The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2019, 03:04 AM   #31
ragsk
Banned

Also just to reiterate i actually like the Code line. And Im not saying it coz i got invited to this event - have said it well before as well. I may consider buying one.

I did find it weird that a couple of the guests were wearing Pateks to the event. Bad form I would say......
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 03:05 AM   #32
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I noticed that too! A full gold Nautilus.....hard to miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 03:13 AM   #33
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I noticed that too! A full gold Nautilus.....hard to miss.

Yep and the chap to my wife's right was wearing a dress Patek. And the guy sat opposite me was wearing a Rolex Sub bimetal lol. To be fair and balanced my wife was also wearing a Chopard watch but I suspect women probably get a pass here.
Old 19 May 2019, 04:14 AM   #34
Reign
"TRF" Member

I’ve seen the chrono and entry level ones in person and it’s a hard pass.

For me, the PC and Skeleton are where things get interesting.

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 02:11 PM   #35
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Code line is a major flop. Does not appeal to the masses, there really is nothing special about the watch except for the absurd asking prices
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 02:56 PM   #36
eiesh
"TRF" Member

I won’t say it’s a major flop because when steel versions are made, which I’m sure they will make I’m 100% certain they will be difficult to get plus the price point will be lower than the 15500. Perfect entry level watch imho

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 03:01 PM   #37
eiesh
"TRF" Member

I won’t say it’s a major flop because when steel versions are made, which I’m sure they will make I’m 100% certain they will be difficult to get plus the price point will be lower than the 15500. Perfect entry level watch imho

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:37 PM   #38
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famz_01 View Post
Code line is a major flop. Does not appeal to the masses, there really is nothing special about the watch except for the absurd asking prices
I tell you there were a lot of people who actually liked the Code watches. They look good in person. I dont think they will be a flop.
Old 19 May 2019, 05:33 PM   #39
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Don’t like them at all.

Case might be nice but it just seems like AP was trying to hard to make an intricate watch just for the sake of being intricate (double curved glass, flowing lugs, etc).

Best part about the watch might be the strap! Looks really nice.
Old 19 May 2019, 05:37 PM   #40
AshAP
"TRF" Member

The negative views expressed on social media will ultimately play into AP’s hands because when people get the opportunity to see the watch in person and try it on I think they will be shocked at how nice it is on the wrist.

Old 19 May 2019, 05:39 PM   #41
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I have strong doubts, but time will tell. I don't really think you can gauge enthusiasm from that event, as people will be 'in the moment' - sales follow up will be the decider.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:46 PM   #42
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The negative views expressed on social media will ultimately play into AP’s hands because when people get the opportunity to see the watch in person and try it on I think they will be shocked at how nice it is on the wrist.

Again I'm not so sure at all. I've tried them three times and I just don't get it. Each to their own, but I think they are very unappealing with their visually huge dial. I actually also think they look better in pics than in real life - in some pics anyway.

I'm amazed also that the watches have been released without a rubber strap option to make them a bit more sporty. I gather that will come, but seems odd not to have available now.
Old 19 May 2019, 10:21 PM   #43
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Again I'm not so sure at all. I've tried them three times and I just don't get it. Each to their own, but I think they are very unappealing with their visually huge dial. I actually also think they look better in pics than in real life - in some pics anyway.

I'm amazed also that the watches have been released without a rubber strap option to make them a bit more sporty. I gather that will come, but seems odd not to have available now.
A fabric style, kevlar, strap is coming out next for it. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t scooped one up yet because I’m actually allergic to the leather straps for some reason. Although I’d much prefer rubber.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 10:22 PM   #44
AshAP
"TRF" Member

A Kevlar strap option will be very interesting to see.

Old 20 May 2019, 12:22 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
A fabric style, kevlar, strap is coming out next for it. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t scooped one up yet because I’m actually allergic to the leather straps for some reason. Although I’d much prefer rubber.
Is it only on the Code? Saw one on a Linde Werdelin and it looked very good, would work on the ROOs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:01 AM   #46
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Also just to reiterate i actually like the Code line. And Im not saying it coz i got invited to this event - have said it well before as well. I may consider buying one.

I did find it weird that a couple of the guests were wearing Pateks to the event. Bad form I would say......
I wouldn't say bad form, may be they didn't own APs. I know of couple of people who didn't own APs got invited to similar events, one even for a factory tour (they all now own APs). I respect AP for doing that as it is a prefect method of introducing people to the brand. I can't imagine Patek doing it.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:49 AM   #47
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Is it only on the Code? Saw one on a Linde Werdelin and it looked very good, would work on the ROOs.
All of them, I’m defective lol
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 03:12 AM   #48
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I wouldn't say bad form, may be they didn't own APs. I know of couple of people who didn't own APs got invited to similar events, one even for a factory tour (they all now own APs). I respect AP for doing that as it is a prefect method of introducing people to the brand. I can't imagine Patek doing it.

The guy with the gold Nautilus has an amazing collection of watches which include boutique only APs

Old 20 May 2019, 06:13 AM   #49
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
The guy with the gold Nautilus has an amazing collection of watches which include boutique only APs

Then I would say it is bad form
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:05 PM   #50
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Having seen the collection on several occasions and considered it carefully, I am amongst those who very much like CODE 11:59.
  • The case design and craftsmanship are excellent and markedly more interesting than more traditional alternatives, both in terms of appeal and function. The piece is well sized and able to suit both male and female wrists.
  • The new movements are well executed, technically accomplished and exceptionally finished - make no mistake on the latter, AP are truly seeking to make a statement with these launch pieces. Of them, the chronograph movement is particularly impressive with its horizontally aligned levers - something that I believe has been done deliberately to pave the way for future complications. Personally, I would have liked for all of the pieces to house new movements and for the new generation of movements to be thinner, but I suppose that there are several factors to consider including scalability, reliability and servicing that might have challenged that route.
  • Whilst there has been much criticism for the dial designs in particular, even from softer voices, the more time that I spend with the pieces the greater my appreciation for them grows. I personally find the comparisons to pieces from 'fashion' brands entirely facile - this is an argument that can be made for pieces from almost any manufacture.
  • The double-curved glass is interesting and does add some visual flare that I enjoy, particularly under dimmer light-settings. I do not have an absolute or strong view on it, but it is importantly also so that one does not know how the piece would have looked with a more conventional crystal.
  • The leather straps, buckles and deployant clasps are all excellent, though I would personally have welcomed the deployant being fitted across the range. The trigger mechanism for the deployant is well designed and engineered.
  • Despite criticism of the price points from some, I find the pieces to be generally in line with 'alternatives' - and there really are none if you consider it - from peer manufactures, whilst the chronograph is somewhat of a bargain against pieces from PP, VC and ALS (for example).

I would encourage anyone who has doubts to take the time to view the collection in person - I think you might be very pleasantly surprised.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:34 AM   #51
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Then I would say it is bad form
Its not my position to criticise what others think is right or wrong, but (assuming I owned an AP) I'd not wear a different brand to an AP event, as to me it would seem a bit rude.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:54 AM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post

lol yes you are.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:28 AM   #53
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
lol yes you are.
Nope. Promise and cross my heart etc. Have said it weeks before I got the invite to this event.
Old 8 June 2019, 06:05 AM   #54
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Had a chance to see them in person. I like them.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote