The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2017, 12:34 PM   #1
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Buying a Patek and bringing it into the US

Hi everyone. I am on vacation outside the US and I may have gotten extremely lucky. I stumbled upon a Patek AD and enquirer about the blue 5711 I've been looking for and the salesperson told me if I was serious they were getting one tomorrow and I could have it! So obviously I want to jump on this but I am concerned about the duties bringing it into the US. If I do this I'm not interested in breaking any laws, I will declare the full value of the watch to customs. I am trying to figure out how much the duties will be but I can't figure it out based on anything I've read online. I've seen figures quoted from 4-10%. Does anyone have experience with this or know what the duty is likely to be? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chiko323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:57 PM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
When my brother had my dad purchase a Rolex for him, my dad just wore the watch onto the plane and didn't declare anything. The box was shipped separately to my brother.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 01:48 PM   #3
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
When my brother had my dad purchase a Rolex for him, my dad just wore the watch onto the plane and didn't declare anything. The box was shipped separately to my brother.

I realize that this is a possibility, but I don't want to risk it given the value of the watch. I want to do everything by the book here.

Old 15 May 2017, 01:59 PM   #4
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I would just take the worst case scenario tax/duty amount and go with that (you mentioned 10%). If you're comfortable with that then go for it. Anything less would be a bonus.

Old 15 May 2017, 02:06 PM   #5
arejay
"TRF" Member

This is a good place to start:
US Customs and Border Patrol
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a...ing-duty-rates

Honestly, most customs agents can't understand the Harmonized Tariff Schedule anyway, so it's usually under 6% being the highest (if you're really unlucky) with a average of 3.1%. 4.2% if they include the strap. Most of the duty is in the type of watch movement though.

arejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 06:21 PM   #6
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiko323 View Post
Hi everyone. I am on vacation outside the US and I may have gotten extremely lucky. I stumbled upon a Patek AD and enquirer about the blue 5711 I've been looking for and the salesperson told me if I was serious they were getting one tomorrow and I could have it! So obviously I want to jump on this but I am concerned about the duties bringing it into the US. If I do this I'm not interested in breaking any laws, I will declare the full value of the watch to customs. I am trying to figure out how much the duties will be but I can't figure it out based on anything I've read online. I've seen figures quoted from 4-10%. Does anyone have experience with this or know what the duty is likely to be? Thanks in advance

Which country are you buying it in?
I most the retail will already be below usa retail but if the retail is similar to what you would pay back home you need to see if the taxrefund benefits you more than the customs/import costs.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:03 PM   #7
Maltie
"TRF" Member

Just wear it on your wrist and the box in your handcarry, I never had any issues before bringing sometimes even 2 watches back from Asia
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:36 PM   #8
yoast
"TRF" Member

Wear the watch, ship the box.

Don't forget your tax refund if buying in EU
Old 15 May 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you want the watch and the exchange rate is right go for it. Wear the watch in, tell Customs and pay the tax. No issues and a great watch. Good luck finding one in the U.S. without paying a premium from a TS and you can not even get on the list at most AD's anymore. I look forward to the Incoming pictures.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 10:04 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If you are looking at 6% or less I would just declare it, if we were talking about 20% like in France or 40 like in Ukraine where I live then yeah I would say wear the watch and ship the box, but for 6% or less I wouldn't, even if there is no chance they would catch you if you are wearing it and don't have box or papers on you. In my country France and where I live Ukraine, it's just plain robbery and racket, 6% is IMO very reasonable.
And like was said don't forget tax refund if you are buying in any country which has tax refund
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 11:14 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Most cases reported here seem to average at 5% so no big deal, and if you are in the EU then you get back the VAT.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 01:14 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Watch and papers together

Whatever you decide keep the COO with the watch. The rest of the books and box are meaningless and easily replaced.

I would probably wear, have the COO and receipt with me and declare the watch at customs. I would ship the box and booklets/wallet.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 01:25 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Are you looking to flip it or keep it? You might be able to sell it from Europe and ship from there saving you all this hassle.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 01:41 AM   #14
InfinityNexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arejay View Post
This is a good place to start:
US Customs and Border Patrol
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a...ing-duty-rates

Honestly, most customs agents can't understand the Harmonized Tariff Schedule anyway, so it's usually under 6% being the highest (if you're really unlucky) with a average of 3.1%. 4.2% if they include the strap. Most of the duty is in the type of watch movement though.

How...what? How is anyone, who doesn't know watches, supposed to figure that out? Or how are you supposed to even know the value of certain parts of the watch (IE the case).
InfinityNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 01:44 AM   #15
jackal981
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM FPJ PP AP R
I think just wear the watch and keep the box in your luggage. 6% is a blessing compared to the robbery in my country (50% tax)
jackal981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 02:48 AM   #16
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityNexus View Post
How...what? How is anyone, who doesn't know watches, supposed to figure that out? Or how are you supposed to even know the value of certain parts of the watch (IE the case).
They don't know. I bought an Aqua from Europe and used the govts online calculator that they have thru Pitney Bowes and it said I was going to pay over $1k in duty. Ended up paying about $110.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 09:27 AM   #17
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice! If the watch does end up coming in I will just buy it and declare it and hope for the best! I am still skeptical about the AD though. They told me it was coming in today and when I came in they said to try on Wednesday. But you never know I guess. If it doesn't come in by the time I leave on Thursday I'll reveal where I am and maybe someone else on the forum can snag it

Old 17 May 2017, 02:18 AM   #18
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
So on my last trip back from Japan, I declared all 3 of the watches I bought (close to 30k) and surprisingly the agent told me "merry xmas" and let me through w/o paying duties.

Looking back, I should've headed straight to a lotto machine.

As others have said, you can always wear the watch and ship the box back while on your trip.
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 02:21 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Seems to me you're very lucky to find this one.

Pay the duties the taxes etc and enjoy it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 12:35 AM   #20
b_hol
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A / SD4K
Good Luck!
b_hol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 01:05 AM   #21
walds11
"TRF" Member

Good luck! I look forward to hearing your outcome.
Old 18 May 2017, 02:09 PM   #22
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Quick update. I stopped in today and was told it's not in yet but that I should stop in tomorrow afternoon before I leave and see if it has arrived. Hope it does as it will be my last day here!

Old 18 May 2017, 02:13 PM   #23
pp5575
Banned

Watch: 5131G
Quote:
Quick update. I stopped in today and was told it's not in yet but that I should stop in tomorrow afternoon before I leave and see if it has arrived. Hope it does as it will be my last day here!

Pay that AD FIRST. Then ask him ship the watch to your US Home.
pp5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 08:14 PM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Whatever you decide keep the COO with the watch. The rest of the books and box are meaningless and easily replaced.

I would probably wear, have the COO and receipt with me and declare the watch at customs. I would ship the box and booklets/wallet.
Why should he ship the box if he is declaring the watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
So on my last trip back from Japan, I declared all 3 of the watches I bought (close to 30k) and surprisingly the agent told me "merry xmas" and let me through w/o paying duties.

Looking back, I should've headed straight to a lotto machine.

As others have said, you can always wear the watch and ship the box back while on your trip.
This is just insane, WTF???? In my 2 countries, nonway they let you off the hook, in Ukraine they won't try to see what watch you are wearing, they don't give a crap, but in France if customs decide to control you and see you have an expensive watch, you can be required to produce sales receipt to prove you bought it in France, even if it is clearly far from being new, but in France our government has a bad habit of robbing it's citizens, if you are driving a vehicle there on a daily basis you are robbed all the time, even for 1km over the speed limit, my country is beautiful but so happy not to live there anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp5575 View Post
Pay that AD FIRST. Then ask him ship the watch to your US Home.
Yes that is a solution, if it is a legit AD no risk.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Why should he ship the box if he is declaring the watch?

This is just insane, WTF???? In my 2 countries, nonway they let you off the hook, in Ukraine they won't try to see what watch you are wearing, they don't give a crap, but in France if customs decide to control you and see you have an expensive watch, you can be required to produce sales receipt to prove you bought it in France, even if it is clearly far from being new, but in France our government has a bad habit of robbing it's citizens, if you are driving a vehicle there on a daily basis you are robbed all the time, even for 1km over the speed limit, my country is beautiful but so happy not to live there anymore...

Yes that is a solution, if it is a legit AD no risk.
He should ship the box unless he wants to carry even more heavy junk while traveling. I assume he has enough to lug around already.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:43 AM   #26
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the late update on this. The watch did not come in before I had to leave. The salesperson said she would ship it to me when it comes in (supposedly this week) but haven't heard from her yet. I have a feeling this ones never going to come through

Old 24 May 2017, 03:09 AM   #27
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Sorry for the late update on this. The watch did not come in before I had to leave. The salesperson said she would ship it to me when it comes in (supposedly this week) but haven't heard from her yet. I have a feeling this ones never going to come through
Call them up and wire the funds Now

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote