The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 December 2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Neslein
"TRF" Member

New Zenith Daytona Owner With Concerns

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here but I have been avidly reading the vast amount of information on this forum. I've had a couple of subs before but am now in possession of my first Daytona.
It's a 16520 made in the late 90's. I will add some photos later on this evening but first have a concern I would love some opinions on.
From what I gather the watch hasn't been used for a number of months. When I picked it up the watch had been worn and time set. It will mainly be my weekend watch but didn't manage this weekend due to work. I wore it today and had to set the time as the power reserve was depleted. Winding the watch was fine, a little tight but nothing I was worried about but setting the time wasn't the buttery smooth operation I had with my sub. There was a number of notches when setting it. I'm just curious if this is inherent with this watch movement, or due to it sitting for a few months unworn? This is my first serous horological investment and I'm worried that I've caused damage.

Thanks in advance for any help

Neslein
Neslein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 12:46 AM   #2
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sure some of the real experts will chime in but has the watch been recently serviced? I have a red sub that winds smoothly but it was serviced fairly recently. Either way congrats on your piece and I am sure it will all get fixed.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 01:05 AM   #3
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Sounds like there may be something going on. It's been my experience that they wind and set as smooth as other references.
Old 22 December 2015, 03:01 AM   #4
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I also have a late '90's Zenith Daytona and there are no "notches" or unusual resistance when setting the time on mine.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 03:35 AM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Agreed. It's a great watch, and should be smooth to set time. Tight winding stem seals can increase the twist force necessary. After mine has been sitting for a while, I usually only wind it about 20-25 times, then put it on and let my wrist take care of the rest.
Old 22 December 2015, 03:37 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neslein View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here but I have been avidly reading the vast amount of information on this forum. I've had a couple of subs before but am now in possession of my first Daytona.
It's a 16520 made in the late 90's. I will add some photos later on this evening but first have a concern I would love some opinions on.
From what I gather the watch hasn't been used for a number of months. When I picked it up the watch had been worn and time set. It will mainly be my weekend watch but didn't manage this weekend due to work. I wore it today and had to set the time as the power reserve was depleted. Winding the watch was fine, a little tight but nothing I was worried about but setting the time wasn't the buttery smooth operation I had with my sub. There was a number of notches when setting it. I'm just curious if this is inherent with this watch movement, or due to it sitting for a few months unworn? This is my first serous horological investment and I'm worried that I've caused damage.

Thanks in advance for any help

Neslein
If it feels "nothchy" when winding, that is indicative of it needing a service.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Neslein
"TRF" Member

New Zenith Daytona Owner With Concerns

Thank you all for the replies, all very helpful.
I'm back home from work now and have spent a little time trying to isolate the problem, if it was when the hands were at a specific time or something of that nature.
I'm quite mechanically minded so generally know when something isn't as should be.
As this is my first chronograph I wasn't sure if it was this complication which added to the resistance of setting the time.
What I've noticed is that setting the time backwards the crown has the smooth operation I was expecting. When I operate the crown clockwise this is when it feels notchy. It's not as noticeable now as when I posted earlier, I think in the time between setting the watch and posting the problem amplified in my head. However there is still something a miss.
Upon testing the chrono(I will admit I didn't do this when I purchased) the minute marker will almost reach one and then flick back to the 30/0 position. Will this problem also cause the setting problem?
The winding itself is exactly as I would expect so no issues there. The watch has been recently services however it wasn't at an RSC

Thanks
Neslein is offline   Reply With Quote