The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2017, 10:22 PM   #61
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply savings aren't important. My bad. I have the same horse you do...believe me.

It's just the incessant focus on discounts, discounts, discounts gets pretty tiresome here. "What's the average I should expect on a Sub at an AD I've never purchased from" etc etc. buying at an airport / foreign country / risking customs to try to save on purchase price and then pay Duty?

And here - at a Boutique no less.

This one I believe was all about buying a gold model...and *still* discount-focused. Why not buy Steel model then, and pocket plenty of $$$ and enjoy the brand? That's all.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:50 PM   #62
Starter
"TRF" Member

I can confirm that Rolex Boutique Barcelona does discount... That said, they are offering about 5% for steel models, while Rolex ADs in Spain will easily go 15%.
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:54 PM   #63
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk22 View Post
Rolex boutiques are prohibited from discounting. ADs are also prohibited from selling below retail. This is how Rolex protects the brand.

Now behind the scenes, does Rolex look the other way when they know an AD is moving stock thru a GM dealer just by historical volume from a particular AD? You bet. They still want to make money and move product. But the official line is, no discounting Rolex over the counter.
ADs are not prohibited from discounting.
RolexUSA discourages the practice, but can not force it.
Go to the boutique to try on any model then shop for your watch.
My AD matches almost any offer.
I know of significant discounts on all gold products.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:00 AM   #64
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
AD's are not prohibited from discounting. That notion is ridiculous. Politely discouraged, perhaps in some markets, but prohibited, no, as it would be illegal in many jurisdictions due to prevailing consumer and competition laws.

How much discount you get depends on what piece you want, and how you approach it.

Just like anything else in life.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:18 AM   #65
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk22 View Post
Rolex boutiques are prohibited from discounting. ADs are also prohibited from selling below retail. This is how Rolex protects the brand.
Please cite your source for this statement.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:04 AM   #66
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Please cite your source for this statement.
He can't quote a source.

Price fixing is now illegal in most countries, so to get around it, you ask for a discount and they smile and say sorry Sir, we don't need to discount on an item of this quality.

The instructions to the staff are probably verbal because written instructions can incriminate.

Rolex are setting up more and more boutiques and that is costing them money. How do you think they intend to recoup it ?

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:50 AM   #67
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
I can confirm that Rolex Boutique Barcelona does discount... That said, they are offering about 5% for steel models, while Rolex ADs in Spain will easily go 15%.
This is of interest to me as I will be in Barcelona next month.

I guess i'll just have to go to an AD instead of the boutiques.

Thanks!
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:57 AM   #68
Fernandezk
"TRF" Member

I purchased my first Rolex in NJ at a Sydney Thomas Rolex boutique that only sells new rolexes. They wouldn't negotiate over the Submariner that I just purchased but i am purchasing a Datejust two tone with a jubilee bracelet and said he can negotiate somewhat on that one because it has gold. Plus ship to state without a retailer to you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fernandezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:58 AM   #69
Fernandezk
"TRF" Member

I also was given a Rolex pen with my purchase

Fernandezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:17 AM   #70
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
He can't quote a source.
Yes well that was a given.

Quote:

Rolex are setting up more and more boutiques and that is costing them money. How do you think they intend to recoup it ?

Regards

Mick
Not sure what your point is/was.

I have bought three Rolex watches all from a boutique and gotten discounts on all of them.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:26 AM   #71
srf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
...so what's the discount on this guy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porcupine.jpg (96.3 KB, 414 views)
srf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:58 AM   #72
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes well that was a given.

Not sure what your point is/was.

I have bought three Rolex watches all from a boutique and gotten discounts on all of them.

The point is simple. As more boutiques are opened up and more ADs closed down (only the good ones and the obedient will retain the franchise), it will be easier for Rolex to control prices and resale to grey dealers. At the moment discounting is possible because lots of ADs and lots of grey dealers are chasing the same customers.

Relying entirely on ADs who are private businesses is just not working for Rolex. There is reselling of high demand items to grey dealers, discounting on lesser watches and it is all over the place. You can get a discount in one AD but not another.

Having everything sold via a boutique gives Rolex 100% control and there are no naughty ADs to upset the applecart.

Regards

Mick
Old 24 May 2017, 09:19 AM   #73
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
I doubt you will find any boutique in Spain that will discount 15% on men's SS sport models.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:54 AM   #74
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
An AD in Toronto offered a 10% discount on an SS. Very tempting!

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:50 AM   #75
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The point is simple. As more boutiques are opened up and more ADs closed down (only the good ones and the obedient will retain the franchise), it will be easier for Rolex to control prices and resale to grey dealers. At the moment discounting is possible because lots of ADs and lots of grey dealers are chasing the same customers.

Relying entirely on ADs who are private businesses is just not working for Rolex. There is reselling of high demand items to grey dealers, discounting on lesser watches and it is all over the place. You can get a discount in one AD but not another.

Having everything sold via a boutique gives Rolex 100% control and there are no naughty ADs to upset the applecart.

Regards

Mick

In the US, as far as I know Rolex does not own any boutiques/retailers so I'm not sure how they can control prices in the US... "boutiques" and ADs are free to sell a watch at MSRP or at a discount.... is the Rolex business mod different in the U.K. or other countries ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:30 AM   #76
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:

Regards

Mick
well discounting is also possible because of a number of laws in place to protect consumers as well.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:12 PM   #77
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by azs.77 View Post
An AD in Toronto offered a 10% discount on an SS. Very tempting!

Can you kindly share with a fellow Canadian the name of the AD in T.O?
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:08 PM   #78
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
well discounting is also possible because of a number of laws in place to protect consumers as well.
Yes that is perfectly true and it applies almost to every country where WTO rules along with anti competition laws.

However if Rolex control the outlets, the outlets can very politely refuse to negotiate and the competition part is covered by the fact that you can go elsewhere and buy another brand of watch. What Rolex cannot legally do is FORCE an AD not to negotiate and that is their problem and why their pricing structure is a bit of a mess. However they can legally control prices in any outlet that they own. At the moment, there are ADs competing with Boutiques, so discounting is still possible, but once boutiques start taking over, discounting will become less prevalent.

Regards

Mick
Old 24 May 2017, 07:00 PM   #79
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
A boutique is basically just an AD that only sells Rolex and Tudor. They aren't operated by Rolex. Here in HK, boutiques are run by the AD operators. Both types of shop offer the same discounts. I imagine the boutiques here supply the local resellers just as readily as the ADs. Perhaps more so, as they have more stock to shift.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:10 PM   #80
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A boutique is basically just an AD that only sells Rolex and Tudor. They aren't operated by Rolex. Here in HK, boutiques are run by the AD operators. Both types of shop offer the same discounts. I imagine the boutiques here supply the local resellers just as readily as the ADs. Perhaps more so, as they have more stock to shift.
Adam

I was advised that Rolex owned boutiques and that the staff were Rolex employees.

Mick
Old 24 May 2017, 07:13 PM   #81
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Adam

I was advised that Rolex owned boutiques and that the staff were Rolex employees.

Mick
As far as I know, Rolex only owns one shop, and it's in Geneva.
Old 24 May 2017, 07:18 PM   #82
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
As far as I know, Rolex only owns one shop, and it's in Geneva.
Ok this is now confusing but it explains the lack of discipline in the pricing structure.

Mick
Old 24 May 2017, 07:20 PM   #83
Old Expat Beast

This thread is from about six years ago, but I doubt Rolex has been on a global property buying binge since then. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=197714
Old 25 May 2017, 06:48 AM   #84
homerish
"TRF" Member

So I'm going to London next month and planning to get my new dj41 rose gold and chocolate dial. I wanted to know if any1 knows an AD where they recently got a discount
homerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:59 AM   #85
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok this is now confusing but it explains the lack of discipline in the pricing structure.

Mick
Rolex contracts with AD's in the US to run their Rolex only boutiques. For example, in the Vegas forum shops it is run and owned by Hyde Park Jewlers in Colorado. In NYC, they are owned and run by Wempe. I don't know about the NYC location but in Vegas, there have been cases of discounts given. Although they say no discount *wink wink*
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:15 AM   #86
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Discounts at rolex boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf52 View Post
...so what's the discount on this guy?

Depends if it is pre-buttered.

I have a great small AD and he works magic. I have never bought from a boutique but was always quoted msrp. As a serial flipper that won't work for me.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:32 AM   #87
Speed
"TRF" Member

And on it goes...
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:15 PM   #88
TuckerHorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126000, 11623
These threads are getting funnier
TuckerHorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:10 PM   #89
Starter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
I doubt you will find any boutique in Spain that will discount 15% on men's SS sport models.
Boutiques are different than Authorized Dealers. I stated that the Boutique was offering roughly 5%, while ADs offered 15%. I can confirm this because that’s the discount I was offered on an Explorer I in the Majorca AD... Which I bought after negotiating it down to 16% off.
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:50 PM   #90
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghaiii View Post
is that in canada or in the uk? if it's in canada then you got such a nice dealer. the company that retails rolex in vietnam only gives maximum 15% discount.

Can you please let me know where to find the Rolex Retailer in Vietnam. I will be traveling to Vietnam within the next couple of months.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote