The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 December 2015, 12:17 PM   #1
xQx
"TRF" Member

Advice for buying a Rolex Explorer 114270

Now, I appreciate that you could hardly call a watch made between 2000 and 2010 "vintage", it has been discontinued so I'm asking for advice here.

(Also, I expect members of this sub-forum are likely to have a far greater appreciation and knowledge of the questions I'm asking than in the general rolex discussion.)

It is no longer a question of "if", but now a question of "which" 114270 I will buy. I have small wrists and prefer the size of a 36mm dial than the current 39mm+ style of today. Also, I rather like the distinctive, easy to read, well 'lumed' dial of the explorer (compared with the OP and datejust).

I know that it's a punt as to which Rolex models appreciate over time compared with those that depreciate, but given the history of the explorer and that the year 2010, 114270 was the last Explorer to be made in 36mm I think there's a good chance buying one and putting it in a safe for 10 years is as good a bet as any.

However, I'm buying an explorer to wear on weekends for swimming and regular weekend activity. The advantage of a Rolex over other 'haute' swiss watches is that it can handle more than just being worn behind a desk, so I intend to use it as such. So, while it would be nice to buy a model that will appreciate in value over the years, it is likely that it will be in 'fine' condition rather than 'mint' condition if I ever move to sell it.

So, to the questions:
1) Is there any difference between the 2000 model 114270 and the 2010 model 114270?
2) Does Super Luminova loose effectiveness over time? If both watches were kept in a safe their whole life, would a mint condition year 2000 114270 have less luminescence than a 2010 114270?
3) A mint condition 2002 114270 with Papers is advertised for 3,300€, A mint condition 2010 114270 with Papers is advertised for 4,400€. If all other factors were the same, would you spend an extra 1,100€ (~$1200 USD, or 30% extra) to get the watch that's eight years younger (and the last year of manufacture of that model) - assuming you're going to wear it, rather than just collect and store it?
4) There's a mint condition 2003 114270 with no papers for $3,100€. Would any of you save $200€ and just buy a watch without papers?
5) Many of these watches have no indication that they've been serviced since purchase. Fair enough on a 2010 model watch, but should I be worried about a 2000-2003 model Rolex that's never been serviced?
xQx is offline   Reply With Quote