The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2018, 12:28 PM   #31
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Good to know. When was this?
past summer 2017
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:46 PM   #32
kicksncrowns
"TRF" Member

Sounds like fake news to me
kicksncrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:00 PM   #33
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
The way I have always heard it is the warranty follows the watch.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:14 PM   #34
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
These threads on warranties and warranty cards, who's name is on the card, etc. always make me chuckle a bit. As long as Rolex will service the watch - and I can (at least) pay for that service, it is a moot point in my mind.

I bet - if we championed a statistical analysis into the amount of warranty issues (and I'm referring more to actual mechanical issues) during the warranty period are actually done...it would be insignificant when compared to the number of actual personally owned watches currently under warranty.

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 01:33 AM   #35
Xerxes77
Banned

Every big brand in the market try to eliminate the grey market!
AP want to keep only his boutique and Rolex I think try to controle the market with this strategy!
All in all I think is not a bad thing because maybe in the future Rolex AD don’t sell all good staff to grey market!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 02:04 AM   #36
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
def not true. Bought a watch grey. sent it for service two months later for issue covered under warranty with ZERO issues. 4 weeks later watch was back good as new
I bought my wife a Rolex TT 31mm DJ on from one of the Trusted Sellers on this site a few years ago. After a half of a year I noticed it was dry inside/badly needed lubrication and was making add winding sounds. Could have been NOS. Took it to my local AD, they had a jeweler look at it there. He asked for the card, which was not in our name....he sent it off for service to Rolex someplace as it was above what he could fix...I guess. In fact, he told me at that time that the warentee follows the card/watch, not the name on the card/original buyer. And that the warentee had been recently changed from 3 yrs to 5 yrs.

In the end, no bill...just a big smile and a happy old lady.

I hope this his helpful.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 02:16 AM   #37
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
In my experience, the warranty has followed the watch. I've heard otherwise from some folks but I've never had a problem. Granted, most of my watches were purchased at an AD. I also factor the cost of a full service when I buy from a non-AD so it doesn't bother me either way.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 07:58 AM   #38
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
This is not anything unusual. For example, in the high end guitar world, both Martin and Taylor limit the warranty to the original purchaser on registration and it is not transferable to secondary owners.

I don't think it's anything outrageous, after all Rolex wants people to buy New from Authorized Dealers and they want to stamp out the gray market where people buy New from unofficial sources supplied by rogue ADs who risk losing their dealership if found out. Llimiting the warranty to only original owners purchased from an AD is another way to discourage the gray market. It also discourages buy-to-flip speculators which reduces the supply for people genuinely looking to buy for themselves.

This will help to protect the Rolex brand and it is entirely consistent with the Rolex ethos. But without affecting the secondhand market much at all, as many or most secondhand watches will be outside the warranty period so it is moot.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 08:15 AM   #39
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’ve never needed warranty service, but lots of folks have had no problem with Rolex honoring the warranty regardless of where it was purchased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:01 AM   #40
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
This is a moot discussion....All that will occur is that Rolex charges you for service, that would normally be included under warranty period.
Um, the issue of having to pay for a repair during the warranty period IS the discussion. And most people consider the issue pretty relevant. For those who think these watches are bullet proof, read the forum a bit more. Rolex QC isn't the best and there have been plenty of repairs under warranty needed. Even if there is a 99.99% chance things will be fine, I don't want to gamble on that. That said, it seems like grey market buyers are able to use the warranty without issue.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:08 AM   #41
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Um, the issue of having to pay for a repair during the warranty period IS the discussion.
I stopped reading when he wasn't sure how long the warranty period is.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:18 AM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
def not true. Bought a watch grey. sent it for service two months later for issue covered under warranty with ZERO issues. 4 weeks later watch was back good as new
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Good to know. When was this?
I did the same a few years back. Sent in the warranty card as well even though my name wasn't on the card.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:24 AM   #43
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I did the same a few years back. Sent in the warranty card as well even though my name wasn't on the card.
It's odd Rolex went to the trouble of drafting a warranty specifically for the US that is different from the international version primarily in that it excludes third-party sales from coverage, and then doesn't enforce it. For all of that, they could have just used the international version and saved everyone in the US a lot of fuss and bother worrying about who gets covered. In the end, it's good. I personally think the warranty should go with the watch, even if the law doesn't mandate it.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote