The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 August 2014, 07:44 AM   #31
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollectables View Post
Rolex train their polishing technicians and they all use the same methods ;-)
It's still done by hand, and as such there will always be minute variations, not only from worker to worker, but also from watch to watch from the same worker...
Old 8 August 2014, 09:38 AM   #32
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I always polish first, then brush. I do it this way because that's the way I do it:)
Everyone has their own approach to case refinishing, as long as the end result is the same it really doesn't matter how you got there. I could be wrong though, I have a couple of ex-wives to prove it.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 08:32 AM   #33
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
It's still done by hand, and as such there will always be minute variations, not only from worker to worker, but also from watch to watch from the same worker...
I think most consumers do not possess microscopes !
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 05:53 AM   #34
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just to add , Rolex have stringent quality control and the differences in finish on watches leaving the factory would be so minuscule that only an individual with sophisticated equipment would be able to spot .
Old 12 August 2014, 02:27 AM   #35
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Keep reading TRF...
Old 17 August 2014, 01:09 AM   #36
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I'm expert at refinishing cases, and oyster cases have a lot going on. Polishing the flanks requires precision in order to keep them flat, and if there are holes you have to ensure you don't bowl them out. Tops of the lugs is the biggest challenge. They have to be flat, and the grain has to be just right. Chamfers are easy, but the also the easiest way to ruin a nice case. Very few guys actually know how to approach a sports case. Honest, I've only met 2 guys who know how to do it professionally, and I mean factory new. Anyway tools are not the secret. Its the method and application of these tools which is not easily attained. Experience is what makes it happen though.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 03:42 AM   #37
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I'm expert at refinishing cases, and oyster cases have a lot going on. Polishing the flanks requires precision in order to keep them flat, and if there are holes you have to ensure you don't bowl them out. Tops of the lugs is the biggest challenge. They have to be flat, and the grain has to be just right. Chamfers are easy, but the also the easiest way to ruin a nice case. Very few guys actually know how to approach a sports case. Honest, I've only met 2 guys who know how to do it professionally, and I mean factory new. Anyway tools are not the secret. Its the method and application of these tools which is not easily attained. Experience is what makes it happen though.
I must be honest when somebody announces they are an expert I worry ! But that aside not all Oyster cases are flat and good watch case refinishers will make their own tools and will keep them to themselves if they are successful . I'm my opinion though I am not an ' expert ' is that if you have the correct tools you are halfway there , it's then using them correctly which takes mistakes and overall experience.
Old 17 August 2014, 05:29 AM   #38
Dalton
TechXpert

Quote:
I must be honest when somebody announces they are an expert I worry ! But that aside not all Oyster cases are flat and good watch case refinishers will make their own tools and will keep them to themselves if they are successful . I'm my opinion though I am not an ' expert ' is that if you have the correct tools you are halfway there , it's then using them correctly which takes mistakes and overall experience.
I hear ya on the expert stuff. But perhaps you've never seen my work, or we've never met. Besides its not about me, Its just not the kind of stuff you want to make mistakes with. Just my .02 cents. Not all oyster case are flat, but the majority are. Rounding edges off is a rookie mistake even when the sides are not flat. A yachmaster has edges even though its high polished. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you have to take everything into account.
Old 17 August 2014, 06:45 AM   #39
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
I hear ya on the expert stuff. But perhaps you've never seen my work, or we've never met. Besides its not about me, Its just not the kind of stuff you want to make mistakes with. Just my .02 cents. Not all oyster case are flat, but the majority are. Rounding edges off is a rookie mistake even when the sides are not flat. A yachmaster has edges even though its high polished. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you have to take everything into account.
dalton,

does sports case requires a lapping machine to keep the sides even? i reckon that rsc do have lapping machines?
hbk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 06:57 AM   #40
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

To achieve a factory flat surface and edge a lapping machine is used . There is only one way to create a clean crisp edge and that is to offer the case up to a surface that is similar in hardness . It will impart the flat surface it has on the item being polished using a fine abrasive . In fact the only way to achieve a super mirror finish is to polish In the same way reducing the polishing medium /abrasive microns in stages.
A final light luster polish is achieved using a high speed and very very soft mop head .
Hope you don't mind me answering !
Old 17 August 2014, 12:30 PM   #41
Dalton
TechXpert

Quote:
To achieve a factory flat surface and edge a lapping machine is used . There is only one way to create a clean crisp edge and that is to offer the case up to a surface that is similar in hardness . It will impart the flat surface it has on the item being polished using a fine abrasive . In fact the only way to achieve a super mirror finish is to polish In the same way reducing the polishing medium /abrasive microns in stages.
A final light luster polish is achieved using a high speed and very very soft mop head .
Pretty much that's the way to go!
Old 17 August 2014, 05:07 PM   #42
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
... and if there are holes you have to ensure you don't bowl them out.
How do you do this? On most watches that has been polished, even most of the "unpolished" ones I see here, the holes show signs of polishing.

If I were to do this myself, I would deem it necessary to fill the hole first with something of similar hardness before polishing. Maybe even weld the hole shut and then carefully drilling it out when finished?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 05:51 PM   #43
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, I do welcome opinions from anyone who is knowledgeable.

So anyone who does refinishing for rolex cases should have a lapping machine? I presume that RSC do have them because they refinishes so many casing everyday?
Old 17 August 2014, 10:12 PM   #44
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk75 View Post
Thanks, I do welcome opinions from anyone who is knowledgeable.

So anyone who does refinishing for rolex cases should have a lapping machine? I presume that RSC do have them because they refinishes so many casing everyday?
All of the Rolex Service Centres have a lapping machine to refinish Sports cases properly, although most Independants dont. I think there are only a couple in the Uk that have a Rolex Accredited one that costs in excess of £15k I am told maybe slightly more that Rolex actually supply with a course of training and refresher courses.But its a strange situation as the Independants that do not have this machine pretty mush polish in the standard way and still keep their Rolex Accreditation so its a bit of a grey area in my book .There maybe are a few that use a non Rolex accredited lapping machine, there are a few on the market these days but I do not know which ones that do .

`How do you do this? On most watches that has been polished, even most of the "unpolished" ones I see here, the holes show signs of polishing.

If I were to do this myself, I would deem it necessary to fill the hole first with something of similar hardness before polishing. Maybe even weld the hole shut and then carefully drilling it out when finished? `

With the Lug holes, when the case side is polished compound builds up in the hole and is constantly moved through the hole and ground round and round in the recess which causes the hole to get slightly bigger and rounded off. Lapping pretty much avoids this issue although it will never be the same as a freshly drilled hole. If you polish with compound then filling the hole with a hard but drillable filler would be the only way to go but a lot of messing around in my opinion;-)
Old 18 August 2014, 12:35 AM   #45
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
This is an amazing thread just filled with great info, thanks guys! I love it when TRF school is in session, even on a Sunday!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 01:01 AM   #46
Dalton
TechXpert

The lapper is smooth and has no fibers so the lug holes shouldn't be getting dragged by material. Problem is that if your angle is off, the lapper will drag on a edge and the bowling out occurs. It happens so fast that trained personnel have to resurface the case to basically start over again. Scary stuff when you're dealing with prized watches or vintage. If you've had some time behind the wheel, you can also correct bowled out lug holes by using the right amount of pressure and most importantly proper angle of attack. A lot of thought goes into cutting cases. Pros make it look easy though:)
Old 18 August 2014, 01:44 AM   #47
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
All of the Rolex Service Centres have a lapping machine to refinish Sports cases properly, although most Independants dont. I think there are only a couple in the Uk that have a Rolex Accredited one that costs in excess of £15k I am told maybe slightly more that Rolex actually supply with a course of training and refresher courses.But its a strange situation as the Independants that do not have this machine pretty mush polish in the standard way and still keep their Rolex Accreditation so its a bit of a grey area in my book .There maybe are a few that use a non Rolex accredited lapping machine, there are a few on the market these days but I do not know which ones that do .

`How do you do this? On most watches that has been polished, even most of the "unpolished" ones I see here, the holes show signs of polishing.

If I were to do this myself, I would deem it necessary to fill the hole first with something of similar hardness before polishing. Maybe even weld the hole shut and then carefully drilling it out when finished? `

With the Lug holes, when the case side is polished compound builds up in the hole and is constantly moved through the hole and ground round and round in the recess which causes the hole to get slightly bigger and rounded off. Lapping pretty much avoids this issue although it will never be the same as a freshly drilled hole. If you polish with compound then filling the hole with a hard but drillable filler would be the only way to go but a lot of messing around in my opinion;-)

Wow. Thanks for all the information. I've spoken to a RSC polishing technician and was told that lugs that have been re-polished will look differently from those who are fresh from the factory. I was also told that lugs will have to be refinished regardless whether they have scratches or look new. Because when the polish the edges of the casing, the front part of the lugs will be affected as well.
Old 18 August 2014, 01:44 AM   #48
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
The lapper is smooth and has no fibers so the lug holes shouldn't be getting dragged by material. Problem is that if your angle is off, the lapper will drag on a edge and the bowling out occurs. It happens so fast that trained personnel have to resurface the case to basically start over again. Scary stuff when you're dealing with prized watches or vintage. If you've had some time behind the wheel, you can also correct bowled out lug holes by using the right amount of pressure and most importantly proper angle of attack. A lot of thought goes into cutting cases. Pros make it look easy though:)
Hi Dalton, I've sent u a PM. If you have time, kindly take a look. Thanks.
Old 18 August 2014, 02:38 AM   #49
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

I also think its possible that the bar through the lugs over a long period of time wears the lug hole bigger so when metal is removed from the case on say a Sub , the hole gets bigger on the outside because it has worn to a larger diameter inside !
Old 31 October 2020, 07:23 AM   #50
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Just reviving this thread as there’s some great info on polishing - given the fact there are so many discussions presently re scratches... watchworks in Bristol, UK, have a lapping machine and they’re great....
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:40 AM   #51
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
Just reviving this thread as there’s some great info on polishing - given the fact there are so many discussions presently re scratches... watchworks in Bristol, UK, have a lapping machine and they’re great....
Nice thread indeed.
Some before after pics from your watch would be nice
Old 31 October 2020, 08:59 AM   #52
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Thankfully I haven’t needed their service (“yet”, I’m sure!) ...
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 04:44 AM   #53
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
This is an AMAZING thread!

Loved seeing the gentlemanly polite interaction between the TWO "experts" (even though one declined to call himself by that title!). Seems that Watchcollectables and Dalton would be wonderful resources for the future.
These are true professionals!

Thank you for "reviving" this, for all of our benefit!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:29 PM   #54
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Amazing was it really 6 years ago !! Time certainly flies .Since this thread we are still marching ahead in terms of our lapping conquests and bracelet restoration . Laser or Micro welding has certainly brought an amazing amount of opportunities in terms of watch cases and bracelets that previously would of been assigned to the scrap pile .
Stay safe everyone in the difficult times