The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
T-Man
"TRF" Member

Tax when buying a Rolex watch in the US and bring it to Korea?

Hi,

I am a U.S. citizen living in California.
I am planning to buy a Rolex watch here and give it to a friend in Korea as a gift. I was wondering whether there would be any tax issue in this case.

1> Will I need to pay any tax for the watch in Korea customs?

2> Will I need to pay any tax if I buy the watch at a duty free Rolex shop in the U.S. and bring it to Korea? In this case, is it okay to bring the box and the warranty card with the watch?

3> Will there be any difference between buying the watch at a retail shop and buying it at duty free shop in the U.S. when bringing it to Korea?

Thanks in advance for any help!
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:47 PM   #2
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
1 - yes - unless you choose to try to smuggle it in (not generally recommended)
2- yes
3 - no
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:05 PM   #3
stamsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: this/ hold my beer
Hypothetically speaking, one could wear the watch and ship the box prior to leaving.
stamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:21 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamsd View Post
Hypothetically speaking, one could wear the watch and ship the box prior to leaving.
Yes this would be known as smuggling hypothetically of course since no sane or moral person would do that right?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:52 PM   #5
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes this would be known as smuggling hypothetically of course since no sane or moral person would do that right?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:09 PM   #6
stamsd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would it? He is a US citizen buying a watch in the US. If you buy a watch and pay taxes at the time of sale, are you not the owner of the watch? What you do with it when you travel is nobody's business. If the OP was not paying taxes or importing it, that would be another issue.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:18 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would it? He is a US citizen buying a watch in the US. If you buy a watch and pay taxes at the time of sale, are you not the owner of the watch? What you do with it when you travel is nobody's business. If the OP was not paying taxes or importing it, that would be another issue.
In his description he intends to import the watch to Korea to give to someone. If you are advocating violating international customs laws that is your choice.

He needs to consult Korean Customs authorities. Or purchase it in Korea and gift it there.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 16 January 2018, 11:27 PM   #8
stamsd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In his description he intends to import the watch to Korea to give to someone. If you are advocating violating international customs laws that is your choice.

He needs to consult Korean Customs authorities. Or purchase it in Korea and gift it there.
I really do want to be educated here and not argue. Do you mean to tell me that if you visit someone outside of the US (as this example states) and give your (lets say) 2 year old wristwatch to the person you are visiting, he should pay taxes on it? Just because it will be newer when it arrives in Korea does not (in my opinion) mean the recipient should pay taxes. The OP bought a piece of property in the US and paid taxes on it. Does he not have the right to give it to whom he chooses? The person receiving did not pay for and import it. It's a gift.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:46 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really do want to be educated here and not argue. Do you mean to tell me that if you visit someone outside of the US (as this example states) and give your (lets say) 2 year old wristwatch to the person you are visiting, he should pay taxes on it? Just because it will be newer when it arrives in Korea does not (in my opinion) mean the recipient should pay taxes. The OP bought a piece of property in the US and paid taxes on it. Does he not have the right to give it to whom he chooses? The person receiving did not pay for and import it. It's a gift.
Quote:
I am planning to buy a Rolex watch here and give it to a friend in Korea as a gift. I was wondering whether there would be any tax issue in this case. ]
It is not a two year old product. It is brand new bought specifically for the purpose of importation.

State sales tax in the US had nothing to do with the issue.

I cannot comment on what Korean customs would do except to look at their website.

Quote:
Korea also maintains a tariff quota system designed to stabilize domestic commodity markets. Customs duties can be adjusted every six months, within the limit of the basic rate, plus or minus 40 percent.

Korea has a flat 10 percent Value Added Tax (VAT) on all imports and domestically-manufactured goods. A special excise tax of 10-20 percent is also levied on the importation of certain luxury items and durable consumer goods. Tariffs and taxes must be paid in Korean Won within 15 days after goods have cleared Customs.
https://2016.export.gov/southkorea/d...ards/index.asp
Old 17 January 2018, 12:55 AM   #10
peterpl
Banned

just wear the watch back and send the back the box in the mail. Simple.

I know that is what you want to hear.

AND by talking to numerous gray market dealers in a few countries that I often travel for work people shouldn't be so naive to think they are paying the duties as well. Far far from it that's where a lot of the profit comes from.

Not the right thing to do but very common.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:08 AM   #11
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
just wear the watch back and send the back the box in the mail. Simple.

I know that is what you want to hear.

AND by talking to numerous gray market dealers in a few countries that I often travel for work people shouldn't be so naive to think they are paying the duties as well. Far far from it that's where a lot of the profit comes from.

Not the right thing to do but very common.
know many people do this...
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:57 AM   #12
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I would advise taking the watch along with the sales receipt to a US Customs office before your trip. They will give you a form proving you owed the watch prior to the trip. This form will allow you to reenter the US without having to pay Customs duties. If you reenter with a new watch, box, and papers; you might have issues proving you didn’t buy the watch outside the US. Buying the watch with the intent to sell without paying applicable taxes can be big problems.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:27 AM   #13
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
You will have to complete a US Customs declaration. Ownership, cost, etc. This must be done before any shipper will accept. The first stop is US Customs, as to Korea, you need to check with that country's import laws.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
You need to get out more.

It does not matter. If you are taking anything from one country and leaving it behind in another country, you are importing that item.

What you believe is irrelevant, you must abide by a countries import/export laws. International wars have been fought over importing stuff and if you ignore a countries import requirements, it is smuggling.

Those who advocate "just wear it and ship the box" are advocating breaking import/export law and some countries will throw you in prison, not just slap you on the wrist.
Old 17 January 2018, 08:13 AM   #15
Leungtennis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller4k
If you act like the watch is yours, you will be fine. How would customs know you were trying to give it or sell it in Korea?

If you want to be super safe, you could wear the watch, leave the boxes and papers at home, and then drop it off the next time you go (or when your friend visits the states).
Leungtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:17 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leungtennis View Post
If you act like the watch is yours, you will be fine. How would customs know you were trying to give it or sell it in Korea?

If you want to be super safe, you could wear the watch, leave the boxes and papers at home, and then drop it off the next time you go (or when your friend visits the states).
Did you read the post right above yours?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:22 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You need to get out more.

It does not matter. If you are taking anything from one country and leaving it behind in another country, you are importing that item.

What you believe is irrelevant, you must abide by a countries import/export laws. International wars have been fought over importing stuff and if you ignore a countries import requirements, it is smuggling.

Those who advocate "just wear it and ship the box" are advocating breaking import/export law and some countries will throw you in prison, not just slap you on the wrist.
Thank you.
Old 17 January 2018, 10:34 PM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

If you own the watch, wear it from the US to Korea, and take it off your wrist and give it to someone, don’t see how this is trackable. upon leaving Korea are they going to want to see your wrist?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:41 PM   #19
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I went to Korea in 2012 and took several watches with me, but they were not Rolexes (Panerais and Breitlings) with zero issue. I did not carry the B&Ps with me. As others have said, the proper thing to do is declare the item and it’s not responsible to recommend anyone not declare something.
Old 22 January 2018, 05:41 PM   #20
T-Man
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much everyone for comments. I think I'd better check Korea customs rules.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote