The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Grey market watches automatic void warranty?

Just came across this article. It states

“when you buy a watch from an authorized dealer, you also get a little green card with your information and the Authorized Dealer’s stamp. This warranty card is just not transferable anymore since the Rolex warranty policy update.
As a consequence, when you buy a Rolex from the grey market, you do not have any more a warranty coming with your watch. Even if you have that Rolex warranty green card, even if this card wasn’t filled out and that you can enter your name. But that’s not it yet, if you buy a Rolex preowned, the warranty is void as well and even if it is still theoretically under warranty as you weren’t the original owner in the first place.”

It then goes on to say

“Rolex checks it this way : when you buy a Rolex watch at an AD, they photocopy the filled in green warranty card and send it to Rolex. Whenever a watch is sent under warranty, Rolex checks for that photocopy and it has to match your name. If they don’t have your card in their records and you can’t provide the original bill of sale from the AD, then you bill charged for a service (see here our ultimate watch servicing guide). As a matter of fact, Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable and Rolex is willing to check.”

article link:

https://blog.toolwatch.io/watch-tips...olicy-updated/

Is there truth behind this!?

That’s pretty absurd IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Not much truth at all in this blog. In fact in their update they state as much... "...after confirmation from another internal source at Rolex, warranty will not be changed.."

So what is the question? Even the blog says it is not correct.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Nooo
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:20 PM   #4
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
Not much truth at all in this blog. In fact in their update they state as much... "...after confirmation from another internal source at Rolex, warranty will not be changed.."

So what is the question? Even the blog says it is not correct.

I Must have missed the context. I perceived the statement “Rolex warranty will not be changed” as “Rolex warranty will not be transferred”

Old 17 January 2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Not sure I agree with it. Why would the AD need to photocopy the card and send to Rolex? When the sell the watch, the card is swiped and the data goes to Rolex automatically. At least that's the way it works here anyway. When I took my LVc to RSC Singapore, I was told to take my warranty card. When they swiped the card, they were able to cross reference my name and address; where I purchased the watch, on what date and how much I paid for it.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:42 PM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
I Must have missed the context. I perceived the statement “Rolex warranty will not be changed” as “Rolex warranty will not be transferred”
Are you in the US? The language of the US warranty strongly suggests* that the warranty is void for third party sales - in other words, to anyone other than the original purchaser from an authorized dealer. The international warranty includes no such language, so you should be fine if you're anywhere but the US, provided that the warranty was registered by an AD at the time of original sale.

In the US, it's more about enforcement, rather than policy. Based on a strict reading of the warranty, RSCs can decline coverage to anyone other than the original purchaser. The question is, will they? I haven't ever had to send in my watch, and even if I did, I would go through my AD. However, a number of people on here report that if you ship your watch in to an RSC (rather than hand deliver it, where they will want to see the card), all they do is check to see if there is a valid warranty, rather than check to see if the name of the sender matches the name of the original customer. The general consensus here is that you can get warranty service even if you're not the original purchaser, but I have heard accounts to the contrary, including from my AD. (But again, ADs will ask to see the card if you submit the watch for service.)

* Arguably, the language is ambiguous, but it can be read to exclude third party sales. Since the international warranty cannot, it would seem the drafters of the US warranty deliberately included language to that effect.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
Just came across this article. It states

“when you buy a watch from an authorized dealer, you also get a little green card with your information and the Authorized Dealer’s stamp. This warranty card is just not transferable anymore since the Rolex warranty policy update.
As a consequence, when you buy a Rolex from the grey market, you do not have any more a warranty coming with your watch. Even if you have that Rolex warranty green card, even if this card wasn’t filled out and that you can enter your name. But that’s not it yet, if you buy a Rolex preowned, the warranty is void as well and even if it is still theoretically under warranty as you weren’t the original owner in the first place.”

It then goes on to say

“Rolex checks it this way : when you buy a Rolex watch at an AD, they photocopy the filled in green warranty card and send it to Rolex. Whenever a watch is sent under warranty, Rolex checks for that photocopy and it has to match your name. If they don’t have your card in their records and you can’t provide the original bill of sale from the AD, then you bill charged for a service (see here our ultimate watch servicing guide). As a matter of fact, Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable and Rolex is willing to check.”

article link:

https://blog.toolwatch.io/watch-tips...olicy-updated/

Is there truth behind this!?

That’s pretty absurd IMHO

As I posted on your other thread, there ma be some truth in it.

Rolex SA 5 year warranty booklets state

This guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official ROLEX Retailer, (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the official ROLEX Retailer at the time of purchase, and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to to an official Rolex retailer or to one of the Official ROLEX Service Centres listed in this manual. Any work carried out by third parties will invalidate this guarantee

To me there is no doubt that "completed in full" must therefore include the name of the party who purchased the watch in the first instance from the AD, and the date of purchase. We do know, however that Rolex appears outwith the US not to insist on presentation of the card. That is, however, a discretionary concession on Rolex's part.

What is apparent, however, is that provided the card is completed, the warranty does indeed appear to follow the watch, not the original purchaser.

Rolex Watch USA INC is quite different, however, and the booklet states:

"ROLEX WATCH USA INC will remedy any covered defect at no cost to the consumer, once the consumer delivers the watch with the original warranty card, to either (1) an official ROLEX Jeweler or (2) any of the Official ROLEX Service Centres listed in this booklet. This warranty will be valid only if (1) the watch was sold to a consumer by the Official ROLEX Jeweler whose name appears on the warranty card and (2) the warranty card is completely filled out by the Official Rolex Jeweler at the time of purchase. This warranty is void if there is any intervention by a third party, or if the watch is modified by the additin or substitution of parts not supplied by ROLEX"

What is 100% clear is that both warranties require the card to be completely filled out and presented with the watch when seeking a warranty repair. That will include name of the party who originally purchased the watch, the date of purchase and the details of the AD. That cannot be a point of dispute but we know that many Rolex Service Centres do in fact waive that requirement provided the watch is registered with Rolex and the sale date is within the warranty period.

However, what appears quite different on the US wording is that it makes specific reference to the watch being sold to a consumer (not just being sold) by an AD and the reference to the consumer delivering the watch for warranty repair (and not just that the watch needs to be presented) with the warranty card. I can see there's an argument that the person (or organisation) to whom the watch was first sold by the AD is the only one who can deliver the watch for warranty work. In other words, if you're not the original purchaser and who's name is on the card, you're not covered.

The USA wording does indeed suggest that the warranty is provided to the original purchaser only, which would tie in with the policy that the NYC RSC is adhering to.

The other intersting point on the US wording is "intervention by a third party" which could be interpreted to mean resale by a grey retailer.

What is even more interesting to consider is that (provided the Rolex SA warranty booklet lists the US RSCs), if you live in the US and bought a BNIB watch from a US grey dealer that had originally been purchased outside the US under the Rolex SA warranty terms the warranty should follow the watch and you'd be covered, but if you bought a BNIB watch from a European grey dealer that had originally been purchased within the US under the Rolex Watch USA INC warranty terms the warranty may not follow the watch and you'd not be covered.

Anyone able to confirm if all the worldwide service centres are listed in both types of booklet?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Not sure I agree with it. Why would the AD need to photocopy the card and send to Rolex? When the sell the watch, the card is swiped and the data goes to Rolex automatically. At least that's the way it works here anyway. When I took my LVc to RSC Singapore, I was told to take my warranty card. When they swiped the card, they were able to cross reference my name and address; where I purchased the watch, on what date and how much I paid for it.
Different wording for US warranty Paul. Although the photocopying bit is odd.

See my post adove

Old 17 January 2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It has always been my understanding that the warranty follows the watch.
So even if the watch gets sold 2 or 3 times within the first 5 years Rolex will still honour the warranty if there's a issue.
Just for the record, my AD photocopied the warranty cards on both Subs I bought from them last year.
I think this may have just been for there own records though and not something that was necessarily instigated by Rolex themselves.
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:11 PM   #10
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
This guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official ROLEX Retailer, (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the official ROLEX Retailer at the time of purchase, and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch,

(1) and (3) are no doubt as all the watches have an AD green cards. But for (2), how to define? what if the owner name didn't fill? or the purchase date only showed month/year?
Old 17 January 2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16610v View Post
This guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official ROLEX Retailer, (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the official ROLEX Retailer at the time of purchase, and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch,

(1) and (3) are no doubt as all the watches have an AD green cards. But for (2), how to define? what if the owner name didn't fill? or the purchase date only showed month/year?
I agree,

1)The watch can't come from anywhere else.

2) I thought the AD did this at point of sale?

3) Or the purchase receipt?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16610v View Post

You're quoting the Rolex SA waranty terms. I see your Daytona was sourced from Europe so that would make sense.

Rolex USA warranty has a different narrative (as per my post above)

I believe that Andre is US based

Old 17 January 2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
It has always been my understanding that the warranty follows the watch.
So even if the watch gets sold 2 or 3 times within the first 5 years Rolex will still honour the warranty if there's a issue.
Just for the record, my AD photocopied the warranty cards on both Subs I bought from them last year.
I think this may have just been for there own records though and not something that was necessarily instigated by Rolex themselves.
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
It does for most global regions/geographies but there's a big question mark over watches originating in the US as Rolex USA's warranty terms are different.

The article the OP has posted is in relation to the US warranty terms (although it doesn't specify that)

Old 17 January 2018, 11:09 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
So many posts on the same subject. The warranty follows the watch. Same as with a car or other item in the U.S. If the watch has the appropriate warranty card and it has been completed properly the name on the card does not matter. A service center may try to give you some guff about it but in the end they will have to service the watch per the consumer protection laws. There is no other source for Rolex watches except through the AD network. No one can buy directly from the factory so every watch in the grey market came through an AD at some point. I have had several Grey Market watches serviced at the RSC with warranty cards not in my name and I had no issues. If a buyer prefers the established AD network, no problem. If the Buyer wants to use the Grey Market and save some money and get the same watch with a warranty card then that is fine also.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:37 PM   #15
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Just buy preowned and spend $1000 getting an ASC to service it. Save big money.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:53 PM   #16
Kelvins13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner D 16610
I purchased a 16610 new in 2005, with warranty card, from an AD. It has served as my daily ever since and never made it back to another AD, not even to browse until 12 years later to be returned to Rolex for factory service which cost $700.00. My question is, is a Rolex warranty that important?
Kelvins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:57 PM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvins13 View Post
I purchased a 16610 new in 2005, with warranty card, from an AD. It has severed as my daily ever since and never made it back to another AD, not even to browse until 12 years later to be returned to Rolex for factory service which cost $700.00. Therefore, my question is, is a Rolex warranty that important?
For the most part, NO. Too many here on the forum make such a big issue out of warranty cards and is the warranty transferrable. The majority of Rolex watches will never have a warranty issue period.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:35 AM   #18
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
For the most part, NO. Too many here on the forum make such a big issue out of warranty cards and is the warranty transferrable. The majority of Rolex watches will never have a warranty issue period.

I’ve taken two watches to RSC for warranty issues so far. A Rolex OP 39 for second hand alignment issue. And a exp II for misaligned bezel. I also so many Rolex warranty related issues on this forum.

Old 18 January 2018, 12:50 AM   #19
squeaks376
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
So many posts on the same subject. The warranty follows the watch. Same as with a car or other item in the U.S. If the watch has the appropriate warranty card and it has been completed properly the name on the card does not matter. A service center may try to give you some guff about it but in the end they will have to service the watch per the consumer protection laws. There is no other source for Rolex watches except through the AD network. No one can buy directly from the factory so every watch in the grey market came through an AD at some point. I have had several Grey Market watches serviced at the RSC with warranty cards not in my name and I had no issues. If a buyer prefers the established AD network, no problem. If the Buyer wants to use the Grey Market and save some money and get the same watch with a warranty card then that is fine also.
This is exactly right. I have had warranty work done on a watch with another name on the card. No problem.
squeaks376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:28 AM   #20
Duende01
"TRF" Member

These things are "bullet-proof" why are we so concerned with warranty?
Duende01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:30 AM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
X2
Old 18 January 2018, 03:15 AM   #22
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
This is a moot discussion. First, if you buy a new Rolex from an AD, you get the warranty for how ever long the period is. 2 years 4 years or what Rolex changes as competition changes. Purchase a grey market, it will likely be past warranty time, if not send it in to RWC without the warranty card. All that will occur is that Rolex charges you for service, that would normally be included under warranty period.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #23
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
So I guess the answer is yes, no, maybe. Though I would think there would be actual examples to steer us to the real answer. Though thankfully I can't provide one as mine have allout lasted the warranty period (so far).
Old 18 January 2018, 06:28 AM   #24
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
So many posts on the same subject. The warranty follows the watch. Same as with a car or other item in the U.S. If the watch has the appropriate warranty card and it has been completed properly the name on the card does not matter....A service center may try to give you some guff about it but in the end they will have to service the watch per the consumer protection laws.
To which consumer protection laws are you referring? In the US, warranties are governed by the Uniform Commercial Code in most states (or some variation of it), which essentially dictates that the language of the manufacturer's warranty is binding. Since Rolex's US warranty excludes third-party sales, that basically means no - the warranty does not follow the watch. Whether or not a specific RSC or AD will actually enforce that provision is another story, but their willingness to perform warranty work on a watch sold to a third party amounts to a courtesy, not a legal necessity.
Old 18 January 2018, 06:47 AM   #25
Syed117
"TRF" Member

This isn't the best way to look at it, but I tend to think of it like this:

The discount you get going grey should be more than 2.5X the cost of a service on your watch. Assuming the worst case scenario of a watch needing service as soon as you buy it and as soon as the service warranty is over.

Since warranties are now 5 years, and free repairs are essentially what are you giving up by saving money and going grey, the cost of that service should be factored into how much you are saving.

Let's use $700 as an example.

A service warranty is two years. So a watch that needs to go in on day one will be covered for 2 years after that service. Say it breaks again after the 2 years are up. Add another service and service warranty for the next 2 years. Then 1 year for the remaining year you would have had by going to an AD in the first place.

Obviously these are extreme conditions and I don't think anyone would need that amount of service, but $1750 under AD price is the minimum assuming you get that lemon that breaks over and over.

I don't think there is anything wrong with going grey. Just factor in service costs assuming the worst and you will know where you stand in terms of overall savings compared to buying from an AD.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 06:59 AM   #26
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF
I understand where you are coming from.

I bought thru a grey market dealer and basically saved way over $12k. I figure IF I needed service during the warranty period, I MIGHT have to pay for it. I also might not because I am just a charming fellow when absolutely necessary. Yes, its all about me.

Here is the thing though, I bought a ROLEX and the damn thing is a tank. It will not need service. It takes a hit and keeps on ticking (sorry Timex).
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:53 AM   #27
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610

Maybe some truth but here is my issue. This article is over a year old. If this was truly a change would have been tons of threads on this.

Also this comes up from time to time and people have these big debates on what is a warranty, different RSC do different things, lawyers come out of the woodwork etc.

point is I still have not seen a thread saying Rolex would not honor my warranty cause I am not the original owner.

If I ever need a warranty issue resolved I will try my luck. I am 99% confident it will be honored, but 1% it’s not will pay the money.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:07 AM   #28
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
My GMT IIc had to go in for warranty work a couple days after purchase because it wanted to keep stopping. They may be bulletproof, but things can happen.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:52 AM   #29
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
def not true. Bought a watch grey. sent it for service two months later for issue covered under warranty with ZERO issues. 4 weeks later watch was back good as new
WS9D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:55 AM   #30
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
def not true. Bought a watch grey. sent it for service two months later for issue covered under warranty with ZERO issues. 4 weeks later watch was back good as new
Good to know. When was this?