The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2021, 02:01 AM   #1
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Buy watch at AD but pickup at Salon?

Is it possible to buy a watch through a Patek AD but then have it sent to one of the salons (Geneva, for example) to take delivery there and get the full Salon experience?
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Why would you want to do that? Ask your AD or the Salon?

The Salon won't put you on their list for sth hot as a new non-local customer but they might well sell you a Calatrava or Complication. Even w/o buying there a visit is certainly worth while as they'll have you try on whatever you want and are willing to spend time with you regardless.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:25 AM   #3
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Why would you want to do that? Ask your AD or the Salon?

The Salon won't put you on their list for sth hot as a new non-local customer but they might well sell you a Calatrava or Complication. Even w/o buying there a visit is certainly worth while as they'll have you try on whatever you want and are willing to spend time with you regardless.
I’m not trying to get on the list for anything. I just want the experience of picking up the watch from the Salon, rather than the dealer.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:36 AM   #4
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Not possible. Patek sells the watch to the dealer. Why would their retail arm be interested in handling something that doesn’t belong to Patek anymore?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:44 AM   #5
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Not possible. Patek sells the watch to the dealer. Why would their retail arm be interested in handling something that doesn’t belong to Patek anymore?
Enhanced customer experience and building brand loyalty would be two good reasons. Similar to taking the European delivery option when you buy a Porsche from a US dealer.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:56 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Enhanced customer experience and building brand loyalty would be two good reasons. Similar to taking the European delivery option when you buy a Porsche from as US dealer.
Why wouldn't you want to buy at the Salon then? I think they'd be happy to sell you any non-hot piece.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:59 AM   #7
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to buy at the Salon then? I think they'd be happy to sell you any non-hot piece.
The Salon doesn’t have this particular watch. It’s a 5170G, which was discontinued three years ago.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:06 AM   #8
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Salon doesn’t have this particular watch. It’s a 5170G, which was discontinued three years ago.
Ever tried picking up a discontinued Porsche in Stuttgart?
Old 24 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #9
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Ever tried picking up a discontinued Porsche in Stuttgart?
Different story. This watch is new at an AD.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:19 AM   #10
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The telephone is your friend. Just call them.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #11
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

I asked for this, my AD didn't accommodate.
They did hook me up with a trip to the Geneva Salon, tickets to the PP museum & a white glove experience in Geneva.
Dr.Teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #12
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which makes it worse! Don't think the Porsche you'd pick up in Zuffenhausen would have been shipped to a US dealer and returned to Germany before.

In my expectation it is not even worth asking your AD and Geneva both of whom would have to play along. Being in the business they are in they must have received some odd requests in the past but I am not sure they had to deal with this one before. Personally I don't get the difference of going through all this vs just getting the watch from the AD and visiting the Salon on a separate occasion.
Old 24 January 2021, 05:58 AM   #13
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
there is a good side for picking up your watch at the salon and espically Geneva Salon with all the history.
they have all the models for you to try (they won't sell you a waiting list piece but at least you can try it and see how it fit).
and you purchase any non waiting list non application piece on the spot in the salon.
The down side to that is that you can't aske for anything less that full retail price.
so its your call
Old 24 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #14
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
In my opinion it seems like an unreasonable request to send a discontinued watch sitting at your local AD to another country just for an experience. They're both going to hand you a box and a glass of champagne. I'd just buy the watch and fly over for a Salon visit when it's convenient.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:24 AM   #15
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me rephrase. Ever bought a new but out of production Porsche sitting in the lot of a dealer in NYC and asked to have that same car delivered to you in Germany?

Like, what do you think is gonna happen to make this possible? Even if we ignore the fact that the watch probably would have to change ownership between the AD and PP again, it would have to be exported to Switzerland and then back into the US by you again. Oh, and the US is currently on the Swiss mandatory entry quarantine list, so there’s that...
Old 24 January 2021, 09:38 PM   #16
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Why not buy the watch from the AD here in the US. Then Ship the watch to Geneva Salon, buy an airplane ticket to Geneva and pick up the watch at the Salon.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:03 PM   #17
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I went with my AD for a collection from Geneva.

https://www.laingsuk.com/blog/2016/0...atek-philippe/
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:39 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

Very cool and thanks for sharing so it’s possible despite all the naysayers here !!!!
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 04:03 AM   #19
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow looks awesome. But it sounds like you were purchasing something on a different level from what I’m looking at!

Also, I don’t need or want any special treatment. Just want to pick-up my watch there as part of a nice weekend trip to Geneva.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:20 AM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow looks awesome. But it sounds like you were purchasing something on a different level from what I’m looking at!

Also, I don’t need or want any special treatment. Just want to pick-up my watch there as part of a nice weekend trip to Geneva.
Well I’m not sure of the logistics for a simple collection, my piece had to come to my UK AD first and then my AD carried it with him on the flight to Geneva and presented it to me at the salon. I think the best option is to enquire with your AD what is possible as he will need to receive the watch before anything else can happen.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:23 AM   #21
Uros
"TRF" Member

Great story...just afraid as OP said its not comparable, on the other hand AD can make a call and ask it wont hurt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #22
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

Maybe your AD can just organise the manufacture visit, etc? You pick up your watch at home at the AD and they help set up an experience for you when in Switzerland?

While a quick trip to Switzerland might be logistically easier for a European based AD to set up as described in the link, I am sure the New York / US ADs also arrange those sorts of trips to visit the manufacture.

With picking up the watch I would imagine that there could be a fair bit of customs and other legal red tape to move the watch around - the watch is owned by your AD and presumably they need to sell it to you from their location. So who transports the watch, on what basis is it declared to customs? If the AD is part of an international group that has a legal entity in Switzerland, maybe they can get it over there, but if not it seems likely you would need to be the one bringing your purchase with you from the US to Switzerland.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #23
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:

This guy bought a grand complication, so it could've been a minute repeater :)
and for that you are entitiled for the Geneva saloon experiance
Old 25 January 2021, 09:23 AM   #24
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
This guy bought a grand complication, so it could've been a minute repeater :)
and for that you are entitiled for the Geneva saloon experiance
Not sure why you are assuming it was a grand complication, I have posted extensively about my experience of the purchase on this forum. I ordered a 5131G and after an eight year wait I was lucky enough to get an allocation of a 5131R. It was my first Patek! Passion and persistence are rewarded by a great AD.
Old 25 January 2021, 02:31 PM   #25
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Don’t see it happening for the OP, unless his AD does what the UK AD did for Russell, hand carry it back to Geneva.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:59 PM   #26
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It is possible as others have said. But it would be for a special watch, whether it's an application piece or some special customer order. Most likely if you are a collector at that level, you probably already have been on a factory tour and Geneva knows you on a first name basis.

For the average watch collector, I don't see it happening.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote