BLNR
I had a pretty good relationship with my AD, so I didn’t put a deposit down. Then again, I asked for either the black or the white dial and got the the black dial after about 7 months. The white dial is the really hard one to get.

Watches: 116710BLNR 116500LN
In Memoriam: 216570, 116600, 116610LN, PAM359
pgrandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:52 AM   #49
Jsc37
"TRF" Member

Got

Quote:
Can someone speak to how many Daytona’s are allocated per dealer a year ? At a large volume retailer I spoke to the other day, they claimed to have received 5 or 6 last year. Seems pretty low for a large volume AD to me.

I just was at a high volume AD picking up a watch from service...he saw I was wearing my ceramic D that I purchased from a different AD and we got into a pretty good convo that I believe was honest since I already had one. He said they got 4 or 5 last year and that they don’t keep a list but only sell to VIPs.
Jsc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 08:57 AM   #50
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My AD has gotten 13 in 2017. 8 white 5 black. Averaging about one month. The initial release was 6 white third quarter 16. We are in a small area. Other AD that just retired had 7 white initially and 1 black in 6 months. There was a Rolex Daytona show here in late October and they brought in 6 in 3 of each separate from dealer inventory. That's where I ordered mine or was placed on 'the list'

Old 14 January 2018, 08:58 AM   #51
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM0127 View Post
My AD has gotten 13 in 2017. 8 white 5 black. Averaging about one month. The initial release was 6 white third quarter 16. We are in a small area. Other AD that just retired had 7 white initially and 1 black in 6 months. There was a Rolex Daytona show here in late October and they brought in 6 in 3 of each separate from dealer inventory. That's where I ordered mine or was placed on 'the list'

That seems more believable.

Old 17 January 2018, 09:04 AM   #52
OTX
"TRF" Member

Just called and put down a 50% deposit plus half the tax on the white ceramic Daytona and she confirmed verbally I can get my refund anytime. She emailed the receipt and all is good. Let the waiting begin :-)
Old 17 January 2018, 04:39 PM   #53
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just called and put down a 50% deposit plus half the tax on the white ceramic Daytona and she confirmed verbally I can get my refund anytime. She emailed the receipt and all is good. Let the waiting begin :-)
I'm sorry, but call me old school. It's bs taking money from some one on a chance or crap shoot. As a dealer, it costs nothing to order the watch. You get what you get or what you're able to find. Taking a half net cost up front when the deliverable item could be days or years away is ludacrious IMO. I have never or will never put money up front for anything, especially a watch. That be a job by a contractor or whomever does work for me. If you cannot front the cost of the job, the job isn't for you. I don't bid a $1M job without first having the funds liquid to pay for the job. If someone asks me for money up front that works for me, they no longer work for me. I'm not one to front your bad spending habits or poor decisions. I'd cautious about the refund. What does the receipt say? Not the associate, the receipt. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. In writing, not hopes and dreams. This may sound harsh but this really rubs me the wrong way. Sorry. Hope it works out for you. I wish you the best.

Old 17 January 2018, 05:32 PM   #54
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I’m not sure how exactly you expect Odat to get the watch then short of spending big bucks on a PM or buying a bunch of DJ or other watches that he doesn’t want. Odat has 3 choices right now:
1. Buy grey dealer and pay a 50% premium
2. Put a 50% refundable deposit down and wait
3. Be a VIP and buy a bunch of watches he doesn’t want.

Unless he has a lot of disposable income option 3 isn’t likely.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:35 PM   #55
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I’m not sure how exactly you expect Odat to get the watch then short of spending big bucks on a PM or buying a bunch of DJ or other watches that he doesn’t want. Odat has 3 choices right now:
1. Buy grey dealer and pay a 50% premium
2. Put a 50% refundable deposit down and wait
3. Be a VIP and buy a bunch of watches he doesn’t want.

Unless he has a lot of disposable income option 3 isn’t likely.
I get it. Just not the way I'd do business. The thing that gets me is the "verbally confirming" the refund. Again, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove. PERIOD. Just because she sounded nice and said "sure, it's refundable no matter how long it takes.". Say she leaves and new person comes in. Nothing in writing to go on, nothing to stand on at all. Business is business and should be treated as such. Many folks today think with something other than their brain. People in retail or any business for that matter, are not your friends. They're in it for themselves to take care of their own. Point is, get it in writing. Don't take anyone's word for anything. Especially over the phone where you cannot look them in the eye and see if they're completely full of it. Business is built on relationships; Primarily of trust between two parties. Trust goes but so far, the rest is in writing. You need legs to stand. Don't cut them out from under you. Always cover yourself.
Old 18 January 2018, 12:07 AM   #56
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Pretty sure Texas consumer laws don't truly allow for a non-refundable deposit...on anything. Car dealers here will have wait lists for hot models, deposits weed out the lookie loos, but if you want to back out they have to return your money. A vendor can't charge someone for delivering "nothing."
Odat will be fine. Hope it pans out for him although I also believe lists are fictional for the most part.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:12 AM   #57
Sprta
"TRF" Member

He also has a receipt stating the deposit amount and hopefully the balance. In his position I believe he took the best option for getting the watch.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #58
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
He also has a receipt stating the deposit amount and hopefully the balance. In his position I believe he took the best option for getting the watch.
By all means I hope it does. If one comes up here I'll post. I got my second the other day. Waiting for a white myself.

Old 18 January 2018, 12:38 AM   #59
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
[QUOTE=JM0127;8184470]
Quote:
Right way is buy from the AD and not a penny up front. That's good business. I don't bid a 1M job without first having 1M in cash to complete it. Much less a 50k job. It's good business.

This is the right way.

If I ever put a deposit down on a watch (which I likely would not) I would make sure that if I changed my mind I would get my money back.

My .02 on deposits:

A deposit really makes no sense at an AD, nor does it guarantee your 'place' in 'line' to receive a certAin watch-- as most of them have no idea when the watch Will get there until it arrives. But...I know some ADs are 'requiring' them....

If you're comfortable with it and you definitely want the watch...go for it.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:57 AM   #60
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Hello folks,

Need advice. I called around all the official Rolex dealers in my area and they all have crazy waiting lists. The Rolex boutique around here even stopped taking names down. Many out of town ADs won’t even deal with you if you are not local so I gave up on out of state ADs. I found one Rolex AD who said they had 5 people on the waiting list for the white Daytona Ceramic and that I would have to pay half down as a deposit to get on the list. They said they get about 1 every 4 months. They said msrp is $12,400 so I’m assuming that’s the price. These people have been in business for over 25 years.

Would you do it?. Also, is it safe to pay the deposit over the phone?. Also, if Rolex increases the price, is the msrp locked in at the time I put the deposit?. How long do you think it’ll be until you can just get one without waiting?. Thanks!
Nope...wouldn't even remotely consider doing that. Tie up $6.2k to be waiting for, by their estimate, almost two years? No way.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote