The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2018, 04:42 AM   #31
off
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & GMT
My first experience with the new clasp and bracelet was 12 years ago when I was gifted a 116261 as a wedding present. Before that, I was wearing a 1601 that has been in the family from new since 1971.

My first impression was the new bracelet and clasp was more substantial, and over time it seemed my wrist had to conform to it. And of course I have to give it the nod on construction and quality.

Going back to the old 1601 and its 6251H clasp, it felt so comfortable, so familiar. And any concerns about it durability or quality were quickly brushed aside, it's been on the same watch for 47 years!

So I had never had a GMT, and my mind was set on the Bat after seeing my nephew's. Then I ran across a 1675, and something about it really turned me on to the vintage sports watches. I eventually settled on a matte dial 8.2 mil 16750.

Again upon wearing the old GMT with its 78360 clasp, it again felt so comfortable, so familiar, with the same quality feel as my 1601. The watch is so satisfying as a whole I currently have no desire to currently seek the newer model. Not that I don't like the Bat, it'll probably end up in the collection, it's just the vintage bug hit!

For those that have not had the older style clasp bracelet, they just have not lived with one long enough to realize what quality pieces they still are.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:23 AM   #32
JohnGaltJD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
My first experience with the new clasp and bracelet was 12 years ago when I was gifted a 116261 as a wedding present. Before that, I was wearing a 1601 that has been in the family from new since 1971.

My first impression was the new bracelet and clasp was more substantial, and over time it seemed my wrist had to conform to it. And of course I have to give it the nod on construction and quality.

Going back to the old 1601 and its 6251H clasp, it felt so comfortable, so familiar. And any concerns about it durability or quality were quickly brushed aside, it's been on the same watch for 47 years!

So I had never had a GMT, and my mind was set on the Bat after seeing my nephew's. Then I ran across a 1675, and something about it really turned me on to the vintage sports watches. I eventually settled on a matte dial 8.2 mil 16750.

Again upon wearing the old GMT with its 78360 clasp, it again felt so comfortable, so familiar, with the same quality feel as my 1601. The watch is so satisfying as a whole I currently have no desire to currently seek the newer model. Not that I don't like the Bat, it'll probably end up in the collection, it's just the vintage bug hit!

For those that have not had the older style clasp bracelet, they just have not lived with one long enough to realize what quality pieces they still are.

This is what I needed to hear. Thank you, I will approach my next in the flesh viewing with your description in my head. I love the watch and it seems my initial reaction to the bracelet was brash and uninformed.

Thank you all for the helpful information (especially those that repeated themselves to get through my thick head).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnGaltJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:05 AM   #33
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGaltJD View Post
Flimsy and cheap may have been poor word choices. I guess I was curious why the bracelet on the 16710 felt so much different than on my 5 digit yacht-master. I assumed the only difference was polished center links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From memory the YM you have has solid centre links (like the 6 digit bracelets) whereas the 16710 has hollow centre links. Hence the difference.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:39 AM   #34
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Will share my same response as I did on WUS, :)

Full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of 5-digit references; especially sport models. So my vote is certainly for the 16710. Why? See below:

* Proportions: you mention the 6-digit looked fine. That's great but what did you think about the 5-digit? Off the wrist, I think the 5-digit looks better proportioned overall. See the picture below...aesthetically, the lugs and hour markers are too large in my opinion.
* Versatility: 5-digit reference can have different "looks". Bezel inserts are easily interchangeable. Straps/natos look better on older references as well. (in my opinion)
* History: 5-digit references are discontinued and are seeing some relatively large value increases lately...and I'd think that would continue since Rolex is not making any more of them.
* Bracelet: Have to admit, the newer models have much nicer bracelets. But I'd say the 78360s (which is what is likely to be on a 5-digit GMT) aren't THAT bad...but I'm biased, :)

Old 17 January 2018, 07:45 AM   #35
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
my 'Pepsi' is 22 years young, wears and looks perfect. I will never trade and or sell that watch.......... nuff said !
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:48 AM   #36
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
* Bracelet: Have to admit, the newer models have much nicer bracelets. But I'd say the 78360s (which is what is likely to be on a 5-digit GMT) aren't THAT bad...but I'm biased, :)
The earliest 16710s had the 78360, but most of them came with the 78790...with the flip-lock clasp.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:53 AM   #37
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
my 'Pepsi' is 22 years young, wears and looks perfect. I will never trade and or sell that watch.......... nuff said !
Newcomers to the brand are much less likely to appreciate the charm and character of the 4- and 5-digit foundational models that made Rolex the iconic company that it is today. The heritage is sadly lost on them. The OP said himself that until his recent encounter he had never even seen a Rolex GMT in the flesh, which is unfathomable to me.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:18 AM   #38
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
The earliest 16710s had the 78360, but most of them came with the 78790...with the flip-lock clasp.
OH yes...in fact I have a 78790 on mine,
Old 17 January 2018, 10:34 AM   #39
EZANO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi 16710
I have 7" wrists and my 16710 Pepsi fits like a glove. It's perfect. My advice: get a 5 digit ASAP. The prices are going up monthly and that likely won't subside anytime soon. If after a few weeks or months you decide it's not for you, flip it (probably for a profit) for a 6 digit.
EZANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:51 AM   #40
Overbias
"TRF" Member

I, like you, agonized over this exact question. In the end though I reasoned that I was buying a watch not a bracelet. I prioritized technology and materials features, if you will, for the parachrom and ceramic over the elegance of the classic bracelet and case styling. I don’t think anyone else has mentioned that?
Overbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:55 AM   #41
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Would recommend buying neither - at $10k you should love the watch you are buying rather than being worrried about not being totally satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 01:42 PM   #42
KeepTheTime
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing our picture! The original post that this photo belongs to is: Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 vs. 116710 IIc with a video that compares the two watches side-by-side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
Will share my same response as I did on WUS, :)

Full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of 5-digit references; especially sport models. So my vote is certainly for the 16710. Why? See below:

* Proportions: you mention the 6-digit looked fine. That's great but what did you think about the 5-digit? Off the wrist, I think the 5-digit looks better proportioned overall. See the picture below...aesthetically, the lugs and hour markers are too large in my opinion.
* Versatility: 5-digit reference can have different "looks". Bezel inserts are easily interchangeable. Straps/natos look better on older references as well. (in my opinion)
* History: 5-digit references are discontinued and are seeing some relatively large value increases lately...and I'd think that would continue since Rolex is not making any more of them.

KeepTheTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:34 AM   #43
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
You have chosen well in the 16622. Just after you got yours the sandblast platinum dial became finer and lost a certain sparkle.
Your 16622 has down turned lugs which give great fit and comfort.
The vintage Pepsi would settle down on you, so I feel you should chose between the dials of 5 digit vs 6 digit.
5 digit will offer charm with patinaed lume. 6 digit won’t.
I don’t think many would not have a preference.
If you really can’t decide, get the vintage 5 digit, as it offers value and will only appreciate. You can always buy the 6 digit anytime.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote