The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2019, 04:39 AM   #1
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Free day in Munich or Frankfurt - need help TRF

I have to go on a business trip coming up later this month. It looks like I will have a free day on Friday, March 22nd. My choices are to stay in Munich, Frankfurt or Dublin. I have never been to Munich so this seems like the most logical choice. I have been to Frankfurt for a half day but that was a long time ago. I’ve been to Dublin many times, so would just use this trip to meet up with an old coworker for dinner.
I wanted to check with folks to see if there are some sightseeing opportunities that must be seen in Munich vs Frankfurt. Or if Frankfurt is a better option for a 1 day visit.
So, if there are must see places in either city, I would appreciate any input. Or if you have input into which of the two German cities is preferred. Thanks for the help!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:46 AM   #2
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Never been to Frankfurt or Dublin but I have been to Munich and it’s drop dead gorgeous. From what I’ve heard Frankfurt is mostly financial/stock market hub,not a very popular choice among visitors. Dublin should be stunning too. Tough call indeed..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:52 AM   #3
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
Never been to Frankfurt or Dublin but I have been to Munich and it’s drop dead gorgeous. From what I’ve heard Frankfurt is mostly financial/stock market hub,not a very popular choice among visitors. Dublin should be stunning too. Tough call indeed..
Thanks for the input! I always enjoy Dublin and meeting my friend, but figure that if I have time and there are things to do and see, Munich might be a very good option. Although those pints of Guinness always taste so good in Ireland.

Since you've been to Munich, is there anything that you would specifically recommend to see?
Old 8 March 2019, 04:56 AM   #4
PackPride
"TRF" Member

Definitely Munich- Due to the severe damage to the city it doesn’t have the historical feel. The only area that (I have found) was rebuilt in the old style is around the opera house.

Munich is beautiful and lots to do and see.
PackPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 05:42 AM   #5
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Thanks for the input! I always enjoy Dublin and meeting my friend, but figure that if I have time and there are things to do and see, Munich might be a very good option. Although those pints of Guinness always taste so good in Ireland.

Since you've been to Munich, is there anything that you would specifically recommend to see?
That’s easy : Hofbrauhaus and the various beer gardens. There’s a big park,cannot recall the name, that has various beer gardens with live music. Everything else i’ve spent the day roaming the streets with no plans and it was just beautiful. Courtyards popped out out of nowhere and it turned out they were historic landmarks,just amazing. Best of all was people watching,bavarians are some happy and festive folks,the rest of Germans sort of frown upon them for that,or at least that’s what i’ve been told..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 07:41 AM   #6
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride View Post
Definitely Munich- Due to the severe damage to the city it doesn’t have the historical feel. The only area that (I have found) was rebuilt in the old style is around the opera house.

Munich is beautiful and lots to do and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
That’s easy : Hofbrauhaus and the various beer gardens. There’s a big park,cannot recall the name, that has various beer gardens with live music. Everything else i’ve spent the day roaming the streets with no plans and it was just beautiful. Courtyards popped out out of nowhere and it turned out they were historic landmarks,just amazing. Best of all was people watching,bavarians are some happy and festive folks,the rest of Germans sort of frown upon them for that,or at least that’s what i’ve been told..
Thank you both. I am pretty sure that I will stay in Munich to visit. I looked up Hofbrauhaus and that is my kind of place...big beers and crispy pork knuckle.
Old 8 March 2019, 01:29 PM   #7
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Im from Frankfurt, so obviously there's a slant. Check out, if you're interested, the museum line up in Frankfurt is pretty impressive (Museumsufer or promenade, about 10 different ones back to back, art, Postal, movie, decorative arts, etc.), so is the international culture, from concerts to even English speaking theater. We love our Applewine and are very friendly during consumption, easy to meet people after hours. Munich on the other side, is very Bavarian (which for most people is Germany, for what its worth), and every restaurant has a beer garden (March might be pushing it), again some great museums (Technical Museum) in downtown and easy to walk around (have a Weisswurst and beer in the am).The only issue, the airport is far outside the city, Frankfurt is bit easier and quicker. And a bunch of my buds moved there after finishing their studies, so theres something there. I always have a blast...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Have a great time Phil ! Either is good
Old 8 March 2019, 02:03 PM   #9
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschafer View Post
Im from Frankfurt, so obviously there's a slant. Check out, if you're interested, the museum line up in Frankfurt is pretty impressive (Museumsufer or promenade, about 10 different ones back to back, art, Postal, movie, decorative arts, etc.), so is the international culture, from concerts to even English speaking theater. We love our Applewine and are very friendly during consumption, easy to meet people after hours. Munich on the other side, is very Bavarian (which for most people is Germany, for what its worth), and every restaurant has a beer garden (March might be pushing it), again some great museums (Technical Museum) in downtown and easy to walk around (have a Weisswurst and beer in the am).The only issue, the airport is far outside the city, Frankfurt is bit easier and quicker. And a bunch of my buds moved there after finishing their studies, so theres something there. I always have a blast...
Thanks for the informative post. I know MUC is about 35 minute train from city center. Frankfurt sounds nice but I’m pretty sure I will do Munich this time around. Weather is looking to be in low to mid 50s for the high so hopefully it’s not too cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Have a great time Phil ! Either is good
Thanks my friend. I plan to have fun and explore the city.
Old 9 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #10
kearez
"TRF" Member

Definitely MUC. Much more fun and things to see and do. Check out the Allianz Arena. I travel to FRA for work. It’s a fun city and I enjoy it there, but as others have mentioned much more financial/business.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 12:42 AM   #11
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Definitely MUC. Much more fun and things to see and do. Check out the Allianz Arena. I travel to FRA for work. It’s a fun city and I enjoy it there, but as others have mentioned much more financial/business.
Thanks for the input and recommendation. I’ll look into the Arena. I was thinking about the BMW museum and Alte museum so far.
Old 9 March 2019, 12:46 AM   #12
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Munich also has a very cool AP House if you have some time to kill and want to ogle some watches.
Old 9 March 2019, 02:44 AM   #13
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Munich also has a very cool AP House if you have some time to kill and want to ogle some watches.
I just looked it up. It looks very nice and about a 15-20 min walk from my hotel. I think I will be stopping by to check it out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 9 March 2019, 05:45 AM   #14
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Munich has some cool things to see - also close by is the Neuschwansteinschloss, exceptionally beautiful.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 07:37 AM   #15
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Munich has some cool things to see - also close by is the Neuschwansteinschloss, exceptionally beautiful.
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw this last night when looking for things to do. It looks beautiful, but I only have Friday to tour the city. The castle would take the whole day.
Old 23 March 2019, 05:17 AM   #16
teqp
"TRF" Member

Thanks again to the folks who helped me out.
I had a fun time exploring Munich today. The weather was awesome in the low 60s with lots of sun. I walked a lot and also took the train/subway. After strolling around I found this in the street.

Next thing you know people were handing out free beer. Can’t beat that so took them up on their offer. A wise man once said, you can’t drink all day, if you don’t start in the morning! Nothing like a beer at 10:30 am after walking around.

Then walked and took the train to the BMW Museum. It was very cool and nice to see some of the cool older cars.

And some bikes.

I had a late lunch at Hofbrauhaus.

Pork knuckle

With a nice big beer.

Finally decided that I would pick up a new wallet as a souvenir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2019, 05:56 AM   #17
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Well...why don't you tell us what you'd like to do ?

All 3 cities are terrific IMO. Each in its own way.

Edit: Just saw you chose Munich. Glad you had fun
Old 23 March 2019, 05:58 AM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Free day in Munich or Frankfurt - need help TRF

Great stuff !! Weather did look good from the forecast this morning so got lucky there too.

What did you think of the local food ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 08:55 PM   #19
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Great stuff !! Weather did look good from the forecast this morning so got lucky there too.

What did you think of the local food ?

The weather was perfect. Sun was out all day.

As for the local food, I enjoyed it. A little on the heavy side but good.

Old 24 March 2019, 09:02 PM   #20
teqp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I started my day off heading over to the AP house. They were very nice and accommodating. Claudia was super friendly and helpful. They gave me some water and a cappuccino while sent went in the back to get some watches to show me.

She really wanted to show me the new Code 11:59, so I obliged her . When I was at the Zürich airport earlier in the week, I saw the Code 11:59 ads and thought it looked okay. But in person it was a gorgeous watch. The hour markers sparkle with the slightest wrist movement.