The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2018, 03:48 AM   #1
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Pre-owned Patek watches in NYC

What are the must-go places for pre-owned Patek Philippe in NYC, both in terms of reputation and variety? I have to admit all those stores at 47th kinda scary me away.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 05:18 AM   #2
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Madison Time for the big stuff
Old 2 June 2018, 07:23 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Michael Ashton has incredible watches as well as Madison Time as Thomas mentioned. Other than that only advice is to stay away from 47th St.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Nat123
"TRF" Member

Michael Safdie at Madison Time is the best. But you need an appointment.
Nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 07:27 AM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat123 View Post
Same with Michael Ashton appointment only. Don’t go to either if you are looking for a deal. Quality for both though superb and prices reflect that.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 09:19 AM   #6
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Thank you, gentlemen.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:27 AM   #7
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
Aaron Faber on West 53rd just off Fifth.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:19 PM   #8
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat123 View Post
I will say I found Michael a little rude and dismissive on the phone, I never got to meet him in person or visit the store as he refused to schedule an appointment.

I spoke to him by phone and told him what I was interested in at the time (older Nautilus, Perpetual each of which they had a coupe examples of), he asked if I owned any Pateks (I do, 5711) and he kinda said 'meh, not sure it makes sense to come in'.

The whole exchange struck me as odd but it's his business so I left it at that and moved on.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:49 PM   #9
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I will say I found Michael a little rude and dismissive on the phone, I never got to meet him in person or visit the store as he refused to schedule an appointment.

I spoke to him by phone and told him what I was interested in at the time (older Nautilus, Perpetual each of which they had a coupe examples of), he asked if I owned any Pateks (I do, 5711) and he kinda said 'meh, not sure it makes sense to come in'.

The whole exchange struck me as odd but it's his business so I left it at that and moved on.
I think business like these are typically not interested to engage new clients unless by reference.

I tried to arrange an appointment when I visited NYC back in 2015. They asked for my mobile number by email and I replied but I never received a call.
Old 15 July 2018, 08:32 PM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I've purchased three Pateks from Michael Ashton and have never had any issues. I live in NYC so if he's closed I can just wander back another day. Because of security, a lot of watch stores in NYC have been robbed at gun point including Lange and Jaeger, watch dealers have to be very careful. Basically his prices are competitive with what you find online.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:05 AM   #11
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I think business like these are typically not interested to engage new clients unless by reference.

I tried to arrange an appointment when I visited NYC back in 2015. They asked for my mobile number by email and I replied but I never received a call.
I guess business is good which is good for them and of course entirely their right to choose who they do business with. It's a shame for us however as they do usually seem to have good stock and some great pieces.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:18 AM   #12
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I know this is an old thread, but I agree with the posters about Michael Ashton:

1) Incredible selection, and a beautiful shoppe.
2) Prices are higher end, but it's a boutique on the UES and the prices reflect some overhead.
3) It was not a pleasant interaction for me.

I went there yesterday interested in the 5170P or a 5170G white dial. I got the feeling I was being sized up and evaluated. Which happens in luxury businesses, I get it, but I didn't get the impression he cared about my business. The 5170P was unworn and he wouldn't even let me touch it - it was honestly demeaning.

My sense from the interaction is that he wants a small book of extremely wealthy clients who can drop Patek money without thinking too much about it - not first-time, 30-something buyers.

I can say more about the interaction, but unless you're very very wealthy and it shows, I'm not sure if you'll get great service here. That said, great selection and reasonably fair prices.

Some watch dealers have no pretension - they're watch geeks who love to just talk watches. I may be wrong, but I didn't get the sense Michael fell into that camp.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:22 AM   #13
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I agree with the posters about Michael Ashton:

1) Incredible selection, and a beautiful shoppe.
2) Prices are higher end, but it's a boutique on the UES and the prices reflect some overhead.
3) It was not a pleasant interaction for me.

I went there yesterday interested in the 5170P or a 5170G white dial. I got the feeling I was being sized up and evaluated. Which happens in luxury businesses, I get it, but I didn't get the impression he cared about my business. The 5170P was unworn and he wouldn't even let me touch it - it was honestly demeaning.

My sense from the interaction is that he wants a small book of extremely wealthy clients who can drop Patek money without thinking too much about it - not first-time, 30-something buyers.

I can say more about the interaction, but unless you're very very wealthy and it shows, I'm not sure if you'll get great service here. That said, great selection and reasonably fair prices.

Some watch dealers have no pretension - they're watch geeks who love to just talk watches. I may be wrong, but I didn't get the sense Michael fell into that camp.
well that’s a shame. i came across his website as i’m interested in a 5167a in a few months. not going with him now.
Old 30 October 2020, 04:25 AM   #14
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Michael Ashton has incredible watches as well as Madison Time as Thomas mentioned. Other than that only advice is to stay away from 47th St.
Lol I was in NY around this time last year for the first time. Of course, I went through 47th and it was an experience to say the least. I can't imagine purchasing a watch from any of the places there. Idk it seemed super slimey.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:25 AM   #15
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I think it's worth a conversation - but just don't expect the warm and fuzzy's. At the end - get the watch you want at the price you want.

If you're going to the person who is buying 5167s, then a 5711, then a 5740, then a 5970, then a 5370...he might be a good person to have a relationship with.

Me? I'm buying a 5170, but as a humble tech worker the upper echelon of Patek is out of reach for the foreseeable future.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:35 PM   #16
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I purchased my 5165 from Michael Ashton and had a great experience with them. Certainly wasn’t the same experience as visiting my AD and trying everything on but they were very nice to work with.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 08:32 PM   #17
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I have purchased four Pateks from Michael and traded and sold a few watches to him. None of them were high end Pateks. His prices are fair and his merchandise is first rate. It's his store and you have to respect his wishes regarding handling of the merchandise. It's not so difficult to understand why he wouldn't want someone handling an unworn $70K watch.
Michael gets a lot of tire kickers and, in NYC, there are concerns because of the number of armed robberies of high end watch stores so it's not surprising that store owners would be circumspect of potential new clients.
If you are looking for a particular 5170, you're serious about buying it, and a dealer has one that is unworn and the price is right, what's there to quibble about? You buy it. If you don't buy it then perhaps you're not serious and are just a window shopper.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 12:54 PM   #18
Enatai252
"TRF" Member

I have purchased two watches from Michael Ashton and visit the store when in NYC Highly recommended. Visits to his store have been pleasant and professional. His inventory selection is impressive and high quality. I was new to PP at the time and he spent time educating me including sharing some older pieces to provide some perspective.
Enatai252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:19 AM   #19
DukeDevil
"TRF" Member

A 40-min train to Tarrytown to visit Steve Dubinsky at Tarrytown Jewelers could be worthwhile, especially if you're looking at more contemporary references. Broad selection, straight shooter, and in my opinion, better pricing than NYC or most other US sellers.

Madison Time has so many rare and expensive vintage pieces that I felt they weren't that interested in my business, someone looking for an entry-level (3940) watch.

Depends on what you're looking for I guess.
DukeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote